Fair Ribbon Results: Not What I Expected

The Shrone

Update: I spoke with the Superintedent of the Home Arts. I posted what she had to say about the judge's decision.

OK, if you have followed the saga in these posts (first post, second post) then you would have read that I found out what I assumed was that my dad had told me I won a blue ribbon and had gotten an honorable mention on my two doilies.

I couldn't stand not knowing what doily had been cursed with an honorable mention, so today while I was just a mile away from the fair, I stopped in to find out the results.

I did not win a blue ribbon. The highest I won was 2nd place for Svanhild.

2ndplace-thumb.jpg

(Svanhild. Image is clickable)

As for the honorable mention, it went to Tala. Now, I realize I am too close to this emotionally to know if my feelings are warranted in feeling the judge has no freakin' clue about what constitutes a first place doily. So I have posted my honorable mention next to the first and second place winners respectively for you to come to your own conclusions about the awards. I do not have a picture of the third place doily in this class as I was too flooded with a sense of injustice to find it. I think seeing what took 1st and 2nd place speaks for itself. (Images are clickable)

5130honorable-thumb.jpg51301st-thumb.jpg51302nd-thumb.jpg

Now, you may be wondering, my dad said something about 1st place. Was he wrong? No, first place went to my sister's table runner, which had two known mistakes in it! I do not deny my sister is a superlative crocheter, but we both joked that this table runner had no real chance of placing because of those mistakes. For it to have taken first leaves me :think and contributes to my questioning of the judge's decisions.

~ Lori

WOW, those first and second place doilies are sooooo simple!! A beginner could make them.

Come on! Those judges have NOOOOOO clue at all what constitutes a good doily. I am apalled.

THIS is why I won't enter the fairs. Judging is so unfair. The judges were obviously NOT crocheters!!!!!!

Good Grief! Yours is CLEARLY harder and prettier...I think those who enter should be advised of the judges cridentials (sp) too!

I'm sorry - but yours is beautiful. And those of us who crochet, we understand. If I had a virtual blue ribbon, it would be YOURS!

I honestly have to wonder if the judges crochet. You were robbed very badly. The second place ribbon in my opinion didn't warrant any ribbon. Not that the work wasn't neat, but it had no difficulty in it what so ever and was very plain jane. The first place winner deserves something, but not first. You should be a little upset with the judges decision, but I know you'll take it with a grain of salt because you know yours was the best, even though they didn't think so. I'm sure all the girls here at ville feel the same way. OOOHHH I'd love to go and picket those judges. Congrats on the ribbons you did win, and to your sister. Next year you'll get them.

I am fairly new to thread crochet. When I look at the 1st and 2nd place entries, I'm pretty sure I'd be able to do both of them with a some extra effort.

Yours, on the other hand, is DIFFICULT! I've been admiring and drooling over it for the past month. I KNOW I have neither the patience nor the dexterity to complete that doily. There's such a variety of stitches; plus it's so intricate! IMHO, you deserved the 1st place ribbon. :nworthy

Hats off to you for a wonderful job! :flower :flower You know you do good work, and WE know you do good work!

OK, I've never even MADE a doily before, but yours with the 3D stuff is definitely more difficult-looking, even to a doily novice like me. The only thing I can think of is that the judges are into the "less is better" mindset - the simpler it is, the better?!?!?! But, if you're being judged, simple isn't what should be rewarded, difficulty, execution and novelty should be, in my mind.. Yours was TOTALLY cool.

I think you won first place here, in Crochetville! Those judges probably weren't really qualified to judge a crocheted piece of art, and don't know what goes into making a doily into a showpiece. In your heart, you know you done good! I think you did better too....... So here's to your doily in C'Ville! :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer

Okay, okay...so there were GLARING mistakes in my runner--but it was well crocheted even if it wasn't necessarily first place material--sheesh! It was BIG, however...perhaps it was because it was BIG...you know, "bigger is better"...:shrug

The judge was a 90-year old knitter who only remembers only old-fashioned doilies from 1920...and she's blind as a bat and can't see quality and originality, not to mention cool purple colors. :eek

Now, you may be wondering, my dad said something about 1st place. Was he wrong? No, first place went to my sister's table runner, which had two known mistakes in it! I do not deny my sister is a superlative crocheter, but we both joked that this table runner had no real chance of placing because of those mistakes. For it to have taken first leaves me :think and contributes to my questioning of the judge's decisions.

~ Lori

I have seen that doily (Tala, not yours specificially) in person, and it is just so awe inspiring. I can't imagine what criteria the judges could possibly have been using...

I know you must be terribly disappointed. :hug Your work is beautiful, and deserves much higher recognition than it got. I'm sure there will be many a fairgoer scratching their heads over this, too.

Lori, I have to say, though, that I find it truly hilarious that you have red arrows pointing to the two mistakes in your sister's table runner! :lol It's just too funny :U

We tease each other constantly about such things. Think of us as the Miser Brothers from A Year Without a Santa Claus :lol!

Now as for which of the brothers we are, I claim Heat Miser 'cause I like it hot.:sun!

Wow, seriously? I don't get the judging, either. The other two are lovely, but next to yours, well, yours really is in a different class altogether. I'm sorry about the disappointing results, but I hope you know that you really did high quality work, and I'm sorry others weren't able to see that! :hug

Oh my, I am so sorry Lori, your doily was clearly the better of all of them. I am appalled at the judges decision, clearly they have no sense.

I have tossed it in my head numerous times whether I should enter something in our fair in Oct, but I think I have just decided it isn't worth it. I would rather get kudo's from all the wonderful people here at the 'Ville!

{{{{LORI}}}}

I have tossed it in my head numerous times whether I should enter something in our fair in Oct, but I think I have just decided it isn't worth it. I would rather get kudo's from all the wonderful people here at the 'Ville!

After a night's sleep on this, I have to agree that being praised by my fellow C'Villains* carries much more weight as I know that all of you know what goes into making a doily like Tala. I can't say that about the judge. (What I can say about the judge would have too many ?!@%^ marks!)

I feel better knowing that all of you have seen the discrepency in the judge's decision, that I am not suffering from sore loser syndrome. OK, I do have a little soreness, but everyone's kind words and sympathy is rubbing away that soreness. I am feeling the :manyheart and :hug!

~ Lori

*Yep, a person who lives in a village is really a villain.

I can only conclude that the "judges" have some deep seated issues with the color purple! Yours is stunning! Maybe they thought it was too wild what with that beautiful coloring & intricat stiching.You get the blue ribbon in my book!

Archived