Where do you purchase your yarn?

I live in a very rural area, unfortunately there isn't to many places I can go to buy different types of yarn, local Wal Mart mostly carries worsted weight. I was wondering where do you all purchase your yarn? I have been thinking about purchasing off the internet, anyone know of any good sites with reasonable prices?

:welcome to crochetville :D Walmarts the only choice i have here too . I have yet to find anywhere online that isn't rediculous on shipping so im no help :/. alot of people seem to order from http://www.pagelinx.com/cgi-shopper/loadpage.cgi/smileysyarns/ezshopper?user_id=19347-20070221&file=iriot.htm but you have to spend at least 40.00 and the shipping is always 12.95.unfortunately i can't afford to spend that much. They do have great sales tho.

I have purchased online from Joanne's, they were great, and I have purchased from Herrsnschers (sp) they were horrible. Would I purchase again, if the price is right and I know that I am going to be doing a pattern but not quite ready for it. I am not the person to wait. I start a CAL with the Herrschners order and it took forever (1 month) to get to me, then it was not complete. They never contacted me about it. With Joanne's they were short a couple of skiens of yarn, but I had it quickly enough to correct it and I had the yarn to start the projects while I waited for the last 2 skiens to come in like ten days later. When I buy online again, I will be going back to Joanne's.

Joann's has free shipping today - they have at least one day of free shipping every month. You just have to check every day to see when they have it, and then only buy what it on sale, as you can only use one promotion code per order - so you can either get free shipping or 40% off one item.

And free shipping is ALWAYS a better deal, lol! Unless you are buying an OttLite or something.

When I bought from Joann's, I got the same dye lot with all my skeins, got a discount for buying more than 8 skeins at once, got free shipping and it got here in less than a week.

I was happy with both price and service.

I haven't ordered from anyone else, but I know others have.

http://knitpicks.com/ I highly reccomend Knitpicks. You get free shipping after a $45 order. Request a catalog. Their prices are pretty good too. Just make sure you look at the yardage on their skeins....they are smaller than normal, but still a good value. They have all weights and types of yarn. I use their wool of the andes for a lot of my felting.

I get my yarn from JoAnn's, Michael's, and WalMart. The nearest Hobby Lobby is about 1.5 - 2 hours away so I don't get there very often.

I tried ordering some fabric from JoAnn's once. Because one piece I ordered was out of stock, they cancelled my entire order. So I don't order online from them any more.

Joann's has free shipping today - they have at least one day of free shipping every month. You just have to check every day to see when they have it, and then only buy what it on sale, as you can only use one promotion code per order - so you can either get free shipping or 40% off one item.

And free shipping is ALWAYS a better deal, lol! Unless you are buying an OttLite or something.

When I bought from Joann's, I got the same dye lot with all my skeins, got a discount for buying more than 8 skeins at once, got free shipping and it got here in less than a week.

I was happy with both price and service.

I haven't ordered from anyone else, but I know others have.

Good to know info. Thanks! too bad my hubby would probably kill me if i ordered anything else right now. I just bought a crochet kit and Strawberry shortcake dolls and yarn to make it. I'll be watching every month for the free shipping and hoping hubby don't get to upset when i order . :DIdk tho he might not be happy if i spend 35.00 on yarn at once. Maybe when we get taxes back lol.

I've ordered online from both Herrschner's and Knitting Warehouse. Although some people have had bad experiences, I've never had any trouble with Herrschner's. Knitting Warehouse was very fast to ship my items as well.

i live in a rural area, too. ditto on the wal-mart thing. i got up the nerve to order from Joann's based on the comments i read on these boards. i got the discount, my order arrived in less than a week, and it was complete. the yarns were all from the same dye lot. needless to say, i will order from them again when the need arises. right now i'm trying to use up the yarn i have before i order any more (un-huh, yeah). ;)

I am also in a rural area and my only option is a very, very expensive little shop (limited hours) and it's mostly a quilting shop with a supply of yarn as an afterthought. It's all high end yarn too.

I've had great luck with Herrschners. I'm used to slow shipping though. I've also ordered from Mary Maxim and Joann. Since I get lots of yarn and craft catalogs, I watch for the sales and order accordingly. You can order from Walmart on-line too.

Shipping costs to Alaska could bankrupt a person! So anybody offering free shipping to Alaska is going to get my business at least once.

Sheryl

My WalMart closed their sewing section and likewise, reduced the yarn section to about a 6 foot section in an aisle and they only have RH Super Saver now! We have Michael's and Hobby Lobby and JoAnn's here locally, but the problem I usually find is if I am buying for a specific project, they almost NEVER have enough yarn in the same dye lot. After dragging two 2y/o around a couple of weeks ago for 3 hours in and out of stores, I finally gave up and ordered online from JoAnn's. I may just do that from now on.

I've ordered from JoAnn's several times and have been super happy with them, quick shipping, always the same dye lot, and the order is complete and accurate. I also almost never pay shipping there either. I buy online a lot and my advice - Don't EVER order anything online without googling the name of the store and "coupon codes" first. There are tons of coupon code sites out there and almost every online business offers online codes...you just have to know where to find them. For instance, if you go here:

http://www.edealinfo.com/Coupons/joann.shtml

it will list the current coupon codes you can use at joann.com.

I've had bad luck with Herschnners as well...won't go back there again. I've also had some great bargains and success with Ebay...it just takes time to hunt down what you want and then wait to see if you "win" the item or not.

Anyway...never order online without hunting for coupon codes! My advice for the day!

Well I live in Australia...and have always wanted to try some of the brands you guys in the US all talk about....stupidly I placed a order with Herschners....that was a month ago. When they responded to my emails, they gave me two different dates of when they allegedly "posted" the items...of course, I was charged more than $50 US for shipping as well, only to have them tell me it could take 3 months to get here.

Conversely I've ordered from yarnmarket.com and found them fantastic. Postage was reasonable, and it arrived in 4 days...that's right 4 days from the US to Australia. I highly recommend them.

Here are some links to some online sights.

If you watch for the sales or apply for their email Herrschners has weekly yarn sales and will send you a notice. http://www.herrschners.com/default.aspx

Yarn & Thread by Lisa, I have ordered from and the service was pretty darn good! http://yarnbylisa.com/default.aspx

Smiley's Yarn sale, I haven't ordered from but others have and the prices seem pretty good but the selection is a bit limited. http://www.pagelinx.com/cgi-shopper/loadpage.cgi/smileysyarns/ezshopper?user_id=id&file=iriot.htm

And Knit Picks another one that gives excellant service. http://www.knitpicks.com/homepage.aspx

My WalMart closed their sewing section and likewise, reduced the yarn section to about a 6 foot section in an aisle

I know - I used to get my yarn there - they had a really good selection - no more though :(

I mostly buy my yarn from Michael's. There are 3 of them within a 10 mile radius of me, so it is really easy for me to go there and they usually have great sales or a 40% off coupon. I've been really happy with their selection.

I have a Hobby Lobby & JoAnn's that isn't too far from me but they are both close to each other and on the other side of town so I seldom get there.

I have a LYS near my work but I don't buy there often. They have beautiful yarn but are more expensive and the hanks are smaller than the skeins I can get at Michael's.

I've never purchased yarn on-line before. I don't like paying for shipping - I think most on-line stores shipping costs are too high.

Yes, I liek knitting warehouse too... very very fast service, decent prices and a flat shipping fee I think 5.95

I have also ordered from Craft Etc which is the Hobby Lobby source. Decent selection, free shipping over $40, so when I am stocking up........

Ordering online helps me focus my purchases. My trips to Michaels often result in lots of extras and not enough of one kind to do a prpoject I later find....... Like a kid in a candy shop..... I want one of everything!

Archived