Baby, It's Cold Outside CAL - Larger Sizes TOO!!!

KnicKnac

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, Darski!

Now I'm off to make another one. I think I may try to make one with a hood. My son has an affinity for them, so I thought he might like one of these with a hood. Perhaps orange and navy blue? Teal and chocolate brown? I don't know - I'll have to check my stash to see what I have. Maybe a zipper closure? These sweaters are so awesome, and now that it's finally getting cold here, he might actually get to wear some of them!

Hi...

I'm not Julee, but I've now done two of the hats. First, it is much easier to sew the sides first, and then gather up the top. Lay the hat flat, then bring the top increased corner to meet the top decreased corner. Then start crocheting them together. The seam goes on a diagonal. On one of mine I single crocheted them, and the next one I slip stitched the seam. I like the slip stitched one better.

Good Luck!

Joan

I did a gauge swatch and it was right on for 3month. I made up the back and one side, checked my measurments and now it is too small. I must have crochetemy gauge swatch more loosely.

Now I have to frog it and start over, I am going to go up onw hook size and see waht happens.

Hi...

I'm not Julee, but I've now done two of the hats. First, it is much easier to sew the sides first, and then gather up the top. Lay the hat flat, then bring the top increased corner to meet the top decreased corner. Then start crocheting them together. The seam goes on a diagonal. On one of mine I single crocheted them, and the next one I slip stitched the seam. I like the slip stitched one better.

Good Luck!

Joan

Well said Joan. I agree, slip stitch the sides together, then gather the top. Much easier to work with then.

Awesome! And your latest sweater looks great, too! I agree, Darski, Coco Chanel. :D I can't wait to see one with a hood. I would definitely have to try a pullover hoodie! With a kangaroo pocket! :lol

Thanks, Darski!

Now I'm off to make another one. I think I may try to make one with a hood. My son has an affinity for them, so I thought he might like one of these with a hood. Perhaps orange and navy blue? Teal and chocolate brown? I don't know - I'll have to check my stash to see what I have. Maybe a zipper closure? These sweaters are so awesome, and now that it's finally getting cold here, he might actually get to wear some of them!

My sister-in-law just had Baby #5! Little miss Maria Katherine was the first baby born in McKinney TX this year!!

http://www.courier-gazette.com/articles/2007/01/04/mckinney_courier-gazette/news/anews01.txt

Here's her little sweater -- the yarn around the edges is sparkly.:

th_MariaSweater003.jpg

th_MariaSweater002.jpg

Oh the joys of BICO!

Okay, I finished my size 4 ages ago, but I made some errors.

The sleeves are waaaay too long, and the neck is waaaay too wide.

The sleeves I can just roll up - she'll grow into them. But, I don't want to frog the whole thing to fix the neck. Any ideas on what I can do to close up the neck?

It goes too wide and too low. Could I just do a few rows of sc around the neckline to close it in? Or make a collar of some sort?

I made it so she could wear it for awhile; I'll move the buttons as she grows, so ideally, whatever I do to the neck should be easily reversible if it needs to be as she gets older.

So I found this crochet along yesterday at work and printed out the pattern with the thought that I would look it over last night and join today. Well, that didn't exactly happen. I had some lion's brand pound of love at home and with two strands held together I started and FINISHED one last night. This is such a great pattern and so easy to work. I am going to make a few more!

Yes that's exactly what I did with my size 6. For me the neck opening was way too wide (falling off shoulders) but the neck opening front to back was fine. Since I was using Homespun my correction didn't work at all, but even with ww I think you can do what I did...

I just filled in the width of the neck a little bit at each side. Since I was using homespun I didn't worry about the directions of my rows showing up so I just attached yarn at one corner of the neck opening (at the shoulder) and then did hdc across the opening from back to front or front to back crocheting into the ends of the rows that made the shoulder. I joined each row to the front or back as I went and then sl st up to start the next row until the shoulder was filled in enough (repeat for each shoulder). My "fill-in" rows were running perpendicular to the other rows of the BICO.

You could try to match the row direction and do a similar fill-in just crocheting into the back for as wide as you need at each shoulder in order to extending the shoulder rows into the neck opening space and joining each row at one side to the shoulder rows.

Hope you understand my ramblings!

Which ever way you go remember this... This is not a flaw, it is a design element in your BICO!

The woman I made a round ripple for when she was expecting loved it so much that she asked my husband if I could, if I had the time, make her something else for the baby.

I saw this thread and was wanting to make one but didn't have a little one to make it for..........soooooooo

th_100_1273.jpg

I made a matching hat to go along with it. It worked up very easily and in only 1 day. Nothing like instant gratification!!

We are FINALLY celebrating Christmas with my hubby's family so I have just finished up all my projects ...Here are 3 BICOs I made for my nieces!

DSC03558.jpg

This one is a sz 24 month..the color is a VERY vibrant blue ..I thought it would look awesome on my niece who has the BIGGEST blue eyes I have ever seen!

DSC03561.jpg

A 6 month in Homespun and Simply Soft

DSC03560.jpg

And a Sock Monkey set also in 6 months

Busy Mama to:

Hannah :princess (9), Logan :2frog (8), Lance :dance (6), Hayden :teddy(4)

and the TWINkies Mason and Morgan (19 months):ducky:ducky

Ok now all those are so cute and since I have 2 baby nieces. (one here and the other on the way) I will give this pattern a try. I hope I have some yarn around here to do it. I love the idea of matching hats and booties.

Ok now all those are so cute and since I have 2 baby nieces. (one here and the other on the way) I will give this pattern a try. I hope I have some yarn around here to do it. I love the idea of matching hats and booties.

Heather, it's a REALLY easy pattern to do and it doesn't really take much yarn either. I normally get bored doing a pattern too many times but this one is so fun because you can change it up so much!

Susan

Busy Mama to:

Hannah :princess (9), Logan :2frog (8), Lance :dance (6), Hayden :teddy(4)

and the TWINkies Mason and Morgan (19 months):ducky:ducky

Archived