Kitty Cuddles (Felted Cat Bed Pattern)

Inspired by the knit kittypi beds, I made one a while ago which was just a circle with straight sides. It ended up being rather floppy on the sides, so I came up with this modified version which stands up nicely on its own and cups very slightly on the top rim to make it more snugly for kitty.

th_kittypitop.jpgpost-2549-135897403941_thumb.jpg (click pictures for larger view)

Size before felting: 23" diameter, 6" high

Size after felting: 15" diameter, 4" high

2 balls Cascade 220 (440 yards) of each color

I used #7808 (purple) and #9470 (pink) and had some left over

K hook

Don't turn at the end of rounds (except for the very last round).

To join rounds: Sl st in first stitch of round, ch 1 and begin new round in same stitch as joining.

To change colors: In the last hdc of round before color change, yo, insert hook in stitch, yo and pull through, yo with new color and complete stitch and join round. For sc rounds, insert hook in last st of round, yo and pull through, yo with new color and complete stitch and join round.

To make front post single crochet (fpsc): Insert hook from front to back and around post of sc in previous row and complete stitch.

With pink, make adjustable ring or ch3 and join to make ring.

1. Make 10 hdcs in ring. Join. (10)

2. 2 hdcs in each st around. Join. (20)

3. 2 hdcs in first st, 1 hdc in next st. Repeat around. Join (30)

4. 2 hdcs in first st, 1 hdc in each of next 2 stitches. Repeat around. Join (40)

5. 2 hdcs in first st, 1 hdc in each of next 3 stitches. Repeat around. Join (50)

Change to purple

6. 2 hdcs in first st, 1 hdc in each of next 4 stitches. Repeat around. Join (60)

7. 2 hdcs in first st, 1 hdc in each of next 5 stitches. Repeat around. Join (70)

8. 1 hdc in each stitch around. Join (70)

9. 2 hdcs in first st, 1 hdc in each of next 6 stitches. Repeat around. Join (80)

Change to pink

10. 2 hdcs in first st, 1 hdc in each of next 7 stitches. Repeat around. Join (90)

11. 2 hdcs in first st, 1 hdc in each of next 8 stitches. Repeat around. Join (100)

12. 2 hdcs in first st, 1 hdc in each of next 9 stitches. Repeat around. Join (110)

13. 1 hdc in each stitch around. Join (110)

Change to purple

14. 2 hdcs in first st, 1 hdc in each of next 10 stitches. Repeat around. Join (120)

15. 2 hdcs in first st, 1 hdc in each of next 11 stitches. Repeat around. Join (130)

16. 2 hdcs in first st, 1 hdc in each of next 12 stitches. Repeat around. Join (140)

17. 1 hdc in each stitch around. Join (140)

Change to pink

18. 2 hdcs in first st, 1 hdc in each of next 13 stitches. Repeat around. Join (150)

19. 2 hdcs in first st, 1 hdc in each of next 14 stitches. Repeat around. Join (160)

20. 2 hdcs in first st, 1 hdc in each of next 15 stitches. Repeat around. Join (170)

21. 1 hdc in each stitch around. Join (170)

Change to purple

22. 2 hdcs in first st, 1 hdc in each of next 16 stitches. Repeat around. Join (180)

23. 2 hdcs in first st, 1 hdc in each of next 17 stitches. Repeat around. Join (190)

24. 2 hdcs in first st, 1 hdc in each of next 18 stitches. Repeat around. Join (200)

25. 1 hdc in each stitch around. Join (200)

Change to pink

26. 2 hdcs in first st, 1 hdc in each of next 19 stitches. Repeat around. Join (210)

27. 2 hdcs in first st, 1 hdc in each of next 20 stitches. Repeat around. Join (220)

28. 2 hdcs in first st, 1 hdc in each of next 21 stitches. Repeat around. Join (230)

29. 1 hdc in each stitch around. Join (230)

Change to purple

30. 1 sc in each stitch around. Join (230)

31. 1 fpsc in each sc around. Join (230)

32-35. 1 sc in each stitch around. Join (230)

Change to pink

36-40. 1 sc in each stitch around. Join (230)

Change to purple

41-45. 1 sc in each stitch around. Join (230)

Change to pink

46-50. 1 sc in each stitch around. Join (230)

Change to purple

51-55. 1 sc in each stitch around. Join (230)

56. Turn. Sl st in each stitch around. Join (230)

Mine shrunk sufficiently after one wash cycle. I blocked it using a round fan shield. You can use a big pot with towels stuffed around it or whatever creative solution you come up with to hold its shape while drying. Have fun and don't forget to post pictures if you make one!:photo

Here it is before felting:

th_kpib4.jpgpost-2549-135897403948_thumb.jpg

post-2549-135897403946_thumb.jpg

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made one of the knit kitty beds, and you're right it is floppy. The sides don't stand up at all. The cat sleeps on it anyhow - so does the dog. Your pattern looks way better. I love how the sides stand straight up with no floppiness. I might have to make one.

OMG how cute! I just saved three kittens from my dog in the backyard the other day. I have never had cats before so I'm really into making them toys and beds and blankets and whatever else I can find. Thank again!

I've made one of the knitted kitty pis, too. Don't have a cat any more, but what a good idea. I never thought to try to convert it to Crochet...:hook

Tina

You must have been reading my mind! I went online this morning to see if I could find a pattern for a kitty bed as we adopted a cat from our local shelter a few weeks ago. I didn't want to spend the money at a store if I could make one , and when I went to crochetville to see if anyone might know where I could get a pattern , your posting was the first one I saw. It's perfect and I will get started today. I will try to see if I can get my son to post a picture of my finished project as he has a digital camera.

Wendyb532

Wow, that is good timing!:lol I don't have a digital camera anymore either, so when I get my pictures developed I get a picture CD with it so I can email and post the pictures. One of these days I'll get around to buying a new digital.

This bed was made for my mom's new kitty. The one I made for my cats was used mostly by my chubby boy cat who never quite figured out how to lay in it and would lay on it instead. The girl cat tried it once and then decided it would make a lovely litter box and peed in it. Nothing really gets that smell out effectively, so they don't have one now. Hopefully my mom's cat has better manners and enjoys her new bed.

I love that!! The colors are awesome....unfortunately MY CAT insists on sleeping on top of the TV! She is already 5 years old, so she isn't about to change her habits now, but I bet if you started kittens out in it they would love it!

I love that!! The colors are awesome....unfortunately MY CAT insists on sleeping on top of the TV! She is already 5 years old, so she isn't about to change her habits now, but I bet if you started kittens out in it they would love it!

You could make a narrower version and put it on top of the TV:lol.

My cat took to the first one and loved it (until the other cat peed in it), but this one was made for my mom's cat who had to be coaxed in with catnip. I think some cats prefer to feel cuddled and swaddled and others like to be in the open, ready to pounce.

What kind of yarn can we subsitute for the Cascade? I am guessing any wool yarn, but what weight?

How many times did you have to wash it to get it felt it enough to make its side stiff?

Cascade is WW, so any worsted weight wool will work. I only had to wash it once and I let it go through the spin cycle. I usually don't do that because I'm afraid it will get contorted, but I decided to do something "real quick" and you know how that goes. By the time I got back, it was spinning, so I just let it go. It came out practically dry, so it didn't need to block for too long. The first one I made was done with Paton's Merino and a little bit of Lana and I think I had to put that through two cycles to get it to shrink enough, so if you use a different yarn, you might need to spend more time or less time hanging out by the washing machine.:lol

I think what makes it stiff on the sides is a combination of that part being done in sc and the fpscs done at the base of the sides. For my first one, I did the first round of the sides in the front loop of the base, but the fpscs on this one made a huge difference. The sides almost wanted to stand up on their own before felting.

Oh, that's so adorable! I've been thinking about knitting a Kitty Pi but I'd rather crochet it since it will go faster.

This makes me so tempted to break my promise not to buy more yarn for a month or so and pick up some Peruvian Highland wool from elann. On the other hand, my new kitties are unlikely to want it in the next few months anyway. (Even though I have AC, I obviously don't leave it turned up high enough for someone dressed in a fur coat: right now they prefer to sleep sprawled out on flat cool surfaces like the fireplace hearth, not snuggled up in something wool.)

But elann could well be sold out of the color I want by then...

Archived