Skipping Stones Circular Afghan CAL?

Tracey4610

Hey all!! I'm almost finished with a few more WIPs, and I have to start an afghan for my FIL. The pattern he picked out is the Skipping Stones Circular Afghan by Priscilla Hewitt, available here. Mine needs to be finished by Christmas, so there's plenty of time to get it finished. I will try to keep everything updated, and please post pics as you progress, and I will try as well! Let me know if you're interested!! TIA, Tracey

P.s., Let me know what color(s) you plan to use. My FIL wanted the color on the pattern, so I'm stuck with red, but with such an imagination-sparking name as this, can you just imagine the color schemes? I also looked through my stash, and I found an UFO that I have no desire to work on, but the colors would be perfect for this! : A nice, deep purple, a Red Heart Variegated called "Monet", another purple which I'd love to get my grubby hands on some more, and a marled one that is watery greens, purples, and blues.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oooh - I like this! Looks fairly easy and like it could go quickly. AND I need a new "something" for my bed (I'm SO SICK of my bedding set but can't afford to buy new!) I'll have to think on a good color...

ohhhhhhhhhhhh, that pretty. I want to make one tooooooooooo. I have so many things going right now, maybe I can start this one too. Tracey, your suggestion of purple I love it, I think thats what color I will use. I'll have to go throught my stash and see what I have, or maybe I'll just have to buy some new.

Kim

What color(s) are you all thinking? I'm not sure on mine yet...maybe turquoise, maybe a lighter blue/green...something that doesn't show cat hair too much! I'd be interested to hear what everyone else is using.:yarn:hook

My FIL's afghan is going to be in Mainstays Autumn Red (I bought the last couple skeins they had at Wal-Mart back in the spring when they got rid of the yarn). The next one will be in the greens, blues, and purples I already mentioned--I'll frog an UFO once the 1st is completed.

I have been reading along and thinking about trying this one~some are talking about using the Caron 1 pounders~are ya'll doubling up on that yarn????

Could this one be worked up with a single strand of yarn????:think

Just wondering~

mgf~:frog

I went looking for yarn last night, but didn't find any chunky yarn that I liked. Was thinking I would maybe use 2 strands together, but I do have other things I'm working on, so maybe I can wait on this one for a while.

I have just completed the first 10 rows and mine has bobbles in it. It doesn't look flat like Mirandas? HMMMMMM (That's me scratching my head)

I really thought the original had bobbles but after checking again and checking the pics here, I realized that it was just the lighting in the original. I didn't see any bobbles in the pattern when I quickly skimmed it.

I started mine yesterday, and I'm already on Round 15!! This is a really quick pattern to work with. I, too, thought it was full of bobbles, but instead, it's alternating certain stitches. You'll see what I mean when you get there. Miranda's looked 'flat' because she used a single strand (It's beautiful, btw, Miranda! :cheer). The pattern calls for the use of two strands at once (hence, the N hook), and when they're used, those alternating stitches look like bobbles. I'll try to upload a pic of mine when I can locate our camera and take some pics. I'm really liking this pattern--Priscilla did a wonderful job in designing it!! However, my FIL is a masculine kind of guy, and I'm afraid that the edging is a little too 'frilly' for his taste. Does anyone have any suggestions? Would a corded stitch (reverse sc) border look okay? The more plain in appearance, the better!! TIA!

Archived