Valentine Mystery CAL ..Day #6 Post 354, 329, 308, 284, 124,202

minwifeof4boys

Everyone's work looks great! Ds had a basketball game about 2 hours from the house so I've been gone a bit... looking good peeps!!!!

Anyone want to guess what it is yet LOL...

I can give you a clue.... today my blog was featured on a craft site that has tons of different contributors.... and even though when she asked if she could advertise I told her it was a MYSTERY CAL, she told exactly waht it was... so if you can find THAT site....you'll find out what the original game plan is....

Anyone doing this in thread want to post a pic>>>????

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ooooooo!!!!! everyones is looking really cool! I can't wait to see what it is! :cheer

You might want to just work through at this point... Remember either the Amish or Shakers make an on purpose mistake in their work since they believe God is the only perfect thing... we can roll with that if you'd like :D

The Native Americans believed and did the same thing when they made their beadwork :D

This is GREAT! I have always been to critical of my work to even attempt a graph. While things do feel a little awkward and I am by no means perfect....this is much easier than I anticipated. Thank you so much! I cannot wait to see what the next few rows will bring.......

Well if I were a betting man I would guess that we are working on the bottom of a heart. Now if we are going to do 5 rows a day until Valentine's Day then I would say there is probably much more above the heart.

And oh by the way I came up with a really cool idea today. (Disclaimer: Just in case my idea is the same as the Mystery CAL I promise I had no idea!) I was thinking of making a crocheted Valentine's Day card for my DW. I think that would be really special. I am going to start on that soon. And if this happens to be the same thing then she will just get two!!! :manyheart

I have a question...anyone else a lefty doing this CAL?

I'm a lefty. My grandmother taught me, and I guess I picked it up from just watching her. Now, when I have tried to teach someone who is right-handed...forget it! I actually have to try to stitch right-handed so I can explain it to them. I don't try to teach anyone very often.

OK..... another full day of b-ball games.....Also, would some one like to volunteer to put all of day 1-3 in one post......maybe a whole seperate thread....????

Hooks ready????

Row 11: with white sc 7

with contrast sc 13

with white sc 7

Rows 12 & 13: with white sc 6

with contrast 15

with white 6

That's it... That's it for right now....have a fine day... all day long

I can post all 3 days Lea, always save them to wordpad.

with white.....chain 28

Row 1: sc in 2nd chain from hook and across... chain 1 turn ( 27 sc made)

Row 2-5 : sc across..... chain 1 turn

Row 6:With white sc 13 with two white loops on the hook,make a third loop with your contrasting color leaving a tail to the back to weave in later. Pull that loop through the two white loops. 1 contrast loop made. With 2 contrast loops on hook, bring white across the back and make a third loop on hook with the white. Pull through the two contrast loops and pull tight. white stitch made. Do not end off contrast but leave it laying on the back side of the piece. Through out he piece make sure the color not in use is to the back of the piece. Crochet 12 more sc in white. Chain 1 turn

This is how you change colors through out the piece.

Row 7: with white sc 11

with contrast sc 5

with white sc 11

chain 1 turn

When carrying yarn to the back since there are just a few rows, I lay the color not in use flat and sort of pick up and carry it along ( see photo)

Row 8: white sc 10

contrast sc 7

white sc 10

chain 1 turn

Row 9: white sc 9

contrast sc 9

white sc 9

chain 1 turn

Row 10: white sc 8

contrast sc 11

white sc 8

chain 1 turn

Row 11: with white sc 7

with contrast sc 13

with white sc 7

Rows 12 & 13: with white sc 6

with contrast 15

with white 6

i needed help with finding the instructions to day two but i found them.

Lea: would it be possible for you to edit your very first post to add the post numbers of the updates?

ie...posts #'s 124, #202, #284

It would be so much easier for folks like me that have a hard time seeing in the first place. :)

BTW: I'm having a great time with this CAL and loving what I'm seeing so far. I don't think mine is coming out too badly. I'm pretty proud of it so far.

Can someone please explain what it means to "carry the yarn"? I've looked at several help sites but still don't quite understand the concept. Do you not cut the yarn and just work over it until needed again? My pattern looks OK but I have wayyyyy to many yarn tails!!

Thanks for any help!

Can someone please explain what it means to "carry the yarn"? I've looked at several help sites but still don't quite understand the concept. Do you not cut the yarn and just work over it until needed again? My pattern looks OK but I have wayyyyy to many yarn tails!!

Thanks for any help!

kim i had the same problem check out this video, it helped me

http://nexstitch.com/v_changing_yarn.html

Thanks for any help!

I will try.

You do not cut your yarn. I am using pink as my contrast color, so, when I am using the contrast I carry my white along and crochet it into the pink by carrying it along the wrong side of the pattern. I get to point where I need to use the white, drop the pink and pick up the white again.

I don't know if this helped you or not, but I hope so. It did take me a bit to figure out how to carry yarn when I started doing this type of pattern (well, I have not finished any yet, but have started a graph afghan for my dad's fav sports team)

I'm not going to mention how many times that I have had to take this out and begin again....too many. But, after almost giving up, I think I might have figured it out. Feels a little awkward still to change colors, but I'm getting it. Crochet has always been something I have felt so comfortable with, and felt pretty good at it, but trying to learn this has rocked my comfort zone a little. Anybody else feel that way? I mean a few times today, I just felt dumb, because I felt like i was following directions and then it looked funny. Finally mine looks like everyone elses!:cheer

Thank you both!! I guess I'm doing it right but I can see a lot of the white through the colored stitches LOL!!

I wonder if you stitch looser then I do. I don't see any white with mine. Make sure that you are holding the white to the back of the stitching, at the bottom of the stitching. Don't let it ride up to the top. I don't know if that makes sense or not, but it is how I make sure that no stitching shows through.

I remember the first graph I ever did .... lots of the carrying color showing through.... it lumped and puffed when I doubled hte colors... I would drop a stitch so it looked like holes around hte graphed in part.... that was 25 years ago.... today and many graphs later... I have my rythm , just like with any crochet tecnique I do.... the same will happen to you all too.... I htink everyones looks great so far AND I admire all of you for not giving up and plowing through :clap You all are becoming my new heros :D

So, Leah, I understand that practice makes everything better, but I just have to ask....how do you get the thread to behave when working on the wrong side? I've tried a lot of different things...but nothing is working. I am doing a good job of hiding it... but I want my edge to look smooth

I am trying not to be too nit picky with mine...it's looking pretty good for being my first time, but I am annoyed. LOL.

So, Leah, I understand that practice makes everything better, but I just have to ask....how do you get the thread to behave when working on the wrong side? I've tried a lot of different things...but nothing is working. I am doing a good job of hiding it... but I want my edge to look smooth

I am trying not to be too nit picky with mine...it's looking pretty good for being my first time, but I am annoyed. LOL.

~ avoidance.... I just don't look at it:D

Archived