Crochet Journal?

C.D.

Question

Hello all,

I was wondering if any of you journal for your crocheting?

Things like keeping track of things you want to make, things you have seen, or "anything I see, I can crochet".

Thanks in advance for answering

I just started to for my crafts. I bought a nice hardbound journal (Moleskine--has acid free paper to last) and wrote down some projects I've done. For some bead jewelry I did I "drew" the beads and wrote what they were. That was easier then trying to write down what I did or what size beads I used.

I would like to have more of a scrapbook, with pics and such, but for now this will do. I just started this so I will see how it works. I can add pics to the pages and such, so that's no bad.

I saw a Knitting Journal that is available to buy and I thought I could use that and convert it to a Crochet Journal... but we'll see...

Debbi

I keep one. It's just a hard cover A4 spiral book and in it I have my Christmas gifts list, ideas for desgins and I use it to write my pattern as I go when I am designing something. Becasue it is hard cover I don't need anything to lean it on and can write my pattern as I go no matter where I am.

I read about it in an article on Annie's Attic and went and brought myself on the next day!!! I think it's great!!!:cheer

I have a composition book (those black and white seamed notebooks) and for each pattern I start, I scan/print and paste a copy of the finished object for reference, and jot down any changes I make to the pattern as I go. In the back I keep a list of things I want to work on, with links and references as the where the pattern is. I keep a little memo pad in my purse that I keep a Christmas list in, and as I finish the items I mark them off and transfer them into my other composition book of FO's (complete with photos of the FO for posterity).

I also keep track of everything on my computer, and once I get the courage to start an online journal (I already have a writing livejournal, a personal site and other sites *is a geek*) for crocheting I'll use that as well. :)

Perhaps those years working in a library were useful... ;)

i started printing neat patterns out on cardstock, then putting them into report covers(the individual page ones with three holes) then into a three ring binder. so while i am working on a pattern, i can cross off what i've already worked with whiteboard markers. i have a toddler at home so it keeps all the paperwork in one spot, i also then have a record of what ive made. once i work on more of the patterns i want to try, i will add dividers to the notebook as well.

What I like to do is cut the pictures out of magazines or catalogs and tape them into a note book. That way when I'm not so certain what to try to make next I take a look through the pages and usually end up combining things I hadn't thought of when I cut the pictures out to begin with.

If I'm making an original of anysort, I have a notebook in which Iwrite it all down. For the rest, I make notes on the pattern and date it, so if I go back to it, (or want to) the info is right there. I have a separate notebook for Christmas gifts (they're not all homemade!). I'm thinking I should start a book journal--saw someone else with one--to keep track of what I've read and if I like it. I don't think I'll ever get to doing something like that for my finished projects...kudos to you who do! It sounds exciting.

(My "big" projects get photo'd and end up in the album with all the family pictures...then I can remember what else went on around then. I used to have a mini-album I stuck photos in, till I filled it, lost some and eventually just quit having a separate album...ah well. c'est la vie!)

I have a small soft journal that I keep with me almost all the time- either in my project bag or in my purse. It is about the size of a checkbook. I use it to jot notes about projects that I am working on, projects that I want to try, what I made and who it was for, etc.

Each month I carry over my WIP list and I make a notation of the date when it was completed. I am only at the point where I am crocheting scarfs or shawls without following a pattern, so this size of journal works well for me.

I really like the idea of noting if you liked a pattern or modified it. I am going to incorporate that into my notes.

I use 3x5 cards and carry them in a coupon holder. It has 10-13 sections I forgot. I keep my person patterns in sections (ie hats, purses, kids, misc access. then i have a section of cards with websites that have a free pattern I would like to make (since some say you can't print them off) and i also have the patterns I can print in a section and in the order I would like to make them (this changes almost weekly) with my notes on them if i change something or make it bigger or smaller. I also have a section of just blank cards to sketch or write ideas down. I actaully got in trouble at walmart last night casue I was sketching out the basic design of a scarf they had for sale that i thought i could duplicate and one of hte employees said i wasn't allowed to do it.

I guess I don't keep a regular journal, but I do keep notes of what I make and for who on sticky notes. These I put on the pattern that I used and have what yarn and hook I used, who I made it for (if for someone) and the date I made it. Also any other notes I need if I do that pattern again. Sometimes when looking through pattern books and magazines if I see a pattern I want to make I will put the sticky note on the outside of the book and write the pattern on it. I take photos of some of the things I make too.

My blog is my journal. I take pics with my cell phone of things I see when I’m out and then when I get home I make notes in word and then same them on a flash drive. Prior to that, everything I made or sold I wrote in a small notebook.

Archived