End chains

To begin this, I have been crocheting most of my life. I am almost 53 and learned crochet when 5 years old. Today I discovered something that made me feel so DUMB!!! How could I not know to do this?!?!?!?!:think

When crocheting and you reach the end of a row, you typically chain then turn. I always have hated the way the ends of rows look. So today I did something a little different. When I turn, I first slip stitch into the last stitch made on the previous row, then do my chains for the first stitch of the new row. It is amazing the difference it has made in the way the piece looks. Much more finished appearance. I know ya'll probably think I am as dumb as a doorknob for just now figuring this out!:devil

But I am thrilled!!!:manyheart

I don't think you are dumb at all, I think you are pretty smart for figuring that out. I'm going to try that the next chance I get! Thank you for sharing that tip!

Linda Y

I agree. I recently read a pattern that stated "turn. Next row, Chain 3 then work DC...." First time I ever ran across that and now you've confirmed the success. So why have we spent so many years on Chain, then turn??

I feel the same way you do. I don't like the way the end of the row looks. I am going to try what you did and see how I like that. Thanks for the tip.

You will be amazed the difference it makes. :clap Now there is no longer that ugly gap at the beginning of the new row!! I really am so tickled at this. :yay I have been making fat bottom bags like crazy, and they look so much better done this way.:cheer

I agree. I recently read a pattern that stated "turn. Next row, Chain 3 then work DC...." First time I ever ran across that and now you've confirmed the success. So why have we spent so many years on Chain, then turn??

There is no real difference in " chain 3 , turn" and " turn , chain 3". Both of these methods give virually the same appearence to the edge of the item. Catheryn;s method involves using a slip stitch first, then chainining, which does give a more pleasing appearence.

Ok, confused :think So you chain to the very end, then instead of chaining 1 and turning, you are turning first and slip stitching where?

Crochet to the end of the row you are working on. Now turn your work.

Once you turn, slip stitch into the stitch you just completed.....then make your chain. Then work as directed.

I've always hated the look of crocheted edges, and have usually trimmed all the way around with sc or something.

Thank you for this idea, and your clarification. I will happily try it.

Great idea! I usually do a hdctog with the first "real" st in the first skipped st to fill the gap, but it can get bulky. I'm doing a Fat Bottom right now, and it's coming out okay with my little extra stitch technique, but next one I make, I'll use your ss technique for sure! Anything that creates less bulk is good for me.

No, you definately are not dumb. I've never knew there was a better way and always hated the way the end of the row looked. I'm looking forward to trying it your way. Thanks for the info.

Crochet to the end of the row you are working on. Now turn your work.

Once you turn, slip stitch into the stitch you just completed.....then make your chain. Then work as directed.

Ahh, thanks so much, I will have to try this!

With stitches taller than a sc, I always do this at the begining of a row: Pull up (or lengthen) the yarn loop to the height that the first stitch will be. Then, Just work into the first stitch of the row, with what ever you need there (whatever the chain was supposed to count as).

Hey - that's a fantastic tip, thanks so much for sharing it.

I recently found out that I had been doing my crochet wrong for about 10 years! I learned to crochet from some old magazines - which didn't make it clear that you were supposed to crochet through both loops (the 'v')... so all my work looked ribbed!

Now I've found out what was wrong, I'm crocheting like mad!

Any new advice is really welcome, as you never know what you may have missed!

I am new to crocheting and thank you so much for saving me years ( I hope:lol ) of row edges that look funny! I am actually starting a new blanket today and will definitely try your idea...I can't wait to see how it looks with the new ends! Thanks!!!

Archived