Fair Ribbon Results: Not What I Expected

The Shrone

Honestly looking at them all side by side I think yours is more intracate than the others. Their's seem so simple next to yours. Not to take away from any of the artists, because I couldn't do any of it, but I agree, I think your gut feeling is right.

Your doily is so beautiful and well-done the judges don't know what real crocheting involves evidently. Don't be too disappointed at least your sis won a 1st place you gotta be proud of her

Darlene

I love looking at your work!!!

Looking at the other doilies, it is obvious that the criteria were based on a frame of reference focussed on the known, the traditional, the expected, and judged according to a comfort zone delineated by the judges own personal experience. From what I have seen of results of other fairs, this is typical.

If you had an exhibition at a local gallery which encourages ART, I've a hunch you'd find a "better" frame of reference in the responses to your work.

Also sent you a PM.

There's my two cents worth. Hope it helps.

I am so sorry that you didn't receive the ribbons that you expected. I must say your doilies are absolutely beautiful. I personally think that a large Purple Champion ribbon would have been more suited for a master piece like Tala. :manyheart

Lori - I know why you didn't receive a Blue Ribbon on your doily. The judges were BLIND - THEY WERE BLIND I TELL YA! OMG how could they not give you the blue ribbon. That's why I don't enter fairs any more either - they don't know what they are doing.

I used to enter cross stitch pieces. I made Arabian Horses on a blanket with two dogs in the corner - solid stitching - probably thousands of little x's. Framed in a $400 frame and mat. I won a second place. Later that month - I entered another show that I knew had one of the same judges from the fair. That show I got first place and best of show. The judge told me that I just missed getting best of show at the fair. It came down to my piece and a sampler. You know what she said to me - "a sampler always will win best of show over anything else, no matter how good it is." They looked at both pieces with magnifying glasses, etc and couldn't find anything wrong with either one, so they just gave it to the sampler. Judging is not fair at fairs.

Lori - your doily is just beautiful and I agree you got robbed! :manyheart

The judge was a 90-year old knitter who only remembers only old-fashioned doilies from 1920...and she's blind as a bat and can't see quality and originality, not to mention cool purple colors.

I agree that your doily should have placed before the 1st & 2nd place winner. Some times judges let their personal preferences cloud their judgments. :rose You're a winner in my book!

lori, i am very sorry that you did not get the rewards you so deserve for your beautiful creations. clearly this is a case of blindness of a bat with cataracts. i mean please come on judges. when i go to the fair i am going to take a picket sign and picket the judging :lol :lol :lol just kidding but i should, after all thats what they need is a kick in the rear.:hug :hug hon, please take care and know we appreciate your fantastic work:manyheart :manyheart

On the day I saw the judge's results for my doily, I bent the ear of the attendant on duty and then called the Superintendent of Home Arts to discuss with her the judge's decision. She (the Superintendent) called me back this morning and said she reviewed my judge's score card.

Apparently, because my doily lacked in the presentation (she assumed it wasn't blocked) I lost points. But more importantly, the judge wrote a comment that my doily lacked functionality!

I told the Superintendent that "functionality" is not listed in the rule book as a criteria to be judged upon, that if it is a critieria than it should be listed in the rule book as such. The Superintendent said that there is no possible way that every criteria could be printed in the rule book, that it would be too difficult because there are hundreds of departments and the additional set of criteria would fill up an entire booklet!

I addressed the fact that first place went to my sister's table runner with obvious mistakes, the Super tried to discredit this by saying that my doily wasn't in that category. I said but it sends a message that contestants can enter less than perfect, inferior work and still win a blue ribbon--and that it lessens the competition. She changed the subject on me.

Hmmm...I've made the Tala doily before and sent it to a swap partner. I better tell her it isn't functional and she should immediately remove it from wherever she placed it! :lol

The Super said that after I pick up my doily I can contact her and that the judge will contact me--and discuss with me why my doily was "honorable mention". I will follow through on this, mostly to be a thorn in their side. I go by the philosophy if I can't be a good example then at least I can be a horrible warning.

And definitely, I won't be entering my work again at this fair :P~

~ Lori

Your 2nd place doily was way more intricate than even the first place doily. The first place doily was well done, but such a simple pattern to win first place seems a little strange to me. And your honorable mention was way more creative than any of the other contributors. I am sorry you were disappointed and your work is exquisite, even if they judges didn't recognize it.

Oh my gosh, the plot thickens...

Functionality??? 'Scuse me, but what is the "FUNCTION" of a doily? Maybe I live on another planet, but I thought doilies were for pretty-ing something up - I am so sorry, but FUNCTIONALITY? That is lame, pure and simple.

What makes the first/second place doilies functional?

Are we sure that some sort of nepotism isn't involved, whether it's relative or friendships...this is unreal.

I was sorry before, but now this burns my hide. Be a thorn in their side...I am behind you 100%!!!

you go girl, i agree, these people have the stupidist ideas, thats why i don't enter there anymore also, i remember last year in the afghan section, there was a awesome hand designed memorial to the people of the armed forces, and a tribute to the victims of 9-11, it didn't even get a honorable mention. and the afghan that won, while nice no where in any way was close enough to warrent not only first place but grand prize. these judges lori, remind me of the old time preejiduced people. i would bring this up to them over and over, oh and by the way

when i go this weekend, believe me i will make it known how nice yours is and how simple and plain the other ones are and how unfair you did not recieve any better than honorable mention. bunch of old fuddy duddys there, i would not let them touch let alone enter something in their fair again if i were you. i really wonder what the true reason was. umm maybe the judge was blinder than a bat with cataracts? you get a grand prize as far as i am concerned. :hug :hug

I know next to nothing about how these kinds of fairs organize their competitions. What *are* the criteria they use? And how do they pick their judges?

To some extent, I suppose, the decisions are subjective because this stuff's art, but I agree with the other posters that your work far surpasses the other entries.

thanks for any info -- tbird

I am sorry but yours is just beautiful and I would question the judge also. You can see how much more time was spent doing yours. And it takes so much talent to make one like yours. Somebody made a big mistake. The others are pretty also but are not in the same league.

I honestly don't get the concept that a doily is practical. I always thought of them as a pretty. Me being the practical person I am, I didn't ever think I would use a doily not to mention make them myself.

Now I think doilies are VERY practical. They encourage me to keep my clutter down and my house cleaner so I can display my doilies. I want beautiful doilies to display. I'd take the Tala over the others it's absolutely display worthy!

ribbons-thumb.jpg

Someone here at the Ville was thoughtful and kind and send me these ribbons for the "honorable mention" Tala doily. I have no idea who you are, but you lifted my spirits, made me feel :manyheart, and I'm going to display these ribbons with the doily forever more!

Sending you a :hug!

~ Lori

ribbons-thumb.jpg

Looking at the pictures, I'd definitely say you were robbed! :eek All I can think of is maybe the winners were friends, or say, relatives of the judges?? I smell nepotism in there somewhere, and it stinks.

I'm sorry yours didn't place better, but you can take comfort in knowing that most of the people here who know a little of what they are talking about and know the skill level think yours is the best!

Archived