Where did "frog" come from?

both my grandmother's said "rip it" when referring to pulling out stitches, but I did find one of my paternal grandmother's patterns that had handwritten notes in it (not sure if it's her handwriting) that had crochet terms and their definitions written on it...and frogging was in the list, with a little frog drawn next to it. I got the feeling it was a note that had been passed to someone else in her crochet group she met with every week.

Just read something in "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Knitting and Crocheting."

" 'Tink' refers to taking out stitches one at a time; 'tink' is 'knit' backwards. 'Frog' refers to ripping out large batches:2frog of knitting." (OK, I was in the knitting section. Sue me.) :2frog

I did know about that as I have been known to hold pointy sticks and even to have to undo what I have done with said pointy sticks. therefore, tinking is a known entity.

Life in the frog pond can be really quite comfortable... all the good people are here all the time :frog:wlol

The term is also used, in the same context: frog = rip-it, rip-it, rip-it , by those who cross stitch, and find themselves taking 10 mins to frog 3 hours stitching. My other craft passion is cross-stitching. There have been times when I've spent just as much time frogging as creating........not a 'good thing".

I never thought of it that way before. I always thought it was an exclamation of annoyment, like darn.

"I frogged the stitches up again!"

:lol Frogged it up! :lol Hadn't thought of it that way! :lol

Archived