How do I donate to a hospital?

Sarah Jane

Hi All!:waving

I have been reading through here and am so inspired by all the lovely work that you have done that I want to make and donate items to the babies and children's section of my local hospital.

How do I do that? Do I ring them and ask them? How has everyone else organised to do it? I am thinking of toys for the kids and blankets, booties, socks, hats etc.. for the babies.

Keep up the great work everyone! You are making so many peoples lives happier each and every day by the generosity that comes straight from your hearts and out through you hooks!:hook:clap:hug:cheer:yay

My daughter has spent time in Princess Margaret Hospital, which is WA's only childrens hospital. While there talking with activity coordinators and social workers etc, it seems people quite literally just post things to them, drop them at the enquiries desk etc. I don't think there is anything formal involved. You want to donate, they accept. If thay can't use the items they find them homes. For example stuffed toys aren't used in hospitals as they're hard to clean, dust mites etc. So in PMH you go to social work, and you can pick up a teddy or 10 for your child. The box is always over flowing. Great for parents who want to cheer their kids up but cannot afford to buy them a present. Radio Lollipop and some of the other Starlight activities groups also dropped in little gifts for colouring in and any other random thing. It seems they have boxes of stuff and they just grab an item to suit the child they're giving to. I am sure they'd happily take donations of new toys. As for the blankets, booties etc I would put them in an envelope, select an appropriate hospital and post them off :) best of luck with it!

I called the local hospice(my FIL wa there for a short time a few years ago)& asked if they could use lap blankets.The eagerly said "YES!".I have been dropping them off whenever I'm in town.This past weekend,I dropped off 10.

I would contact the hospital; each has their unique set of requests, some even have patterns. I take my donations to whichever unit .... preemie hats to the preemie section, cancer hats to our cancer hospital, comfort 'ghans to a hospice. Sometimes they have special rquests which is helpful in choosing colors, or sizes. Sometimes there are volunteer meetings where ladies get together to make larger projects. I have a whole lot more new friends by making the hospice afghans ...we really get a lot more done as a group, and the encouragement is great !!!!!

One time I took a box to the neonatal unit where my daughter was born. I had tried to call first and was met with confusion. When they saw what I had made, though, there was no problem. Lots of oohs and ahs.

I have a co-worker who's wife works for St. Jude's in Memphis. I sent her an email this week about sending hats and blankets, and she said she'd put me in touch with the right people...... She was really excited to hear about it....

Archived