YARN addiction Completely out of HAND HELP!

addictedtoyarn

OK I need to vent I was just looking through my stash which I just organized into plastic tubs( I have 10 large tubs full:devil ) with lids I had yarn spread all over the house in various places(sort of hiding it yah know) so I consolidated UGH I am a mess right now I cannot believe I have bought as much yarn as I did I have spent so much money over the years and I have so much YARN!!!! but I want to buy more! I cannot help it! In what little free time I have I surf the net looking for more yarn and more patterns to make more crochet things I don't have alot of time so I don't get as many projects done as I would like to! I just have a skein of this and a skein of that Because I cannot pass up Beautiful YARN. If it is on sale like on clearance I buy it because it is such a good price who could pass it up at that price? I don't have alot of money to keep buying yarn but they keep coming out with more and more UGH UGH Is any one else like this or am I completely over the edge I need serious help :blush

ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO CURB THIS ADDICTION??? They should come up with a group called YAA yarn addicts anonymous I could be president :blush

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sounds like you need to focus some of your buying efforts on patterns for scrap projects! lol

I love it, too, but I just have to tell myself NO most of the time cause we can't afford it. When I *do* have $$ to spend, I'm terrible about deciding what to buy! lol

:devil I'd like to offer helpful advice, but that sounds "normal" to me. Then again, I am that woman who thinks if I don't pick up a basket, I won't buy too much yarn. I end up with hands full and a skein hanging from my teeth before I make it to the checkout. Sounds like we both need the Stash Busting CAL! :yarn

Trust me, you are not the only one. I have at least, at last count, (and I am not kidding) over 75 boxes, bags, totes, wicker baskets, you name it, if it can be filled, it is filled with yarn. Does that stop me from buying more?? No, of course not. And sometimes I have passed up yarn in a discount type of store, thinking it would be there the next time, and of course, it is gone. So I buy just enough to satisfy a decent sized project (whether or not I have something in mind or not) and then I am happy. I check out dollar stores, discount stores, clearance sales and stock up. I use coupons too, whenever I can.

Wish I could assure you that the feeling goes away, but it hasn't for me.

And I am like Crochet Hen, don't think I need a basket, famous last words, I end up having a sales associate look at me and say "Would you like me to get a basket for you?"

LI Roe

I don't actually know how much I have but I keep buying yarn. Whenever I have a little extra time, I run down to craft store in town and look at what they have and I almost always buy something (usually I don't have a project in mind but I just like the yarn :D ). I have an antique file cabinet (extra long drawers) completely full of yarns and threads, a huge (over sized) plastic container full of yarn and WIPs that I forgot about and a big blanket wooden chest that has old quilts and tons of yarn. This doesn't count all the yarn I have setting around the house. :eek

You are definately in the right place, there are lots of yarn addicts here, I am one as well can't go to ANY store that sells yarn or craft items without looking to see what they have. I don't always buy it though. I have several large totes, a few shoulder bags, wickerbaskets etc. with yarn in them. To keep myself from buying more I try to finish at least one WIP befre buying more, UNLESS it is a clearance sale....I have gone in several times and not bought the yarn I wanted thinking I would come back and get it later and then it be gone when I do get back.

You are SOOO not alone!!! about two weeks ago Joann's was clearing out their Christmas stuff including the Caron holiday red, green, gold, etc. I passed those up at both my local store and the one by mom's house. but i did see a huge skein of Bernat Handicrafter Christmas in red....there was just one skein. i bought about 6 in green early in the x-mas season and have still not made the sweater i planned for it....i saw this lonely skein a couple of more times in the last several weeks...then finally yesterday, although i had very little time and i knew the chances of it still being there got less and less every day, i found myself going in. All of the Caron was now gone and the rack only had sets of plastic hooks and roll-up cases on clearance. sigh...then i remembered one other place they sometimes keep clearance yarn and BINGO!! there it was....i had no idea what i was going to do with it but I LOVE working with cotton. i didn't even know if it was on sale (reg $14.00) cuz it didn't have a sticker but i took it anyway (luckily it was like 60/70% off!!)...on the way home i decided i am going to make myself a hooded scarf. i've made so many scarfs in the last couple of months and *I* don't have one!! i also picked up a set of "sparkly" plastic hooks and a case to give my dd for her birthday (6yo) next month ($2 each...how do you pass that up?!!) dh doesn't have a clue...oh my!!

i haven an entire room filled wall to wall no kidding with yarn from lion brand to red heart to simply soft to who knows what is back there i have yarn in two totes next to the couch in the living room i have a tote full in the master bedroom i have yarn in my car once in a while. my yarn room picks are in my epson album if any one wants to see my nightmare. its in the folder yarn room

just dont laugh cause you would think i have enough but nooooo i have to go buy more geezz

http://tinyurl.com/5x69x

Dawn

Check out my name. I know what you mean about stashing yarn and still wanting to buy more! Yesterday I went thru everything I have and I was really suprise how small my stash has gotten. I fixed that on my lunch break! Ran down to the local Michaels and stocked up!! :devil

I have a huge yarn stash that my husband is begging me to get organized, but when I'm in the middle of working on swaps, I have a hard time doing that. I get the itch to buy yarn about once every other week, and thankfully, it usually happens when I get paid. Still, in all seriousness, if it's causing you to not be able to pay bills, buy groceries, make the house payment, it may be a bigger problem than just having a large stash. Remember, you can always bag up the stuff you think you won't use and drop it off at a goodwill or something like that.

We can't be expected to take blame for this...it's a sickness people!!!! :rofl Looks like it's spreading like wildfire around the 'ville!!!:devil

I have a huge yarn stash that my husband is begging me to get organized, but when I'm in the middle of working on swaps, I have a hard time doing that. I get the itch to buy yarn about once every other week, and thankfully, it usually happens when I get paid. Still, in all seriousness, if it's causing you to not be able to pay bills, buy groceries, make the house payment, it may be a bigger problem than just having a large stash. Remember, you can always bag up the stuff you think you won't use and drop it off at a goodwill or something like that.

It isn't that bad yet :devil It just amazes me that I could have SO much Yarn and want to buy more:)

I feel a little better now! At least I am not alone:D My husband looks at the stash everyday and gets this weird smile and just shakes his head! He really can't say anything cause he has a tool addiction. I do have to confess though:blush I went to Walmart today and yes I bought some more :eek

Addictive, isn't it? I have yarn that I don't even know I have:think . I have yarn in places I don't remember putting it, in colors I don't recall... it is SO disorganized... it wants to be organized... buuuttttttt, there's too much to put in any one place, so it just is, well everywhere... two large tubs overflowing from under the bed - the lids just hover above them because there's way too much yarn stuffed in there... a large wicker chest stuffed, a small dresser stuffed... two Rubbermaid sheds stuffed... plus project bags and store bags stuffed behind things, under things... it's bad:no ... but whatever; doesn't stop me from buying more:devil .

"My name is Paulette and I'm a yarnaholic...:yarn "

Archived