Our House Part One (go to Part Two for posting)

JulieKay

Hi-

Well although I've been a member of the ville for awhile, I never knew this thread was open to anyone.....

I am a mother of 4 --2 sons in the military and 2 daughters at home ages 21 & 14. I've crocheted over 40 years. i enjoy using WW yarn, thread and cotton.

Not sure what y'all do here but howdy to all.

Hi and Welcome! My name is Mary and one of the older members of the group.;):lol DH and I have been married for 39 years and have one daughter, SIL and a 10 month old grandson, Luke. We also have Gracie, our Cairn Terrier and Zoe, The Cat - who steals yarn and drowns it in her water bowl whenever she gets a chance.

My Auntie Ruth taught me to crochet when I was about 8. Thanks to Julie, we have a wonderful place to come share, visit and have fun. :manyheart

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting to Know You ..........................

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys

Thought maybe it was time for an update of info here ,since we have new people and old. Some of us know a LOT about each other,while others know very little,so I made up some questions that are not personal info, just little pieces of information to learn a little about each other .

1- What is your middle name ? Marie

2- Were you named after anyone ? No

3-What were your high school team colors,and team name ? blue/white bulldogs

4-Were you in any activities in high school ( such as sports, band,etc )? no

5-Favorite subject in school ? english

6-What was your favorite board or card game as a kid ? monopoly

7-Favorite color ? blue

8-Favorite food ? chocolate

9-Have you met anyone famous ?

yes -- Red Skelton, Tony Orlando, Nascar drivers

10- How many states have you been to ? OMG!!!! barely I HAVEN'T been in

11- How many times have you moved in your life ? guessing 25+

12- What place would you choose to visit if you could go anywhere ? Salt Lake City & Yellowstone

13-If you are or were married,what were your wedding colors ,and if you could change anything about your wedding,what would it be ? On my #2 (for 23 years) we got married at the court hose in Colorado and had a tiny celebration --(hubby BBQ steak on front porch). next day we took my in-laws to the mountains with us we paid their way. Did I mentioned will also brought our 2 kids???? Oh yeah that was our honeymoon..LOL

14-What color is your car ? green House ? blue

15- If you could go back to one day in your childhood and do it over,what day would you choose and why ? one when I wasn't too nice to my mom

16- What famous person would you like to meet,and what one question would you have for them? (This person can be alive or deceased) Obama---What direction will our country be in when you leave office?

17-What tv show was your favorite as a small child ? Fun at 1

18 -What is one current invention that you think was a bad idea ? cell phones that work in cars

19 -Do you believe in ghosts ? yes

20 - Favorite candy ? Carmello

21 - A talent you would LOVE to have ? dance

22- The prettiest state you have ever seen ? Wyoming

23-Would you consider yourself adventurous ,for example,would you like to climb a mountain,or bunjee jump ,or skydive ? afraid of heights... but would love to snow ski

24-If you had enough money to buy ANYTHING ,what one BIG item would you buy first ? Garden tub

25 - What goal would you like to achieve if you can reach the age of 100 ? Breathe :P

Hi guys

Thought maybe it was time for an update of info here ,since we have new people and old. Some of us know a LOT about each other,while others know very little,so I made up some questions that are not personal info, just little pieces of information to learn a little about each other .

1- What is your middle name ? Ann

2- Were you named after anyone ? Aunt Ann and Aunt Ann :lol

3-What were your high school team colors,and team name ? red, white, and blue... Lions

4-Were you in any activities in high school ( such as sports, band,etc )? concert choir, show choir, stage band, and drama

5-Favorite subject in school ? music

6-What was your favorite board or card game as a kid ? scrabble

7-Favorite color ? green

8-Favorite food ? pizza

9-Have you met anyone famous ? yes

10- How many states have you been to ? 20?

11- How many times have you moved in your life ? too many

12- What place would you choose to visit if you could go anywhere ? Ireland

13-If you are or were married,what were your wedding colors ,and if you could change anything about your wedding,what would it be ? pastel spring flower colors

14-What color is your car ? House ? white, mocha

15- If you could go back to one day in your childhood and do it over,what day would you choose and why ? any number of Sundays to spend with a friend who is no longer living

16- What famous person would you like to meet,and what one question would you have for them? (This person can be alive or deceased) Joseph Haydn, on Sonata 14 what is the correct fingering for the successive trills?

17-What tv show was your favorite as a small child ? Happy Days

18 -What is one current invention that you think was a bad idea ? at times, the phone. it is rather intrusive. Changed my mind...BOOM BOXES!

19 -Do you believe in ghosts ? only Casper

20 - Favorite candy ? Jolly Ranchers

21 - A talent you would LOVE to have ? drawing

22- The prettiest state you have ever seen ? North Carolina

23-Would you consider yourself adventurous ,for example,would you like to climb a mountain,or bunjee jump ,or skydive ? No, I wouldn't like to climb a mountain or cross a 2 line wire bridge, but I have.

24-If you had enough money to buy ANYTHING ,what one BIG item would you buy first ? grand piano

25 - What goal would you like to achieve if you can reach the age of 100 ?

Haven't thought that far, still working on today.

1- What is your middle name ? Melissa

2- Were you named after anyone ? My maternal grandmother

3-What were your high school team colors,and team name ? Purple and Gold - Eagles

4-Were you in any activities in high school ( such as sports, band,etc )? Service League; yearbook editor; French Club

5-Favorite subject in school ? English

6-What was your favorite board or card game as a kid ? Caroms

7-Favorite color ? Khaki or Blue

8-Favorite food ? Oh dear...french fries! :lol

9-Have you met anyone famous ? Lewis Grizzard

10- How many states have you been to ? :think 17

11- How many times have you moved in your life ? Too many

12- What place would you choose to visit if you could go anywhere ? Australia

13-If you are or were married,what were your wedding colors ,and if you could change anything about your wedding,what would it be ? I made my dress out of white velvet and my bridesmaid made hers out of a striped taffeta...we had no money and my parents didn't pay for anything...they didn't think we'd stay together. ;)

14-What color is your car ? House ? Sort of like sandstone; brick and dark Khaki trim

15- If you could go back to one day in your childhood and do it over,what day would you choose and why ? :think

16- What famous person would you like to meet,and what one question would you have for them? (This person can be alive or deceased) I really need to think about this one.

17-What tv show was your favorite as a small child ? I Love Lucy

18 -What is one current invention that you think was a bad idea ? I totally agree with no cell phones in cars, restaurants, etc.

19 -Do you believe in ghosts ? No

20 - Favorite candy ? Snickers

21 - A talent you would LOVE to have ? Play the piano by ear

22- The prettiest state you have ever seen ? Hawaii

23-Would you consider yourself adventurous ,for example,would you like to climb a mountain,or bunjee jump ,or skydive ? No way! :D

24-If you had enough money to buy ANYTHING ,what one BIG item would you buy first ? A vacation cabin where it's cool in the summer

I don't want to be 100. :lol

Kiyo

Yep, you guessed it. I'm in the FBI . I'm just living under cover in this little hick town, looking like an old lady housewife, but I really do have BUNS OF STEEL underneath my housedress . :D

Lorraine

Were you guys in the military ? Just thought you might have been if you moved that many times. Our girl has lived in SC,Maryland, Hawaii,then Korea .

That's also exciting that you met Red Skelton. I remember watching him on tv when I was a kid .

I bet Wyoming is a beautiful state --we've never been further west than Indiana .

Not asking the questions to be nosey . I just do this from time to time,especially when we get several new people in,which we have lately gotten several .

I'm sure everyone will make you feel right at home !

Sherri

I liked your Casper answer -- very cute !

And the boom boxes remind me of them booming radio things the young guys play in their cars . You can be at a red light next to them with the windows up,and their music makes your windows rattle . :lol

I should get me a Lawrence Welk tape and slide it in and play it as loud as it goes when I am next to them !!!

Mary

I know it's not funny, but I had to chuckle when you said your parents didnt pay for anything for your wedding because they said it wouldnt last ?

Same thing here. I paid for it all myself,and my mom's parting sentence the day of my wedding when we were walking out to go to the church was DON'T COME BACK HERE ASKING TO COME HOME WHEN THIS ALL FALLS APART. I'M NOT SAYING IF IT DOESNT LAST I;M SAYING WHEN .

AND DONT COME DRAGGING ANY OF YOUR BRATS OUT HERE FOR ME TO WATCH WHEN YOU HAVE THEM , I RAISED MY KIDS,IM NOT GONNA RAISE YOURS .:angry

NOT NICE .

SURE we didnt have some kinda mixup in the hospital,and we aren't SISTERS ?????:think

Hi, Sherri!! Glad to see you:hug

Nice pattern! I don't normally make wearables, but saved that one:yes

Hello. I am exhausted tonight; kiddos had another snow day....UGH!! I wish all the snow & ice would just go away & never come back.....I swear my feelings would not be hurt.

I love to cold weather...but this ice and snow is so dangerous for me - and Sparkie - to walk on that I can't wait for a thaw!

Lorraine - forgot to give you my short bio:

I'm 62 years old and been marrried my entire life (43 years...LOL). We have a son who is a chiropractor and will be 36 next month. He's between women - again - so no DIL or grandkids...

We have a very spoiled 5 yo GSD, Sparkie, who likes to drag me around the block.

No, we weren't in the military----my hubby worked construction ( electrician until a 40 foot fall) and we had to go where the work was...Now he is disabled. Years ago we moved so much north -south, east, west my sons have been from coast to coast so many times. Whereas my daughter have only been as west as Chicago and Alabama!!!! LOL ;)

1- What is your middle name ?

Ann

2- Were you named after anyone ?

Nope

3-What were your high school team colors,and team name ? Maroon and Gold/Royals

4-Were you in any activities in high school ( such as sports, band,etc )?

Briefly: tried modern Dance (laughable) before spending the last 3 years working after school,

5-Favorite subject in school ?

Earth Science - always curious,

6-What was your favorite board or card game as a kid ?

War (card game) - with brothers everything else was too tame:lol

7-Favorite color ?

RED:D

8-Favorite food ?

Anything I don't have to cook

9-Have you met anyone famous ?

Many years ago: former attorney general Mitchell's wife.

10- How many states have you been to ?

Maybe 10

11- How many times have you moved in your life ?

12- What place would you choose to visit if you could go anywhere ?

The UK

13-If you are or were married,what were your wedding colors ,and if you could change anything about your wedding,what would it be ?

It was perfect: small, and only 1 attendant each, so no wedding colors"

14-What color is your car ? House ?

silver car; tan house with burgundy shutters

15- If you could go back to one day in your childhood and do it over,what day would you choose and why ?

I was 11 or so...and acted selfishly toward one of my brothers...wish I could change that. It's something that surfaces in my thoughts on rare ocassions.

16- What famous person would you like to meet,and what one question would you have for them? (This person can be alive or deceased)

I have a lot of questions for my parents...

17-What tv show was your favorite as a small child ?

nothing I can think of..

18 -What is one current invention that you think was a bad idea ?

Not an invesntion but the massive amounts of advertising we're bombarded with.

19 -Do you believe in ghosts ?

Jury's still out on that

20 - Favorite candy ?

Chocolate! Dark, whatever....:manyheart

21 - A talent you would LOVE to have ?

No talent, per se: just the discipline to fine tune the abilities I have and develop more skill in my other intersts that I've let slide,

22- The prettiest state you have ever seen ?

the area around Carmel, California

23-Would you consider yourself adventurous ,for example,would you like to climb a mountain,or bunjee jump ,or skydive ?

Afraid of heights:lol...though I think I'm adventurous in that I'll move someplace I've never been to, try new foods, etc.

24-If you had enough money to buy ANYTHING ,what one BIG item would you buy first ?

A new building for the local SPCA...and an inground sprinkler system:lol

like to acheive?? Leave good memories with everyone who knows me.

Jude

Since you are still trying to decide whether you believe in ghosts or not,we'll make a date with you to come here this summer when the other grandkids all come home. Me and Cam are taking them to the graveyard on a ghost hunt,so you can come with us !

Hi guys

1- What is your middle name ?

2- Were you named after anyone ? my grandma

3-What were your high school team colors,and team name ? blue and white - the Braves

4-Were you in any activities in high school ( such as sports, band,etc )? yes, but it was so long ago....

5-Favorite subject in school ? English

6-What was your favorite board or card game as a kid ? Sorry

7-Favorite color ? green, blue, pink, I like almost all of them....

8-Favorite food ? chocolate

9-Have you met anyone famous ? only some locally famous people that I've met in the course of my work

10- How many states have you been to ? at least 15

11- How many times have you moved in your life ? 3

12- What place would you choose to visit if you could go anywhere ?

United Kingdom (but I'm never going there, because I'd have to fly!) or Alaska

13-If you are or were married,what were your wedding colors ,and if you could change anything about your wedding,what would it be ?

bridesmaids wore teal blue, men wore black tuxes, Flowers were multi-colored

In retrospect, I'd have enjoyed a less elaborate wedding a lot more.

14-What color is your car ? House ?

My car is called mocha by the car designers, but it is actually a pretty yucky shade of faded brown.

The outside of my house is cream colored with greenish blue doors, and white trim. Inside, there are quite a few colors.

15- If you could go back to one day in your childhood and do it over,what day would you choose and why ?

every day! I had a wonderful childhood

16- What famous person would you like to meet,and what one question would you have for them? (This person can be alive or deceased) ???

17-What tv show was your favorite as a small child ?

We actually rarely watched tv as children. I vaguely remember watching Captain Kangaroo, but that's about it.

19 -Do you believe in ghosts ? no

20 - Favorite candy ? kit Kat candy bars

21 - A talent you would LOVE to have ? playing the piano

22- The prettiest state you have ever seen ? It's a tie between Colorado and Tennessee

23-Would you consider yourself adventurous ,for example,would you like to climb a mountain,or bunjee jump ,or skydive ? absolutely not!!! I am a coward!!!! I'm also afraid of heights. I have climbed a mountain though, although not a difficult climb.

24-If you had enough money to buy ANYTHING ,what one BIG item would you buy first ? a house on a lake

I'd like to still be in my right mind. (and keep the smart remarks to yourself!!)

Wow- What a busy day in the house!!!!

Welcome Lorraine! Always nice to welcome someone into "our House" I'm 55 years young, and have 3 adult daughters. My oldest is 31, single and lives in Boston. My middle one is also single, 28 (almost 29) and is an artist-she is back in school for a Master's in Art Education. My youngest is 27, married to my wonderful SIL and is expecting my first grandchild!!! I'm going to be a grandma in August (or July if the little one decides to make an early appearance). I am married for the 2nd time- our 10th anniversary is this Sept. My DH has 3 adult DD's of his own, along with 3 grandchildren with a fourth on the way in July.

I work full time for a managed care company- I'm a nurse and often refer to work as "paradise". I taught myself to crochet two years ago via You Tube.

Hope you enjoy "Our House" as much as I do.

Hi guys

1- What is your middle name ? Marie

2- Were you named after anyone ? Nope

3-What were your high school team colors,and team name ? Blue & Gold, the Valley Tigers

4-Were you in any activities in high school ( such as sports, band,etc )? marching band, concert band, pep band, girls chorus, mixed chorus, honor society, thespians, student librarian, student cafeteria worker, multiple plays and musical productions

5-Favorite subject in school ? English & Math

6-What was your favorite board or card game as a kid ? 500

7-Favorite color ? Royal purple

8-Favorite food ? Chinese food of almost any kind other than super spicy hot

9-Have you met anyone famous ? Some of the Gaither singers

10- How many states have you been to ? at least 28

11- How many times have you moved in your life ? 8

12- What place would you choose to visit if you could go anywhere ? mainland China

13-If you are or were married,what were your wedding colors ,and if you could change anything about your wedding,what would it be ? My bridesmaid wore light green and the guys wore light blue tuxes. The flowers were red roses.

14-What color is your car ? red House ? gray green

15- If you could go back to one day in your childhood and do it over,what day would you choose and why ? :think

16- What famous person would you like to meet,and what one question would you have for them? (This person can be alive or deceased) :think

17-What tv show was your favorite as a small child ? We didn't have a tv when I was a small child.

18 -What is one current invention that you think was a bad idea ? A cell phone that works when the car is running.

19 -Do you believe in ghosts ? Yes

20 - Favorite candy ? Dark chocolate

21 - A talent you would LOVE to have ? I'd love to play the piano by ear.

22- The prettiest state you have ever seen ? Vermont

23-Would you consider yourself adventurous ,for example,would you like to climb a mountain Yes,or bunjee jump No,or skydive Absolutely?

24-If you had enough money to buy ANYTHING ,what one BIG item would you buy first ? I'd fund the Gesundheit Medical facility.

25 - What goal would you like to achieve if you can reach the age of 100 ? [/quote] I have absolutely no desire to live to be 100.

Hi guys

1- What is your middle name ? I don't have one. My mother thought that my name Joanne sounded like two. :think (even though it is spelled as one word) I always felt deprived when I was younger not having a middle name- silly in hindsight!

2- Were you named after anyone ? Combination- my grandmother was Mary Josephine as was my mother. My grandmother's sister was Anne, My cousin is Mary Ann so I was Jo (after my grandma) and Anne after her sister- put together=Joanne

3-What were your high school team colors,and team name ? Blue and White- Blue Devils (CAtholic HS no less, now their mascot is the Blue Eagles)

4-Were you in any activities in high school ( such as sports, band,etc )? Newspaper, intramural sports- basketball, volleyball

5-Favorite subject in school ? History and English

6-What was your favorite board or card game as a kid ? Old Maid

7-Favorite color ? Blue

8-Favorite food ? Do I have to pick one?

9-Have you met anyone famous ?No

10- How many states have you been to ? Been to- as in visited? or Been to as in lived? Lived in 2, Visited about 12-15

11- How many times have you moved in your life ? about 5-6??

12- What place would you choose to visit if you could go anywhere ? Ireland and West Coast of the USA

13-If you are or were married,what were your wedding colors ,and if you could change anything about your wedding,what would it be ? Married 2nd time- colors were beige and taupe

14-What color is your car ? House ? Car- Silver, House- Gray w/blue shutters

15- If you could go back to one day in your childhood and do it over,what day would you choose and why ? I had a good childhood- although I would say I wish I was kinder to my Mom when I was a teenager- she was sick then and I didn't know it- she ended up having her mitral valve replaced when I was 18 and almost died.

16- What famous person would you like to meet,and what one question would you have for them? (This person can be alive or deceased) I'll have to think about this

17-What tv show was your favorite as a small child ? The Monkees- every Monday night

18 -What is one current invention that you think was a bad idea ? ????

19 -Do you believe in ghosts ? I'm on the fence with that one- DH does though

20 - Favorite candy ? Dark chocolate

21 - A talent you would LOVE to have ? Be able to sing

22- The prettiest state you have ever seen ? North Carolina

23-Would you consider yourself adventurous ,for example,would you like to climb a mountain,or bunjee jump ,or skydive ? No to skydiving and bunjee jumping- yes to climb a mountain- but need to get in shape for that one

24-If you had enough money to buy ANYTHING ,what one BIG item would you buy first ? House at the shore

To have all my wits about me!!! If my mind goes, I hope I go!

Dusti- I love the pinwheel sweater! It is so bright and cheerful!!! Hope you got all done that you needed to get done today!!!!

Mary, Judy, Julie, Cindy, Sherri, Tammy, Linda and all the other housemates- Sending hugs and hello!!!

I met DD at the store after work and bought her a pair of maternity jeans. (and a couple of tops). She is so happy to have a pair of jeans that she can wear! We then went out to dinner and had some nice mother-daughter time!!!:manyheart

DH just got in so I'm going to go ---hope you all have a good night!

Mary

I know it's not funny, but I had to chuckle when you said your parents didnt pay for anything for your wedding because they said it wouldnt last ?

Same thing here. I paid for it all myself,and my mom's parting sentence the day of my wedding when we were walking out to go to the church was DON'T COME BACK HERE ASKING TO COME HOME WHEN THIS ALL FALLS APART. I'M NOT SAYING IF IT DOESNT LAST I;M SAYING WHEN .

AND DONT COME DRAGGING ANY OF YOUR BRATS OUT HERE FOR ME TO WATCH WHEN YOU HAVE THEM , I RAISED MY KIDS,IM NOT GONNA RAISE YOURS .:angry

NOT NICE .

SURE we didnt have some kinda mixup in the hospital,and we aren't SISTERS ?????:think

Wow! Your Mom said more than mine. :lol DH and I met our senior year in college (he had been in the Navy and gone back to school)...the first time my parents met him, she requested he cut his hair and shave his mustache. :ohdear He just smiled with his big blue eyes and never said a word. :lol

We're supposed to be close to 0*- "real" temperature tonight. :sighThat is unheard of for us...at least most of the ice/snow is gone.

Have a good night, Ladies. I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts! :ghug

1- What is your middle name ? Kay

2- Were you named after anyone ? a song

3-What were your high school team colors,and team name ? Purple & White ...... The Cheiftains

4-Were you in any activities in high school ( such as sports, band,etc )? Band & Cheerleading

5-Favorite subject in school ? Math

6-What was your favorite board or card game as a kid ? Aggravation

7-Favorite color ? Black

8-Favorite food ? Spaghetti

9-Have you met anyone famous ? Johnny Cash... Ronald Reagan...Jimmy Carter

10- How many states have you been to ? Over half

11- How many times have you moved in your life ? 7

12- What place would you choose to visit if you could go anywhere ? Italy

13-If you are or were married,what were your wedding colors ,and if you could change anything about your wedding,what would it be ? Basic black and white

14-What color is your car ? House ? Sandstone ..... Ivory

15- If you could go back to one day in your childhood and do it over,what day would you choose and why ? Any one of the fishing trips I took with my daddy! Because I miss him!!!

16- What famous person would you like to meet,and what one question would you have for them? (This person can be alive or deceased)

17-What tv show was your favorite as a small child ? Emergency

19 -Do you believe in ghosts ? yes

20 - Favorite candy ? red hots

21 - A talent you would LOVE to have ? playing the piano

22- The prettiest state you have ever seen ?

23-Would you consider yourself adventurous ,for example,would you like to climb a mountain,or bunjee jump ,or skydive ? naw

24-If you had enough money to buy ANYTHING ,what one BIG item would you buy first ? my house

:heart

:mug

`·.,(¯`·´¯)..........\|/

(¯`·´¯).·´(¯`·´¯)...♥ Good Morning ♥

..` ·.·´(¯`·´¯)...../|\

......`·.,(¯`·´¯)........。¯`·´¯)...............。☆。*。☆。

Loved reading all the answers to the "Get to Know You" questionnaire. Great idea Julie to have everyone- old and new - get to know each other again or for the first time!!!

I didn't do much of anything last night- after logging off here, I went upstairs and chatted with DH for a bit and then headed to bed. I read for a bit and then before I knew it I was in dreamland!

I hope you all have a good day today and I'll see you later!

Morning everyone !

Thanks to all of you who responded to the questions last night.

I always have fun doing that ,because it is interesting to see how many people choose a certain answer ....

Kinda like doing a survey .

It sounds like most of us would like to have a musical talent of some type if we could .

Most would buy something useful ,like a house ,if they had the extra money .

Anyhow, it's always neat to learn new things that we didnt know about each other .

Well , I hope our southern friends didnt get blasted too badly with that latest winter storm that blew through . This time of the year, they seem harder to handle,maybe because we are all looking so forward to spring .

Nothing much new to report here ,except someone is pointing a bullhorn at me and yelling PUT DOWN THE YARN !!!!! again ......

Have had 2 bad asthma attacks since trying to work with it again ,so I guess it's either back to the accordian lessons or run away with the circus .

I'm thinking the circus might be more fun ,just trying to decide which job to apply for :

Elephant cage cleaner ? NO

Lion feeder ? NO

Tightrope Walker ? NO

JoJo the Dog Faced Boy ? NO

I'll have to think on it a bit . I dont think I'd do well on the trapeze, or being the lady doing the tricks while hanging upside down on that string thing ... ...

Maybe just the popcorn or ticket seller .

Anyhow I will just admire you guy's projects from afar .

CHEERIA

I was thinking about you as I went to bed last night ,and was a little worried ,after hearing about your fall the other day . Sure hope you are ok and didnt end up at the doc or ER getting something x-rayed ! Maybe you are just busy with the grandbabes-- I hope that is all .

You all have a good day today ~

Archived