What is(are) your favorite gender-neutral color(s) for baby clothing?

I'm about to make a baby sweater (Baby It's Cold Outside from Crochetme.com) and I'm just looking for ideas and others' thoughts. What do you think looks nice on a baby of either sex? Sometimes I think pastel yellow or green just doesn't look that great, even though they're popular gift colors when you don't know the baby's sex. I'd like to branch out a little!

I personally like the off white and white for a gender friendly baby gift.....especially when you don't know in advance what it is going to be.

Red Heart has one that I love to use its called Laddie Print, and its a varigated, blue, yellow, white, green. Seems to be very popular with expectant mothers, I've made quite a few sets requested with this.

Hi Rosie,

That's the pattern I used as my starting point for a sweater I crocheted for a friends baby. It was a girl, so there was no question what color to use. And it worked up really fast. Here are some pics.

th_fac72db8.jpg

th_DSC00186.jpg

As for gender neutral - I like mint green. I recently knit a sweater in mint green, I told the gift giver that I could include a set of white ribbons - just in case it wasn't a girl!

th_Knitting-2.jpg

Pat

I like using varagated if the pattern will look good in it (I use a white/blue/pink/yellow varagated for hats I donate). Otherwise... I'd have to say a nice shade of green.

Other than the classic white, any soft pastels that's not the typical gender colors, pink or blue. Green, yellow, purple, maybe even a peachy/orange.

I like bright colors for babies, especially when I dont' know the gender. My daughter is expecting in Sept., so I made an olive green sweater with dark purple trim, a hooded sweater out of the blue/variegated Jelly Beans yarn, a ball out of red/varriegated Sugar n Cream, and a blanket from NY Yarns Parfait in 3 different colorways: purple/pink, blue/yellow, and pink/yellow.

My sister is making booties in red and white; she's also a quilter and made a quilt that's the story of Peter Rabbit on one side, and dark green on the back. I made a hat of orange and purple. I also made a couple of hats from Microspun yellow, orange and lime green.

Babies need color! I really prefer them to pastels.

Carol, I love some of those color combinations! Olive green and dark purple! Yellow/orange/green! They sound beautiful! Thanks for the hints...I too prefer brights over pastels.

Yelutci, I like your ideas too.

• 5 months later...
Medium or soft grey.

A cool or medium brown, caramel like.

A dark cranberry or burgandy red.

Hunter green.

Deep, grape purple.

Cadet, navy, midnight blue.

You can always add either girly or boy embellishments if you need to.

As a mom of many, I *love* these color choices. Not sure about the purple (my dh prolly wouldn't let a boy wear it :)) but this list is on the right track. Personally, anything with purple or peach isn't going to be put on a boy. Girls can wear just about anything, but we're picky with our boys. I also don't like white for baby things--if the baby ends up being a major spitter-upper, it gets discolored very easily (and bibs don't often catch everything!)

just some thoughts....I personally like a brighter yellow--not necessarily crayon-yellow, but not that pale stuff, either.

Archived