Household Items for Crochet Tools

I know we all have those little items around the house, that we found great uses for. Let's share and see. Here's mine.;)

Bobby Pins = Great stich markers when that is all you have on hand. There always in my purse.

Sandwich Bags = Great for storing scrap yarn, and keep them in one place in your stash.

Tape = Used to help thread my yarn through my needles.

mm..... It think that is mainly it for me.

I use a pitcher for my yarn. They make those yarn jars with a hole on top but they cost to much. So I bought a cheep pitcher at WalMart I just thread the yarn through the spout. Here's a pic. I thought it was a very nice alternative. Let's see, $10 or $2. What would you choose?

I also use small scraps of yarn as a marker. I guess that's more because, untill recently I didn't even know they made things for that.

I have a small plastic box to hold my projects and things to work with. I put my hooks, scrap yarn for markers, small pair of scissors, needle to sew items together, tape measure, and sometimes little rattles or squeakers to put in small baby toys.

Like isabelbell, I use the sandwich bags too.

My mom did that when she was in the Keys with us couple of years ago. It works great for balls of yarn that you have rewound

I also use a sandwich bag, cut a hole in the corner, thread my yarn through the hole and the ball doesn't roll away.

I use a pitcher for my yarn. They make those yarn jars with a hole on top but they cost to much. So I bought a cheep pitcher at WalMart I just thread the yarn through the spout. Here's a pic. I thought it was a very nice alternative. Let's see, $10 or $2. What would you choose?

Great Idea!

The pitcher idea is brilliant! I was going to use this huge tub of mayo after it's empty, but couldn't figure out how to make the hole on top so it wouldn't fray the yarn. Maybe turning one of those rubber key color-coders inside out and applying it to the hole? I like the pitcher idea better...it's already made! :cheer

a coffee can is also a great idea for ball yarn or thread. just put a small hole in the plastic lid and ta da pull your thewad threw. no mess. also ive seen where people use 2 litter bottles for skeins of yarn. seen it onthe net. not sure where. they even used a backpack i believe to put the bottles in if using three shein. just though i would add to your listes.

Being vegetarians, we buy salad in the large plastic containers alot. I use them to store projects I'm working on and to put my yarn in when I'm crocheting. It keeps them contained and off the floor.

When I was a kid, we used large oatmeal containers for lots of things. We painted or covered them with sticky (shelf?) paper and made a twisted yarn handle. With a hole in the lid, they make great yarn holders. I've also used the round baby wipes containers for yarn balls. I use the old plastic pins that held the brush curlers in your hair to pin squares that I'm sewing together.

Ellie 13

Rounded point kiddie scissors are great for the crochet bag. They won't poke a hole through your bag like pointy scissors can. I usually purchase extra when the school supplies are on sale in August and September. This way, if I pay less than a buck and I lose them, it's not a big deal.

Post-it notes are great for marking where you are in a pattern. Clear binder cover sheets can keep your pattern nice and neat. Get your pattern laminated for long-term use.

Just a few things to add to the list.

:manyheart

Here's what I do for my yarns. I don't use the sandwich bags. Don't have any, don't use it. lol What I use is the plastic bags w/ handles. You get them in different sizes and I use the size I need. I put the yarn in and thread the yarn out where I tie the handles together. I don't make it too tight just enough so I could pull the yarn out. When I'm finished with that color I untie and get the other color I need. When I'm not working on it it all goes in the bag and it dosen't get dirty. Depending on what I'm working on I could put everything in the bag, yarn, hook, pattern.

PatA.

What I use is the plastic bags w/ handles. You get them in different sizes and I use the size I need. I put the yarn in and thread the yarn out where I tie the handles together. I don't make it too tight just enough so I could pull the yarn out. When I'm finished with that color I untie and get the other color I need. When I'm not working on it it all goes in the bag and it dosen't get dirty. Depending on what I'm working on I could put everything in the bag, yarn, hook, pattern.

PatA.

The grocery bags right? I did that same thing with one of the first projects I took on the road. It worked very well.

I end up using paper clips for stitch markers a lot of the time. Mostly because I crochet to kill time at work and they're pretty handy around here.

Nora (can you tell I'm trying to get some posts in today? I don't want to be a "New Neighbor" anymore) :lol

I went to AC Moore and Micheal's looking for a broomstick needle, they had the size 35 and 50 knitting needles, but they were only about 14 inches long and expensive. So I didn't buy one, then my DD and I went to gfive below ( dollar store here) and they had a stick ball bat, it's about 40 inches long and the size of a broomstick with a grip at one end. It was $2. Of course I bought it, went home and instructed my DS that it wasn't his. :)

I've used quite a few things for crochet that were not meant for crochet.

My main WIP sits in a small folding magazine rack beside my recliner where I crochet. Cost $1 at the Dollar Tree.

My "traveling" hooks go in a clear green plastic manicure case $1 at Family Dollar. I took the manicure items out & put them in my vanity.

I often use nail clippers for yarn cutters if I can't find my yarn cutter or scissors.

Like others I made my own yarn-tainer --out of a round harder plastic kitchen container & drilling a small hole in the lid.

I use Febreeze to keep my yarn cabinet & WIP's smelling fresh. Love the smell of working with projects that smell like febreeze!

In a pinch I've used bread ties as stitch markers lol

I have a "clicking" stitch counter at home but for my traveling bag I threaded numbered beads onto a pipe cleaner & twisted it into a bracelet that goes on the handle of my tote. It's easy to slide the numbers but the row I'm on stays put, away from the other numbers. :) I have even twisted the ends into a bracelet around my steering wheel when I was parked for a while & crocheting like when I pick up my teen from work & he says 8 pm but I am sitting there in the parking lot until 9! :lol

There are more I'm sure that I use or have used. I'm pretty thrifty!

Well I will add mine on here as well

This may sound REALLY strange but I use a empty Corona box..one that bottles came in. If you flip it over it has 6 evenly spaced holes at the bottem helps when your using multiple skeins of yarn.

I also use sandwich bags for scraps and things

I have used bobby pins and also Safety pins but using a scrap peice of yarn works best for me.

I also used a toothbrush holder for my hooks and an old pringles can when I needed to take more of them

I use the stickies to mark changes I have made or notes on a pattern that help me out

I use a counter that goes on knitting needles as a row counter

I think that is it for me though....

Archived