An heirloom being reborn

While chatting with one of my counselors at the weight loss center, she told me that she had an heirloom doily that she inherited from her grandmother. Her grandmother made it the year that she (the gm) got married. It's over sixty years old and has been mounted behind glass to protect it from wear and tear. It's in nearly pristine condition but for a wee bit of damage. I have been granted the priviledge of figuring out the heirloom in order to write up the pattern so my counselor can crochet one for her grandaughter! :D So far I have 13 of the 22 rounds and am surprised at just how easy it is for me to "read" a completed piece to reproduce it. The only thing I'm not sure about is the type of thread that our crocheters of yesteryear might have used. It appears to be akin to a fine silk thread and may have been made using a 13 or 14 steel hook. I'm having to use magnifying lenses to see the stitches! :lol

Just wanted to share this. :manyheart

That is amazing! I've been asked to convert a couple of doilies to patterns, but nothing as important as an heirloom.

How rewarding that must be for you!

Ooooooh, you've given me an idea. One of our treasures is a framed bit of a crocheted bedspread or tablecloth my husband's grandmother made. It disintegrated to the point that my MIL cut out the good parts and framed them for my husband and siblings. I wonder if I could reproduce her pattern for something special? Wonderful idea, remclave!

I finally took opportunity to snap a pic of the heirloom itself. It's not really complex ... until you realize that the pattern goes from 75 repetitions to 20 pineapples. If you look closely, you can see the mistakes but it is all the more beautiful for their presence. I could not duplicate them so I'm doing a test piece to make sure that she can at least make something nearly like it. It took me two days to figure out how to balance the pattern so I can write it up.

heirloom.jpg

The test piece has a center 3x as large as the cloth-filled center of this one as I'm using size 10 thread and a size 6 hook. I'm going to recommend she use size 30 mercerized cotton with a size 12 hook... :D

WOW! That sounds like a great undertaking. You must be very talented. Good luck with recreating that masterpiece.

:manyheart

this is a wonderful treasure..so glad the owner loves it and took such good care of it.. i wish everything i gave away was loved half that much...I am so happy that you will be making its "cousin" ..please share a picture of the finished one if you can.

this is a wonderful treasure..so glad the owner loves it and took such good care of it.. i wish everything i gave away was loved half that much...I am so happy that you will be making its "cousin" ..please share a picture of the finished one if you can.

:eek

And maybe the pattern :think:hook:yes

You are such a sweetie for helping her out. I hope it all comes together for you.

Several years ago the heirloom tablecloth that my great grandmother made was damaged beyond repair. While I was browsing through the Celtwitch patterns I found the pattern for the very same tablecloth,

luckystar2.jpg

my mom and I both almost stared crying. Now I just need to get up the nerve to make something that big out of thread.:hook

if it was made a long time ago, more than likely is made with size 80 to 100 thread as thats what they used, you could do a test patch and see with the size 30 and see, its a beautiful pattern, how,lucky they are to have you:hug:hug:hug

• 2 weeks later...

WOW! That is a beautiful doily. You are so talented to be able to write that out. What a treasure!

Archived