Skipping Stones Circular Afghan CAL?

Tracey4610

OK, as promised, I finally FINALLY have a picture of my funky Skipping Stones circular afghan. Yes, the edges curl and don't lay flat, but I don't care. I like it, and it's warm. One of these days I'll add some more rows to it and actually do the edging in the pattern. Hope you like!IMG_0822.jpg

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Yay! Mine is done, too! Now I just have to wait until next weekend to give to my FIL for his birthday!! I'll post pics later this week, since we're having dd's b-day party today and need to save the camera battery. I'm just excited!!

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, y'all! Did anyone else join us in this venture? We've had 4 post pics, and we'd like to see more!! I'm going to continue this CAL because I have to make one for dd's room (her room is kinda on a watering hole theme!). Hello? (listens to crickets chirp)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to figure out how much yarn this takes, since Red Heart Chunky is nowhere to be found around here.

This is a terrific pattern, and won me a ribbon at the County fair. However, I made it using Lions Brand Woolease Thick and Quick (picture here), and it took 17 skeins! At $6 a skein, it was a very expensive little project for me. Now, I've had a request to make two more and I'm afraid they're a bit put off thinking they need to buy 17 skeins of anything ... so, what are real yarn requirements? How many yards for a Chunky yarn? Or, what kinds of yardage for a worsted weight doing it with double strands?

Thanks!!!

Shawnee in Oregon

Shawnee in Oregon~~

I used regular WW yarn for mine. I did double strand it and it ended up taking 80 ounces of yarn. So if you were to use RH it would cost you roughly $30.

I am also going to make another of these after the first of the year. The first one I made was a birthday gift and I loved the way it turned out. I have to have one of these. LOL.

• 3 weeks later...

It is so easy to follow once you get going and I've never finished an afghan so quick in my life. It is so versitile, you can use whatever materials you like. Also an excellent way to use up the stash. I made one with RH Light Raspberry for an "adopted" Grandma to my son and she loves it. I'm almost done with a baby size that. My son loves to play on the floor and pick at his quilt that is tied with yarn. I thought the bobble texture would be fun for him and my niece that is on the way. I'm making my first baby sized one in a variagated baby colors and it is so cute. I also started another one for a graduation present for my brothers girlfriend to take to college with her. It is alternating with maroon and gold for the University of MN-Gophers. The bobbles are gold and the dc rows are claret from RH. I may have to borrow it back from her to enter in the fair. I'm new to this site, but I will try to post pictures along the way. I was going to start one with a bunch of scraps for my sons 1st birthday. Keep the CAL going!

This is my ds on the baby version I did in an ombre from Caron.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q105/Craftymomma/DCP_0662.jpg

This is one in progress for our favorite sitter who is going to college this fall. It is in RH Claret and Gold for the University of MN-Gophers.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q105/Craftymomma/DCP_0664.jpg

This is my ds on the baby version I did in an ombre from Caron.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q105/Craftymomma/DCP_0662.jpg

This is one in progress for our favorite sitter who is going to college this fall. It is in RH Claret and Gold for the University of MN-Gophers.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q105/Craftymomma/DCP_0664.jpg

I like both of those!! Great job:yay

• 1 month later...

I finally received the yarn for my commissioned afghan, and got it done in one week. This is such a great pattern. I worked it up in Woolease Thick and Quick in Wheat. I made it a special prayer afghan for a 70th birthday, and had my friend give me a list of things I could pray for her mother while making this. So many of the stitches are in threes (symbolic of the Trinity) so while "prayer afghan" is not an intentional part of the original pattern, I really like how this pattern says that to me.

SkippingStonesAfghan2.jpg

I finally received the yarn for my commissioned afghan, and got it done in one week. This is such a great pattern. I worked it up in Woolease Thick and Quick in Wheat. I made it a special prayer afghan for a 70th birthday, and had my friend give me a list of things I could pray for her mother while making this. So many of the stitches are in threes (symbolic of the Trinity) so while "prayer afghan" is not an intentional part of the original pattern, I really like how this pattern says that to me.

SkippingStonesAfghan2.jpg

Beautiful!! You did a great job!!

Archived