Granny Square Handwarmers

aliciasjoy

Hi everyone! I didn't design these. They were requested of me for a swap and the original came from this etsy seller:

dahliasoleil.etsy.com

Here's my version:

grannyhandaction.jpg

And flat:

grannyhand.jpg

They were pretty easy, but at first I ended up making two rights (duh!), but it wasn't too hard to fix since the thumbhole is so close to the top.

I've been knitting a lot lately, and one thing I definitely love about crochet is it's so much easier to fix mistakes!

I used Patons wool for the gray, and the blue and pink are Knit Picks Wool of the Andes. These probably took less than half the gray skein and a tiny bit of the colors.

Thanks for looking! I think they turned out really cute, and I actually didn't like them at first!

Those are wonderful!!! Are they your own pattern? If so, I would love to have it and give them a try. If not, could you tell me where to find it so I can make a pair? My daughter would love them and it would be a great Christmas present. Did it take long?

:laughrollOk, I just went back and looked at them again and I missed your line at the top regarding where you got the pattern. I guess I need more coffee :ccompute !! Thank you for sharing, you just gave me a great idea for a Christmas gift!!! Again, they are very trendy and fun!!

Thanks everyone! I'm going to be making another pair for another swap.

I made the granny first, and then measured it. Then I made a rectangle the same height as the granny and the width needed to go around the rest of her wrist.

Then I kept on from the rectangle and joined at the top of the granny, across the granny and joined again at the other side of the rectangle to start working in the round. Then I increased 4 stitches evenly for two rounds (this could be different for different hand sizes), then worked even until where I wanted the thumbhole to be.

For that I just slipped across 10 stitches (you may need more or less) at the designated point (determined by trying it on and sticking a pin where I thought it should be) and on the next round chained 6 and joined at the top of the last slip stitch of the round below. I just tried it on at that point to make sure it wouldn't be too tight across the palm, since she and I had the same palm measurements. Then just kept going until the end.

I sewed the sides of the granny and the rectangle together at the very end.

I'm sure there are different ways to put one together-I considered adding the granny bit last, but this way seemed the easiest to me.

Oh, and I used hdc instead of sc, since it's both stretchier and faster. The originals looked like sc, but I hate it so.

I also think it would be really cute to just keep going and decrease to make mittens. It would be easy enough to pick up stitches around the thumb.

Archived