Small project ideas to crochet while travelling?

I have the good fortune to be going along with a family that I babysit for full-time for a week this summer when they go to Ocean City, NJ. I'll have to limit what I pack, as we're flying, and I'm used to being able to pack for a car trip and having a tote bag full of stuff to do, including whatever crochet project I'm working on, which is usually a blanket.

:think So...I need ideas for projects that I can take along with me to work on during the week, as well as something small enough to take on the plane with me. I'm looking forward to working on some small and quick projects instead of a large afghan. But I'm sort of at a loss as to what patterns to look for online to take with me. Any ideas?

ooh, little animal sounds like fun! I have a baby cousin who'd love to have a new buddy anytime at all. I'd just have to make sure to make two, so that the toddler of the family I'm with can have one, too. she loves when I make her chain crochet bracelets and necklaces, so maybe I could take some scraps of yarn to make and entertain her if we have to wait for any long periods of time.

I like making dishcloths... often take those to work on at work for a few minutes here and there because they are easy to pick up and set down. Also the small balls of cotton are nice in size.

I like making dishcloths... often take those to work on at work for a few minutes here and there because they are easy to pick up and set down. Also the small balls of cotton are nice in size.

That sounds nice, too, especially since cotton would be cooler to work with and since it'll be summer I won't want to get sweaty hands working with acrylic or wool. I might pack some a ball or two in my bag to carry around when we're out at the beach for waiting in line and such. Great idea!

Could be a good time to learn some thread crochet. I've been doing the Newbie CALs, with size 3 thread, and it's not hard at all. Again, small balls, cotton and small hooks, too.

I'll second the dishcloths, too.

Stuffed animals require stuffing, and eyeballs, and noses or embroidery floss - lots of little fiddly bits - sometimes, so keep that in mind when you pick out patterns.

Or how about the 63 Stitches afghan? The squares are quite small, and you could just pack maybe 4 skeins of yarn and just make squares until you run out? I highly recommend Space Bags for your yarn, btw. I use them to store my yarn at home, and they really do work.

Personally, I recommend thread projects. I switched to thread because 1) it's cooler in the summer, 2) you can make summer garments with it, 3) it gives you a bit of a challenge if you are just starting out, but the stitches are easier to see, and 4) it takes up much less space than yarn, costs less, and you typically get so much more for your money. If you're interested in Irish lace, the motifs are small and take up a minimal amount of space. You could crochet a filet drawstring bag and store your motifs in it. Also, you can experiment with different colors, since Irish lace doesn't need to be made in just white, ecru, or black. If you don't want to try Irish lace, try some thread filet projects, maybe a name doily for the family you work for, or even some other types of doilies as well. You can make thread jewelry (very popular right now), bookmarks, washcloths (they're soooo much better for your face than kitchen cotton, as it exfoliates better), headbands, barrette motifs (you can glue the motifs onto steel barrettes which can be found at any large box craft store), and so much more. The only downside is that you might not be permitted to use the steel hooks on an airplane, so you can use plastic hooks with your thread on the plane to make bath scrubbies (CPC has a few links for some), summer scarves, beach cover-ups, stockings, shawls, etc. (the love knot is quite pretty with a larger hook and size 10 thread).

I hope I helped!

Thread sounds like a great idea, but I wouldn't try it for the first time while traveling. If you don't like it, you're stuck with it.

Animals are a great idea, but don't forget the stuffing. Stuffing can take up a lot of room. Or just make the pieces and save the stuffing for when you get home.

Granny squares or dishcloths are great ideas. Anything with smaller pieces that can be assembled later.

I'm not sure if they are allowing scisssors on planes now (they might limit the length of the blades). There is a neat tool that you can buy at craft stores that will cut yarn and thread. I don't know what it is called, but you can wear it on a necklace or attach it to a keychain. It's like a small pendent with indents that conceal a tiny blade. My mom loves hers.

I've done a little thread crochet, and it about wore my eyes out. I'm also not sure they'd let me take those tiny metal hooks because they might consider them potential weapons. I was planning on taking a plastic or wood crochet hook with a ball of yarn and a new pattern to play with on the plane, and then scraps to make bracelets to entertain the toddler we'll have along.

I think I'd probably not pack the stuffing for a toy and just put it together after we get back home.

Thanks for all the great ideas and suggestions. I would never have thought of this stuff on my own. I usually use a small pair of blunt folding scissors to cut the yarn, but I might just take nail clippers on the carryon bag just to be safe. I can't see anyone being able to cause any harm with the dull scissors, but I've heard they don't often allow them on board unless it's in the checked luggage, so I'll put them in there and then transfer them to my tote bag to carry around town while we're there. :)

Socks are a great small project, as well as items for the kitchen like dishcloths and such. My personal favorite are granny squares as I don't need a pattern with me, just yarn and a hook! You could even make little fridgies, flowers and even a small purse!

Socks are a great small project, as well as items for the kitchen like dishcloths and such. My personal favorite are granny squares as I don't need a pattern with me, just yarn and a hook! You could even make little fridgies, flowers and even a small purse!

I can't knit socks yet, barely even knit a scarf because I've mostly done crochet so I haven't developed much patience to learn to knit more. Can you recommend a basic crochet sock pattern for me, cause that sounds interesting?!

I can't knit socks yet, barely even knit a scarf because I've mostly done crochet so I haven't developed much patience to learn to knit more. Can you recommend a basic crochet sock pattern for me, cause that sounds interesting?!

I can't knit too well either, so I crochet socks!!! There is a "toes up" sock pattern that I think was on CPC where you start with the toes and it's really easy to do...

I know there's also a brand new one from the CrochetMe website (free pattern) for socks which look cool as well!

Just jump in the water and give it a try! The worst that can happen is that it doesn't turn out and you'll have to frog it! :hook

I can't knit too well either, so I crochet socks!!! There is a "toes up" sock pattern that I think was on CPC where you start with the toes and it's really easy to do...

I know there's also a brand new one from the CrochetMe website (free pattern) for socks which look cool as well!

Just jump in the water and give it a try! The worst that can happen is that it doesn't turn out and you'll have to frog it! :hook

I am an expert at frogging. That alone might take up half my on flight crochet time. :)

I also do dishcloths (or washcloths). My last trip I bought thread and decided that I'd start my first ever doily but that didn't happen. I also like doing bookmarks/bookthongs.

Cozies can be good little projects, too. If you have a cell phone, camera, MP3 player, or even an addiction to lip gloss (lol!), you could do up little cases to protect them from scratches and such.

And pretty much any pattern using granny squares would be good, you could just bring one or two skeins of yarn and pump out squares.

If I have to travel light and leave my huge WIP Hamper behind I like to make facecloths, small purses or pouches and bookmarks. I can't see the bedspread thread either and can't hold it with these old hands. I use #3 thread for bookmarks which is a cotton to use for clothing. Everyone's offered up great suggestions...now you may have too many take alongs :lol Have a fun and safe trip :manyheart

Thanks, all! You can never have too many take alongs, only too little space left for clothes and not enough time to crochet. :)

I think I'm going to go through my yarn stash and pull out some yarn to try making crochet socks for sure, even though it'll be summer and I won't be wearing them, they'd be fun to try and easy enough of a new pattern. I'm also thinking of trying to crochet cotton into a sun hat of some kind. Maybe decorate a pair of flipflops with crochet, too. Those I could definitely use on the trip. :)

there are a couple simple halter/tank top patterns out there also that seem fairly easy. i will be trying on soon. and since you are traveling with a toddler she would be able to wear it. and cotton does not take up alot of room.

if you want to do some stuffed animals and dolls, i would just save the stuffing for when you get home!

I always have to have pot holders and Christmas ornaments. Also, I keep one afghan project that is done in either strips, squares or other pieces. Also, if you do sweaters, this is good. Do all your piece work and put together this winter.

Yes, I must say, my car, work, dr appointments, its always either, granny squares, dishclothes, or bookmarks, and I NEVER NEVER leave home with out SOMETHING in my purse to do...lol...you never know when your going to get stuck in traffic, or what, and I think of it as a better way to spend my time than to get mad...

I love all these ideas! I'm going to have to save a list of them with my stash so that even when I'm not going on a trip I can pack a small project in my purse all the time. Love the sun hat idea and the toddler halter top, too!

Archived