Newbie Crochet along?

yarnart

I ended up making different sized squares and am now joining them...but my daughter had my digital camera, and it got stolen so no pics...good luck ankey on your project

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone!

I'm going _very_ slowly - but enjoying the journey :bounce I have two squares done - the second one looks a little wonky - I think I have an extra stitch in there somewhere - It also could be because I was enjoying a nice glass of Laphroig Scotch whilst finishing it...... I'm glad I chose to do the lacey one though.

Oh darn - I can't remember how to put my pics in. I'll submit this and then edit it when I've reminded myself... :thinking

Ok - Now I'm back - here it is with a link behind to my projects pics:

1CALAug06

Phew - it worked - now I'm going to spend the rest of Sunday evening with dinner, my sweetie and some more squares.

Bye for now :waving

lol sounds like it was a good thing that the Ville went down for a while...people actually got work done!:lol

Good luck with the joining Anky!:) I can't wait to see everyone's finished project!

I love the way your square looks Seaburke I think I might have another go at the lacy one aswell:)

"It also could be because I was enjoying a nice glass of Laphroig Scotch whilst finishing it" :lol yeah that could be a problem:P

Ok, my progress...I actually decided on only using 8 squares for my bag, I didn't want it too big, I'm going to make a wallet to match with the extras, lol! I have all 8 joined and have crocheted and attached a golden snitch for the Gryffindor side of my bag. I am working on adding the handle and a snake on the Slytherin side! I should be finished today sometime! I am super excited, I want to post a pic so badly but I want to wait till it's finished, tee hee hee!

Oh and I thought I was going to lose my mind with the Ville down and out yesterday! Anyone else? Hahahaha!

:hook

Ok, I'm sorry I didn't use as many grannies as what everyone else did but please know that this CAL really helped me! I learned to make grannies first and foremost but I also actually finished a project! :lol Ok, with that said here it is...this is the Gryffindor Side...

Gryffindor.jpg

And here is the Slytherin side! Don't laugh at my crazy looking snake, I couldn't find a pattern so I simply winged it!

Syltherin.jpg

I'm actually surprised that this turned out so well, I'm proud of myself! Thanks so much for helping me out girls, this was really fun!

:hook

:)hi everyone. I'm alittle lost here at this site, lol. I signed up for the CAL for hat a week, well, I'm not sure if it's still going on or not. Can someone help me out? Sofar I've made up week one and two...and I'm about ready to start week three. Is there anyone else working on these currently? And do I share what I have made anyway? Also, how do I go about that?

Mandilyn

yay it looks awesome Jeannie!:clap:manyheart and you didn't even need a pattern for it! did you put any lining inside? I'm busy knitting a bag and I'm using the cable knitting for the first time and I've never sewn any lining in so it's double scary for me hehe:) Great job on the Harry Potter bag and you have every right to be proud of yourself!:hook

Petra,

No I didn't add a lining on the inside. I thought about it but I'm kinda nervous about it, I have no clue how to do something like that! I guess I'll never learn if I don't try right? It would be nice to have a lining since I wouldn't really be able to carry anything small in it due to the holes! :lol

Good Luck on your new bag, I love checking out your blog and seeing your new creations! Oh and I LOVE the SnB Book! I can't wait to try some of the patterns! THANKS :hug

Madilyn,

You should definitely share your completed hats!! I would bet that the hat-a-month CAL is still going on, but it started quite a while ago, if you take a look at the post date (upper left corner), so most of the people are onto other hats by now. I haven't looked at it lately, but I bet in later posts there are other hat patterns to do for other months??

wow, I had to go to the second page of the crochet-alongs section to find this thread to post in it... where have all my fellow newbie crochet-along people gone? anyways, I finally finished joining together my squares! I kept on changing the design of my blanket around and decided to make 9 8" squares into a 24" x 24" blanket - the perfect size for a preemie blanket for my local project linus. Here's a picture of it:

crochet005.jpg

I joined the squares together using the "invisible weave" that is mostly used by knitters to join garments - it was the easiest joining method for me to understand but I still don't think I did it correctly. It still looks ok right?

I left some loose ends because I'm trying to decide if I should add a border. I might just add a simple one using the pink baby yarn I used to join the squares, probably double stranded since the variegated yarn is worsted weight. What do you all think? Should I add a border?

I don't think it's too late - I'm still working on mine - as I said a while before I'm slower than the others who have probably moved on.

I'm using the originally suggested lacy square pattern and just got a fancy new hook which is making it easier - my other hook is bamboo and was sticking to the yarn I am using.

Hope you decide to join up - to keep the rest of us slowies company :lol

Cheerio - Catherine

Ankey, your blanket looks wonderful! Great job! Honestly, I don't think I would add a border, I think it looks great the way it is! It's up to you though, let us know what you decide! Wehn you have completed it, you should post it under the show and tell section for everyone to marvel at, lol!

Hugs,

:hug

Hey guys , I have posted a pic of the blanket I made for my grandie in the thread crochet show and tell section , http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33070.I wasnt officially in the cal to start off with , as I didnt really know what I was doing , but now I do , so I hope to join in more properly tho , ;) .I have started on another but different , for my other grandie , for her birthday . Great stash busters , lol.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I'm a newbie too!!

I am making my first afghan and it is from 24 granny's so I will join and this will be my project. I still have 13 to make and 2 to complete and then I can join them all together!!!

Hopefully this is okay. If I can't do this let me know.

Good luck to everybody!!!

Okay I have made 10 granny's and I have 2 almost finished!!!

I plan to join them together into blocks of 6 with one row of dc around the edge of each. I will then join them together and put 4 rows of black around the edge followed by 1 row of shells.

I think it will turn out really well!!!

Sennight, your granny afghan sounds like it'll turn out really great! :hook You're making good progress as well. What colors are you using for your squares? I'd love to see pictures of your current finished granny squares and you should definitely post pictures of your finished project!

I'm going to hopefully post pictures tomorrow because I got a camera today to start taking photos.

One block I have joined and it is maroon, camel, and yellow. I have 2 dark green squares made, 1 red complete and 1 half complete, 1 verigated(purple yellow,pink,green, blue) and 1 light pink half done one. I want to make one block white, red and verigated, another light blue, dark blue and verigated(purple, pink, blue) and the other dark green with 2 other colours I haven't decided on yet.

It's coming along really nicely and will be my first afghan ever!!!!!(except for a baby one I made on the weekend)

I have finally got photos up of where I am up to with my afghan!!!! I have posted the photos on my blog as they are way to large to post here.

I am only using my blog to post photos I want people here at Crochetville to see beacuse I only have access to a computer at work and whenever I get a spare chance I am here being all googley-eyed over everyone's amazingly inspirational work.:cheer :cheer :clap :clap : :yay :yay :manyheart:hook:yarn:yes As much as I would love to be able to keep it updated I just can't so don't expect lots of posts to be there. This is my second post only!!

Hope you all like it. My verigated one turned out smaller than all the rest but I'm not sure if I should add another row to it or leave it and hope it stretches to the rest okay? What do you think I should do???:think

Personally, I wouldn't use the varigated one.

firstly, you need the stitches to match and they won't if you add another row.

Secondly, the varigated will distract you from the other blocks. Your block is your motif - so to speak and if you add the varigated yarn square, you change the focus .

Archived