A guy from Austin, TX

baricrazi

:welcome to Crochetville! Its great to see men picking up a hook and learning the art of crochet. I understand about wanting to reconnect to your great grandmother...my great aunt was a crochet wiz. She is the main reason why I picked up a hook and a skein of yarn and a how-to book. Glad to have you with us!

Welcome from S. Florida!

You won't believe how fast you learn! It's just a matter of muscle memory. Once your hands get used to the "feel" of crochet, you'll be well on your way to making lovely things for your wife AND for you!!

Hi there. That is such a great story about why you are learning. My grandmother also was a wonderful crochter and knitter. I have a sweater still that she had given me from when I was a child. I too crochet as well as it reminds me of her when I was young. So many great memories. Anyway, keep up with it and it will come......best of luck.:wangel

ShinyDay

Welcome!

I joined yesterday and Really like it. My grandma taught me when I was 5 and I am now 49.It sure relaxes me. I taught 4 of my 6 kids to crochet (and some were my sons). The girls ( 21 and 15) are always crocheting and I have to hide my yarn at times!!!

I think you and your wife should take classes together and then go out to dinner, it would be a really cool evening out.

Hello and welcome from CA.

I understand about working into the chain. I finally realized there are several different ways of working that first row into the foundation chain. It used to drive me crazy until I decided that I would just do it the way I wanted. You can get slightly different looks depending on which loop you go into, but I think the important thing is choosing your own way to get the look you want.

I can also suggest looking at books/magazines. That was how I learned that there are different ways.

marillion

baricrazi

It gets easier each time you try.

2 of my students have been guys.

They do FANTASTIC work.

Sailors used to crochet and sell their wears once in port.

I am looking VERY forward in seeing your items.

HANG IN THERE.

You will be glad you did.

Welcome! We're so glad to have you! I definitely recommend the videos that were posted on this thread...it is so helpful to actually SEE what the instructions are talking about. For many years I only went in one top loop until I learned a few months back that it was supposed to be both loops for most things.

Also, I think single crocheting is harder than some of the other stitches...so once you've got that mastered...the rest will be very easy!

Archived