Valentine Mystery CAL ..Day #6 Post 354, 329, 308, 284, 124,202

minwifeof4boys

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had gotten behind yesterday, but caught up today. Since mine looks like most of the pictures I've seen, I guess I am doing okay. I need to get batteries for my camera so I can take a picture too.

I think I am finally getting it after ripping a few more times. I also don't really like the way it looks at the end of some of the rows, but I will wait until its done to get the big picture! I know its not necessarily going to look exact. I did make a small change in the first row with contrasting color so my stitch wouldn't disappear. I dipped into the row below.

IMG_0131.sized.jpg

This is fun doing a mystery CAL. I'm not very familiar with graphs but I wanted to get some practice before starting my dad's birthday present. I am doing mine in thread becuase I found it quicker than the yarn. I was thinking though that this might look neat in Fun Fur. I have some light pink and bright pink that would contrast nicely. Leah, how much in yardage do you think that this will take?

Here's my Day 2 effort. Am I doing something wrong? I, like a lot of others, cannot stand the raggedy edges! Do I just not look at it, Lea? Avoid it? That's so difficult!!! I've done graphs in the past and I don't remember them looking so ugly!

MysteryValentineCalDay1.jpg

Here's Day 3. Previous pic was Day 2 (got my days all mixed up!) Looks like the white is showing through way too much on the bottom one. Gotta fix that somehow without frogging!

Lea, will the pretty ribbon or lace work with 'em? Lace is 3" wide...maybe too wide. And I'm curious about the fun fur too. Doing the contrast color in the fun fur sure would hide all those raggedy lines.

DCP01356cropped.jpg

Everybody have fun today.:yay I'll have to come back later to see how things are going and to get today's directions. :ghug

Here's my Day 2 effort. Am I doing something wrong? I, like a lot of others, cannot stand the raggedy edges! Do I just not look at it, Lea? Avoid it? That's so difficult!!! I've done graphs in the past and I don't remember them looking so ugly!

MysteryValentineCalDay1.jpg

I was wondering the same thing...mine looks like yours on the edges too. I thiink yours looks good. It took me a bunch of tries to get mine to look like that. For a while , the bottom stitch was always off center or something.

OK....skipping Sunday school to post this... OK... not really skipping it, I was planning to only go to church any way...

Row 14-17

with white 5sc

with contrast 17sc

with white 5 sc

chain 1 turn after each row

That's it... that's it for right now.... have a fine day... all day long!

Ok I find it very interesting that on BOTH pieces it's looking wonky in the exact same place. I can't imagine what I could do differently to fix that. I am going into the correct stitch....Hmm..oh well. It's neat to be learning this. It's making me want to try different designs!

th_IMAG0009.jpg

...I can give you a clue.... today my blog was featured on a craft site that has tons of different contributors....so if you can find THAT site....you'll find out what the original game plan is....

I FOUND IT! BUT I'M NOT TELLIN'!

Now that we are home from church, I had time to work up todays part. This is fun!!! I am thinking about possably making it into a little book to give to my DH. I just have to figure out how to do it. :-)

Have not posted much but I am working on my mystery lol

I have crocheted yrs but not tapestry crochet or whatever this is called. My crochet mind library is limited lol...if you look at my blog, I needed this recently for a Nightmare Before Christmas pillow for my teenager too :P ...soo the timing is perfect because I was so mad that I couldn't do this way on the pillow...I had to crochet Jack's face after the fact.

So I am determined to learn how this is done. I have frogged quite a bit but going to try again. One mistake I see is that I've been picking up the new color at sc 14 (middle of project) rather than at the end of stitch 13. That changes every row after that.

I am doing it in thread and also in WW. I began on thread & decided I needed to work on my mistakes bigger :lol

I'll post a pic when I get it figured out...hopefully before the CAL is over :yes Just kidding!

Well I haven't posted yet but I have been working on this. More frogging then crocheting. I somehow got an extra row in but I am going to leave it and see how it turns out I am sick of frogging itth_100_0521.jpg

.I am going to have to practice this a lot more before I ever attempt anything big but thats why i joined to learn something new:yes

Kim, those look great.

Ok I am really really getting honked now. I just started another one...and it's looking WORSE than my other one. I am really really determined now I am going to to do this and do it right.

Ok here is a tip that might help some of you. The problem on the wrong side seems to only be an issue on the last stitch of the contrasting color. What I have done to make it look a little better is this. Only use this technique on the wrong side.

For this example I will use white for the main color and red for the contrasting color.

On your last stitch of red with two loops on the hook drop the loop closest to the hook and then take the red in your hand and place it under your hook and then pick the loop that you dropped back up. The red end should be on the wrong side of your work between your two loops and underneath the hook. Now pull up your white loop and continue on as normal. This puts your end on the wrong side of your work and keeps it close to the red instead of it having a strand of white between it, which is what is happening to most of us.

I can't explain it very easy so if someone else understands what I am trying to say and can say it better feel free to do so. I am at work now so I will try to post some pictures tomorrow if I can. Everyone's is looking good so far.

OMIGHOSH, Greg. You are a genius!!!!!!!!!! I KNEW there would be some little trick to that.....

th_IMAG0011-2.jpg

the left side near the top is where I started to use greg's technique. WHAT a difference. Now I still need to figure out what I am doing on the right hand side.....frog once again. But I see the light at the end of the tunnel!!

Archived