Spring Time Mystery CAL for Beg. Threadies

heart

This is so very beautiful... a couple of days ago I thought I knew what it was... surprise on me!!! I thought we would start decreasing rows and make a starched filigree type Easter Egg.... now I have this swirling around in my brain....

...........I guess it would take a ton of starch and you'd have to figure out how not to have the egg collapse while it was being starched....

..I'll have to sleep on it... sarah, I do believe you have created a thread monster here:lol

I have an old flyer (one of those tear off things) for crocheted egg patterns. It says to use a plastic egg (covered with plastic wrap, of course). I think you can get styrofoam egg shapes, too. Never bought any but I believe I've seen 'em.

GO FOR IT, LEA!

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi, everyone:clap !

Now that I've finished reading all 30 Can Pants messages, I guess I'll check in now. Thanks to all of you for giving me a good laugh to start the day. I've been in the CAL since it started, but I'm usually reading my email in a rush and haven't had time to write. I'm only on Day 2 of the directions, but I read all the messages because I couldn't wait to see what it was. My Can Pants are going to be teal, too. At least I think it's teal. I couldn't find a color name on the package. I hope I can find a GIANT can to clothe. I've been crocheting as tightly as I can, but it's still big. :think

Rita K.

Dayton, OH

Hey, Rita! Can't wait to see your teal GIANT can pants! Glad you quit lurking around and showed yourself! Welcome!

Oh, as far as it belling out, mine did that until I did the first row of just 60 sc, but has been going nicely since then. I think that's when I started holding really tightly to make it down to gauge. I don't think that'll be too much of a problem, it looks cute anyhow.

Thanks, Addey! Maybe I'll keep going with mine then. Gotta dr. appt in about 1-1/2 hrs so got to be sure I'm ready to go in time!

Thinking about you and Mel today and hoping you have wonderful days!

:manyheart:hug

Don't know if any of you watch College basketball.... but my Mountaineers pulled it off in the last seconds last night! :yay :yay We're going for the NIT Title!!!:cheer :cheer

:cheer:cheerCONGRATULATIONS to your Mountaineers.:cheer:cheer Good luck in the title game!:cheer:cheer

Seems like our Western Michigan Broncos went kind of far last year...don't really follow basketball much, not even the March Madness, April whatever it's called!

Have a Great Day

!:manyheart:hug

Don't know if any of you watch College basketball.... but my Mountaineers pulled it off in the last seconds last night! :yay :yay We're going for the NIT Title!!!:cheer :cheer

Yeah, after that guy that shot the game winning basket got away with traveling!! lol

Those were 2 great games to watch last night. Too bad my Air Force couldn't pull it off!

Yeah, after that guy that shot the game winning basket got away with traveling!! lol

Those were 2 great games to watch last night. Too bad my Air Force couldn't pull it off!

OOPS! I only saw the highlights on that shot on our local news. :eek I know there's been some missed calls in the "March Madness" run ,too. I guess it's easier to catch the missed calls when it's not your team. :lol :lol

Can you tell me if you crochet from the 'bottom' (if that makes any sense) when you do the bottom ruffle? Like is the bottom facing up? At first I did it kinda from the side and it didn't seem right.

OOPS! I only saw the highlights on that shot on our local news. :eek I know there's been some missed calls in the "March Madness" run ,too. I guess it's easier to catch the missed calls when it's not your team. :lol :lol

We went to many Air Force games this year (reg season and NIT series) it is shocking what the ref's are NOT calling!

And if you saw the highlights, you should have seen the traveling. It was in that play.

Shall be an interesting game on Thur. Altho, I will not be watching. :)

Can you tell me if you crochet from the 'bottom' (if that makes any sense) when you do the bottom ruffle? Like is the bottom facing up? At first I did it kinda from the side and it didn't seem right.

Yes, to add the 2 ruffles so they are "right" side up, you hold the can pants with the opening facing your belly, and the bottom/closed end away from you, then go into the free loops of the 2 rows, and begin your sts.

The bottom ruffle is smaller than the top. In the first one I did, I did do the ruffles the same size, but the bottom didn't look right, so I made it have fewer sts. But you can do the "V" st in there if you want and see how you like it. This pattern has endless possibilities. :cheer We could even do all the dc rows in back loops and have it full of ruffles. That would be neat. Now, off to check out the rest of the CAL. I haven't been on yet this morning :eek and I need to catch up. :manyheart

This is so very beautiful... a couple of days ago I thought I knew what it was... surprise on me!!! I thought we would start decreasing rows and make a starched filigree type Easter Egg.... now I have this swirling around in my brain....

...........I guess it would take a ton of starch and you'd have to figure out how not to have the egg collapse while it was being starched....

..I'll have to sleep on it... sarah, I do believe you have created a thread monster here:lol

:D A covered Easter Egg would be great...though some of us might need ostrich eggs! :yes:lol :lol As for a thread monster..YAY!!!:elle it rubbed off! (Maby I can realx a bit now!) :rofl:rofl:rofl

Should we attach the handle to the back loops of R16 (the contrasting colored loops on the inside near the beginning of the wavy edge)? I don't think you would want them attached to the wavy edge and the handle seems too short to attach below the wavy edge.

Yes, on the inside of the basket, not the ruffle. Sorry I didn't get to answer you last night. I just hot glued it to the inside, down about an inch.

:idea OooOOOoo!! I just figured out what I'm going to do with this when it's dry. My good friend's birthday is on the 3rd. I'm going to put some little goodies in it and ship it off to her. She needs a smile anyhow! :yay

I'm prety sure it's even one of her more favorite colors. :yay:manyheart

I'm glad I know what I can do with this other than admire it and go ooooooo.

Great idea!!! ;)

Using the handle as a bracelet is a good idea too! :)

Yay! I'm on could 9 this morning, you all are doing great and having so many neat ideas! Yay! For creativity! Praise the Lord, and I'm happy to have been a part of this...The Can Pants Community! :D

I did cover my vegetable can with plastic wrap, you could use whatever kind you have, even wax paper, but it needs to fit the can, so it would have to be taped down and the ends folded in. Press n Seal would work too. Just something to protect your work. The can will survive..:D The first one I did, I just covered my work surface, It was on a pop can. It turned out ok. But they are cleaner than the vegetable cans.

Jeannie asked a day or so ago and I forgot to answer, Yes, you can re-use your starch. I don't pour it back into the bottle. I keep it in a glad bowl with a lid, that way it is easier to use, and I can use it all up before I need to re-fill. And the starch in the container stays clean.

I got mine all crocheted now I just have to get the starch to finish it. My DD wants to give it to her teacher for Easter. I can't believe Easter is almost here and I'm still not ready. lol.

Jeannie asked a day or so ago and I forgot to answer, Yes, you can re-use your starch. I don't pour it back into the bottle. I keep it in a glad bowl with a lid, that way it is easier to use, and I can use it all up before I need to re-fill. And the starch in the container stays clean.

That's a great idea! I'm doing snowflakes too so I could just dip them everytime I get a few and not have to clean up much after. I also wouldn't have to wait till I get a bunch to make it worth getting all the stuff out to stiffen them.

I'm a starchin' this morning. I put the starch in a freezer zip loc baggie and tossed the basket in and squished it gently. I think this would use less starch than if it's poured in a bowl, then I can toss the baggie in the trash afterwards. If all goes well, I'll be able to post a picture tomorrow with the handle on and completely done. I think I'm going to find a jar to fit in the basket and fill it will Easter candy when it's done, but I think the handle will be in the way of getting a big hand in there. Oh well, I'll find some use for it because I like to use things I've made rather than display them. Thanks again to Sarah for putting up this CAL; it was my first one and I had a very positive experience. And let me add that it was all the more wonderful for me that you acknowledge where your gifts have come from. Oh, better go get the basket out of the starch! Blessings,

My day started out a little rough (realized I'd left an entire dryer of clothes at the laundry mat last night! :eek) But it has gotten better.

I need to pick up startch and finish the bottom ruffle.

As far as the Easter egg goes, you could always crochet it, then leave a hole big enough to push a baloon into it, inflate and startch over that. Just pop the baloon when it's dry and you'd have a hollow egg. With the baloon being rubber already, you'd probably not have too much of a sticking problem. Hmm... may have to play with this thought.....

As far as the Easter egg goes, you could always crochet it, then leave a hole big enough to push a baloon into it, inflate and startch over that. Just pop the baloon when it's dry and you'd have a hollow egg. With the baloon being rubber already, you'd probably not have too much of a sticking problem. Hmm... may have to play with this thought.....

I have seen that done before and it works great!

My projects are still on hold...haven't made it to the store yet for a new hook. It's a rainy gloomy day here, so not much motivation to go out shopping :(

I have seen that done before and it works great!

My projects are still on hold...haven't made it to the store yet for a new hook. It's a rainy gloomy day here, so not much motivation to go out shopping :(

Dreams of Yarn, you mean the cat did take off with your hook and you can't find it? My cat likes to jump on my lap when I'm crocheting, and he loves laying on my instructions & books. Cats are such a crack up :cat:yarn

Praise the Lord and Thank You Island Girl! We are glad you liked it too! :U

I do have an idea for the next one, that will be a little while though. Not sure exactly when. I'll have the pattern tested by more than just me next time! lol :D

You're welcome. Maybe one of the ideas could be for July 4th? Something patriotic? Here on the Island we have a big parade on the 21st of July putting together the 4th and 21st which is our Liberation day from the Japanese in WW2. Thats the day the Americans landed and took the Island back. What do you think?

Pat A.

Wow, Guam, it must be interesting living on an Island. You may already know, but I just found this out so thought I would share with you. Page 1 shows each days instructions all in one place to print out. Until I discovered this, I was trying to find each page that had each day's instructions on it; which was very cumbersome. Welcome! :blush

Thanks for letting me know. I have a bad habit :blush of not looking at the first page. :)

Pat A.

Hi Pat! Oh yes you're in this CAL now!

POST #274 IS THE LUCKY WINNER OF A PAIR OF CAN PANTS! PLUS YOU GET TO BE A MEMBER OF THE CAL

However, before you accept this prize, read the fine print below:

kldjf[ew uf;ljsdoaif uewoijf lsdaj vkldj afoie qurioew quril kdajvl kdcvjkc nv klasjfeoi ewoi[ui ckd lsa'jdfk 'kdoasiore kdlask[peoif dikdp oe[aifoea k kopeire vdpo[aiefk kodaifdpkf vkodafkdlfk kcodakfdlkc fiodapksdlkc kdoa[ifdkflkxlck xkl;c/ . We are liable for nothing!

and use caution when joining this group! :rofl But you are most definitely welcomed here!

We're not really sure what we're doing! :nahnah:confused:loco:neener

Anyway, make it as soon as you can so you can give us a pic!

When I worked mine by the pattern, it came out too big and bowed out from row 5 instead of going up straight. I had to make mine smaller to fit a soda can.

I don't have the numbers fully worked out in writing, but it starts with ch 4 and 14 dc in the ring making a total of 15 dc. I think you can follow the pattern from there only, of course, you'll have less sts at the end of each round. If you do this one and have questions, just ask. Ask here or you can pm me.

I want to make a medium sized one but my 1st attempt didn't work. Gotta try again when my 1st one is finished, starched and drying.

JOIN IN!

WE'RE THE FUN GIRLS OF CROCHETVILLE!

:manyheart:hug

Yeah, I won. :clap When will I get my prize? :manyheart I think this will be my very next project right after I finish the last baby dragon I'm making now. :hook I had so much fun just reading all the posts now I'm part of it. :clap I'm having so much fun now. :lol

Pat A.

Hi everyone. This cal is so much fun I don't want it to end. :manyheart Everyone has so many ideas for this pattern. How about we start another cal using this pattern but everyone putting thier own twist on it and seeing what everyone comes up with? Just my oppinion but I don't want the canpants society to disappier. Sorry about my spelling. It's too early in the morning for me. I need another cup of coffee.

Pat A.

Archived