Fat bottom question

Has anyone made a a Fat Bottom Purse without using round handles? I don't have credit card so purchasing online is out and I have had no success finding any at the fabric/hobby stores in Albuquerque. My mom admires these bags and I would love to make one, any suggestion would much appreciated.

I had the same problem finding round handles. I was wondering the same thing. I would think that the ones with the bar at the bottom could work. I'm just not sure how they would look.

if you search the net for fat bottom bag you will see several interesting variations. There was one with a flap fastening and a shoulder strap. and another with round handles made from plastic circles cut from lids and then crocheted over. You can get some ideas just by seeing what others have done.

I used oval bamboo handles for the one I made. I think you could use the handles with the bar on the bottom without any problems. It would still gather up the bag on the bar.

I actually have used a plastic tubing the I crocheted around. The tubing will sstay in place if you crochet tightly around it, the crochet the ends to the bag. The plastic will give the shaoe and be flexible at the same time. Just a idea that I hope will give you alternatives to your design. You can get plastic tubing ( very cheap) at Home depot in the plumbing department, they carry several sizes of tubing there.

You could take a plastic top and cut it out to the size you want. I think you could maybe punch holes near the end ; then sew with yarn together.

Then crochet around of single crohet to fit the circle. It should work pretty good. Try a sample and see if you like it.?pinkroses

Thanks for all the ideas. Tracey I like the idea of using plastic tubing, I bet if I got some of the smaller kind I could even put large beads on them.

or you could put the beads INSIDE of the tubing. I have seen several variations for this in jewelry

For a handle that goes over your shoulder, try using a leather or chain fashion belt. Use this on one side of the bag and use coordinating buttons to hold the other side onto the handle side. (I hope I'm making sense.) Instead of crocheting the flap around a handle, crochet some button holes into the flap and sew buttons onto the other flap.

I actually have used a plastic tubing the I crocheted around. The tubing will sstay in place if you crochet tightly around it, the crochet the ends to the bag. The plastic will give the shaoe and be flexible at the same time. Just a idea that I hope will give you alternatives to your design. You can get plastic tubing ( very cheap) at Home depot in the plumbing department, they carry several sizes of tubing there.

I really LIKE this idea! The large sized plastic tubing that they sell at pet stores for aquarium use would be ideal for this, and VERY inexpensive! I just ordered the Happy Hooker book a couple of days ago because I'm dying to make a fat bottom purse for myself, and I think this is what I am going to do for my handles because I was so surprised to see how expensive it is to purchase actual handles. The cheapest ones I was able to find were the bamboo ones, and while I like them OK, I'm also one of those who likes to put my purse up on my shoulder, so the bamboo circles really wouldn't work well for that unless I bought really large ones. So tubing it is! :cheer

Elle

Just call their 800 number for a printed catalog with order form if you don't want to order online or over the phone - they are really helpful folks and they have a huge array of handles!

Good Luck!;)

Click here to view - http://www.patternworks.com/PWShopping/partslookup.asp?page=2&tl=PURSE%20HANDLES

Thanks for all the ideas. Tracey I like the idea of using plastic tubing, I bet if I got some of the smaller kind I could even put large beads on them.

What about the 1/4" tubing that pet stores sell for fish tank filter hoses? I'll bet that would work great as far as putting large beads on it! I'm going to have DH go into town to the pet store tomorrow for me to pick up some of the larger tubing for me. I'm going to either crochet around it or wrap it with the Lion Brand Suede to see if I like the way it looks for handles. If I don't like that, I'll probably end up buying a pair of handles from the Ebay link that was provided in another post.

Elle

Archived