one skein of yarn for $40?

i really never should've discovered ebay and it's endless yarn possibilities.... i just found a skein of yarn by "yarn pirate" and apparently it's "rare" and it's in a NEAPOLITAN colorway. that's my absolutele favorite color combo, i buy anything i see in it. i'm almost, okay, i'm tempted. am i crazy? should i do it?

....you guys are right, i kept looking and i kept seeing all these awesome deals, i just scored 6 skeins of a discontinued lime color of lion cotton for $12.... and plus, bernat crochet cotton comes in neapolitan, and it's only like $3 a skein... i could get SOO much more of that for $40 =)

thanks for the kick in the butt guys, i needed that LOL

well, how big of a skein is it? :D

if you think about it, a skein of Colinette that has 200 yards can cost upwards of $20 - and you'd need several to make even a scarf! yesterday I was looking at yarn at Joanne's, and even with the sale prices I found that I could spend less getting hand-dyed yarn on eBay at Mystical Yarn Creations or Over The Rainbow Yarns - two shops that I've bought a LOT of yarn from and never been disappointed.

I'm working on some wearables right now that take between 1500 and 2500 yards - some of which the "recommended" yarn isn't even available locally - so I figure if I can find a yarn I like more and if it nets at a lesser price and I can make something I absolutely LOVE:manyheart I'm gonna go for it!

When I am making a gift for someone (usually a shawl) I spend alot of money on my yarn. I have the extra funds so thats OK. The only problem is that sometimes, one skein or hank isn't enough and you need two of them, and then it gets expensive.

But I feel that if you love it and can afford it, go for it!!!

My fear is that if it's *that* rare, you won't be able to get more if you run out of it on a project. I'd say it'd have to be one HECK of a big skein for that kind of a deal.

:eek The guilt would kill me.......quickly.:eek

But, I suppose that if money were not really an issue, it wouldn't be so bad. But, the guilt would still get me...$40 would go a long way to helping someone in need. Like buying them a few bags of groceries or something. I guess I'll always kind of feel that way....growing up poor can do that to you . My brother told me once that if I ever hit the lottery one of two things would happen. I would either be poor quickly because I would give it all away, or i would die very rich because I waste very little. :laughroll

I just did a search, and there are 2 hanks of this yarn up for bid right now, the one you found and another that's at $31.00 now. Make yourself a nummy pair of booties! Or a real lacy shawl???

If you love it and can afford it - go for it - if it's out of your price range, hobby lobby has an online 40% off coupon, in the Sunday paper, Michaels has a 40% off coupon, and I think I just got a JoAnn's coupon in the mail - prolly one on line for there too . . . .

stop tempting me yall, LOL. i keep thinking that there's nothing i could ever make with it to justify paying that much... it would just remain this sacred skein of yarn in my stash that i just can't use but want to so bad lol.

and come on, do you know how many skeins of some other good yarn i can get for $40?!?!?!

it's just like how i am with purses: i have a purse fetish, and i can't seem to keep the same purse for more like 2 months (and i rarely use it THAT long). so i am not a person that should be buying the dooney and bourkes or the coaches or louis vuittons. i've bought a couple dooneys cuz i just love them, but they were the ones that lasted 2 months. this yarn is the dooney LOL.

I have spent that much on a skein of lace handpainted yarn recently for myself a shawl. It is silk and has 1200 yds in it. I have the pattern for it and just need to start.

So like most of us say if you can afford to make yourself something with that beauty then go for it. Everyone needs to splurge on themselves once in a while. :D

IF I had something very special I needed or wanted to make and would LOVE forever, and would use that yarn, yes, if I had the money I would buy it, BUT I would have to have that VERY special thing.

I would certainly buy a hook without thinking twice for that amount, however, I think of ALL the things I can make with one hook, versus one skien of yarn,,,guess I am not much help...lol :hook

you know yarn pirate has a etsy shop . but right now she is not able to dye any yarns cause she cut the top of her finger off,(read it in her blog)there is a mr yarnpirate too hehe anyways go to

www.yarnpirate.com/

and you can see what i am talking about. what i also found interesting is they are here in washington state in everett washington. we have some members who live there , do any of you know them hehe. little hint too, once they have the yarn done again , they were charging 23.00 for the same yarn as e-bay wanted 40 for. check it out peeps

Wow! I say if you wanna splurge, sure, but otherwise....It had better be 6000 yds and make you breakfast!:D

Archived