Holy Rusted Straight Pins Thread People!

astridz55

I made some snowflakes and used the glue and water mix and pinned them to a plastic wrap covered foam board as I have heard is a way to block thread projects.

They dried then when I went to pull the pins, I noticed there were several rusted spots. :eek I believe that the pins said nickle covered steel. Can anyone tell me if I should get something else? Or is there anything that I can do with these for them to not rust on me?

Thanks for any help.

I am very careful of which pins I buy for blocking doilies and such. They must say rust proof or they stay on the shelf.

I also like the ones with the glass heads. Easier on my poor fingers. Though I did catch my cat coming along behind me the other day and pulling the pins out. She could get hold of the glass headed pin. Some help uh.............:D

I am never sure which pins do or don't rust, so I err on the safe side and buy quilters pins that specifically say "rust free". Sadly, they are far more expensive than the regular straight pins (although they are still just pins - not bank busting! :U and they are very reusable), but they do have those fun balls on the ends.

I haven't yet had to deal with rust, so I don't know how you get them out, though...

Oh, how awful!:eek I hope you can get the rust spots out.

I've never done any thread blocking where I had to pin it in place, but I do quilting and I know that the safety pins I use are rust proof because they often spend a LONG time waiting for me to get back to them...

i had this happen just this weekend (but i knew my pins werent rust free as i dont have access to those) so i sewed a sequin with a small pearl bead over each rust spot. it added some colour, hid my mess and looked pretties!! glue and glitter could work too

Yes you will want to get some Nickle-Free straight pins and get the kind with the colored balls on top as they are easier to pin down, no more sore fingers.. but I was once where you are. I bleached mine and all the rust came off so you might want to try that.

I sew and quilt and quilters pins might work. I haven't had them to rust on anything yet.

I am sorry about the snowflakes. All that work and then the rust . I know you must be heartbroken. pinkroses

i see you say you used the glue and water mix to block the snowflakes

i have just finished a standing angel and have tried sugar water and spray starch to stiffen but these were still too soft please can you tell me what kind of glue and what ratio you used and was it really stiff thank you

I'm bad. I know I should use more specific ratios but I had a paper plate and put some water on it, then put some craft glue in the water. It was messy so I kept a cup of water beside me to clean off my fingers every few pins.

I have also tried to use heavy spray starch but it wasn't as stiff as I would like. I think I had a little tiny rust spot from that too just much less noticible. I have seen one place that said mix the glue and water and brush it on.

I also read something somewhere about pining it to the ironing board, starching it heavily, letting it dry, pulling the pins, then ironing it. I might try that next time.

There is also this cleaner called Greased Lightening! This is miracle stuff, it even removes bloodstains and you can clean just about anything with it. I swear by it! I find it at Walmart! You must give it a try!

Here is an idea so you do not have to wet the snowflakes again. Get fabric paint or white out. Yes I did say white out in the office supply section. Dab it on the areas that have rust color to them and wa la they are white again. Another idea is to get glitter in a pen and dress them up.

Either way, you are not restartching and repinning.

Many fabric and craft stores carry rust proof pins. Just check or ask.:hook

• 2 weeks later...

Goldie,

I use about 50-50 glue and water. It is pretty stiff. Don't know where you're from, but here in Florida the sugar doesn't hold its stiffness when the weather gets really humid (like it is now). :irk

woah!!!! that's horrid!! i hope you can get the stains out

i've never blocked using pins... i usually just wrap my item in a wet dishtowel and then gently iron it using the lowest setting.

this way i get the item to flatten without scorching it. it works on acrylics too (i blocked chenille this way and it came out perfect!)

I'm working on my first thread project now and I'm dreading having to block it. I've looked everywhere and I can't find any pins that actually say 'rust proof'. Someone in this thread mentioned buying pins that are nickel free. Are nickel free pins automatically rust proof?

I'm trusting that they are, because they're the only ones I can find, nowadays. So far I've blocked about 30 doilies with them, and stiffened about 30 snowflakes, and I haven't had any problems. The ones I use are quilting pins, I think, with colored heads (made by Dritz).

ETA: I meant nickel-plated pins, not nickel free ones. Nickel-plated ones are the ones I use.

Goldie,

I use about 50-50 glue and water. It is pretty stiff. Don't know where you're from, but here in Florida the sugar doesn't hold its stiffness when the weather gets really humid (like it is now). :irk

sorry i missed this post thank -you anyway

i just added glue to water and brushed it on after blocking and it came out a treat if you want to see my efforts it is posted in thread show and tell (angel )

I'm trusting that they are, because they're the only ones I can find, nowadays. So far I've blocked about 30 doilies with them, and stiffened about 30 snowflakes, and I haven't had any problems. The ones I use are quilting pins, I think, with colored heads (made by Dritz).

ETA: I meant nickel-plated pins, not nickel free ones. Nickel-plated ones are the ones I use.

Thanks! I'm going to find some pins today. :)

I ran into the same problem and I was unable to find rust free pins.

To get the stains out get "Whink Rust and Stain Remover". Apply with qtip, give it a few seconds and re-apply as needed. Don't use too much or the stiffy will become wimpy.

Use new pins, use them once and toss them

i see you say you used the glue and water mix to block the snowflakes

i have just finished a standing angel and have tried sugar water and spray starch to stiffen but these were still too soft please can you tell me what kind of glue and what ratio you used and was it really stiff thank you

I bought Ailene's stiffener to make this Xmas tree stand on its own. It's been standing for 10 years.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=4250960&a=31466836&p=75105074

Brass pins do not rust. So if you don't see "rust free" or something like that, just make sure they are brass and not steel. In my experience, any kind of steel pin will rust with the length of time it takes for a well starched crochet piece to dry. I buy mine at Hancock's. They are made by Dritz and say brass silk pins on the paper or the box.

Nancy

Archived