How do you feel Crochet enriches your life ?

Crochet enriches my life in many ways.

For one, I just love to see the look of bewilderment (what is this?), then happiness (it's for me?) on someone's face when they open a gift I have crocheted for them. It's just precious to watch them try to figure out what this soft, stitched item could be. Then the big grin. Then the realization of "Oh my God, you did all this work for me!"

I love to create with crochet. Even though I collect a lot of patterns, I rarely follow any of them. I usually have an idea in my head of what I want to make, and I use the patterns for references. An example is a pattern for a tote bag that seems just the right size to carry a lot of yarn, so I collect that pattern for the bag dimensions, but not the sts, colors, etc. Another pattern is for a purse, but it's the type of bag I want to make, and when I read it, I see that I can enlarge it to the dimensions listed in the first pattern and I can make it totebag size, so I save that pattern also. So I do this pattern collecting, and have many for references when I need them for techniques, sizing, st types, etc.

I like making warm items. In New York State, a good deal of the year is cold. Wrapping up in a crocheted afghan or blanket is warmer than a commercial one.

I decided a few months ago that I will never again crochet an item I don't like or for a person I don't like. Now all my work is "Happy Crochet." I am happy doing it. I feel good doing it. My work is just flowing. I am calm and not tense.

I will never again work with yarn I don't like. What is the point of struggling with yarn? There are so many yarns today, so what if one is ornery? I swatched some homespun and I hated it. I swatched it again, and it didn't get any better. Fine. I gave it to a friend who said she had never tried it either. Once she did, she said she was doing OK with it.

I will never again work under a time constraint. Other people want something and they want it yesterday OR I MUST have this done by Christmas (self-imposed.) No more of this. I don't want to. It's my life and I don't want to.

I am making more for me. When I realized that I've been crocheting for 30 years and I've only kept 3 items, I decided this (2008) is ME year. I already made myself a chenille bag for my Tarot cards. I have in progress a shrug, shawl, and pair of slipper socks. The slipper socks are nearly done ~ just one more heel in one and they'll be finished. They are the first ones I've ever made and they are so cute. I'm not using a pattern for the slipper socks either ~ it's the Grafton Fiber guidelines, and you make them to fit yourself, and try them on as you go. So I am having fun doing all this, and it's so strange making a bunch of stuff for myself!

I stopped for the last couple days though to make a Happy Bag for a friend who is very ill and has to stay home for quite a while. This is a rainbow bag to cheer her up. I just finished it.

I'll have to stop again in a couple days to get a stuffed moose made for a birthday gift for my sister. I do have a pattern for this one. She will get such a kick out of this!

Crochet, to me, keeps my hands busy and my mind challenged. This makes my life physically and mentally full and complete. I don't have time to get bored or depressed from what's lacking in my life. I love to figure things out, like puzzles, and crochet is part of that creative challenge. I think of something to make, that I think might be difficult, and I enjoy breaking it down and getting it all figured out. Until I do, I'm thinking on the pattern constantly. It's a great sense of accomplishment when I finally do get it all figured out. I feel like I've won a battle. I think that I get a "high" from tapping into the riight side of my brain. It's much more liberated over there. LOL.

Crocheting for me is a great stress reliever. I completely forget about all of life's little issues and just concentrate on what I am making. I also get a great feeling when I have completed a project. There is nothing like that feeling of accomplishment. I love making gifts for people and seeing their response. Crocheting just makes me feel better about myself!

Being able to crochet has given me an outlet for my creative side... I used to sew a lot, but it hurts my back to sit for long hours at the sewing machine... whereas with crocheting I can lean back and relax, pain free. It has a calming effect, too, which is what I've needed for the past year with all the stress I've been having... 2 deaths in the family, and some marital problems that took months to work out.

I love to be able to give someone a gift that was handmade by me, as well. My hubby does a lot of woodworking and so we encourage each other's talents. Which brings us a little closer. So it has been sort of therapy for me lately. I get a real thrill going to a yarn store and looking and feeling of all the pretty yarns and threads, thinking of ways to use them. It's sort of been a drain on my pocketbook, but who cares as long as I'm happy and like my hubby says, "If Mama ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy!"

Well, I taught myself how to crochet when I was out of a job, so at the time, it made the days go by faster until I could work again.

Now, I just do it because I thoroughly enjoy it, it's relaxing to me, therapeutic in a way... especially since my job is very stressful at times.

I do get a high level of enjoyment in giving a gift to someone that I made, so that is also a part of the reason why I do it... It's also challenging at times, and I enjoy a good challenge.

Crochet enriches my life in so many ways. It helps me use my creative mind to solve problems. It helps me relax after a long day. It helps me give to others in the form of hats, afghans and other items. It helps me learn new things when I try a pattern.

Crochet really enhances my life in many ways and I am truly grateful to my grandma, who spend many afternoons teaching me. I miss her so much.

:manyheart

Thats an easy but hard question - I am not the best crocheter in the world, but I do love pampering others and when I am able to make something with my hands and I give it to someone who totally appreciates it, it makes me feel so good and what better feeling can one have.

Crocheting makes me feel like I have a small talent that others don't have therefore, making me feel special.

It makes me feel special . . . and I love when I put a blanket that i made around me - hard to explain, but even more so, wrapping myself in something that a complete stranger (well a C'ville member) made for me - how wonderful is that :c9

The creation process is very relaxing for me; with work, school, and obligations, my mind is always going but crochet time is a time when that is the only thing on my mind. My mind is quiet and it calms me! Frogging teaches me persistence and patience and pieces in which I leave a mistake that's not so noticeable teaches me not to be so hard on myself and to accept my imperfections as much as my strengths.

Crochet keeps me to relax :hook

and gives me a sense of accomplishment. It allows me to create something with just a piece of string or yarn. I can use my own creativity, or use a pattern and the feeling is still the same. Through the internet I have a magical passageway to the friends out there who also crochet and love the feeling it gives them as I do. I can talk to them, trade with them, and support them with gifts, all because I have this site called Crochetville. :hug

All of the above....it is so hard to put into words exactly how much I love this craft. But there is one thing I do know, I will probably die with a crochet hook in my hand.:hook

All kidding aside, crochet is medical therapy for me. With Multiple Sclerosis, you tend to loose a lot of your cognitive skills.:think A truly complicated crochet pattern is a real brain exercise for me, just like working a crossword puzzle. It forces me to focus, at times refocus in order to be able to complete the process. Not only do I have a feeling of great pride in the piece I have created, but also in the accomplishment of the creation itself.:jumpyay Not only do I have ms, but I am also a bottle blonde from the South, so I truly have 3 strikes against me!!! :devilIt is a wondrous marvel that I am able to complete anything!!:lol

Archived