Newbie Crochet along?

yarnart

Sorry, didn't mean for you or anyone else to feel bad about your own squares, I was just trying to show what I've done...

As for tips, all I can say is count! If you have a granny square that looks great to you, remember how many stitches are on a side per row and after making one side of one row, go back and count to make sure you didn't miss a stitch. This way you only have to undo a little bit if you've found that you've messed up. Also, it helped me a lot when I first started to have a large picture of a completed granny square in the same pattern as the one you are making so you can easily see which stitches go where while you are crocheting. Hopefully that all made sense and helps you... Keep us updated on how you're doing!

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cut yourself some slack. Trust me, at some point, your hook will almost become a part of your hand, and glide through the stitches. It JUST happened to me recently.

You are trying to crochet with little ones around, and so it may take you a little longer....that's okay. This isn't a speed race.

I am assuming it is difficult for you to take pictures of your work? It may be the pattern language that is giving you a problem. It may be visualizing working from the inside of the square, out. You will get it though.

Ankey, NO, you didn't make me feel bad hun! Oh no, I didn't mean it to sound like that, sorry! I am so happy that you got the hang of it, woo hoo! :cheer You should be proud of your squares, there awesome!

I just thought someone may have some tips for me to help me along...my squares look bad when I do the dc in the spaces, like the yarn coming around is all different sizes! Does that make sense? If you look closely at the last picture I posted you can see it! UGH! I try to make it tighter and it rolls in but when I loosen up it looks bad too! LOL! I guess your right, I'll get it eventually! Don't worry, I'm no quitter, LOL!

Everyones squares are looking great!:manyheart I'm thinking of making mine into a cat blanket do you think that'll work?:think

Jeanie, I used to make my stitches too tight aswell, but somehow I found a comfortable way to hold the yarn and the hook so now my stitches are even. I suppose it just takes some time to find your own comfortable way and I'm sure you will soon so don't give up yet you'll get there!:hug

Well I'm not a newbie, but I'm certainly no expert crocheter, but i have to say you girls' squares are looking great for beginners!!! I only wished when I first started out mine looked as neat at nice as y'alls because i'd have been on cloud 9!! I'm self taught and I still get frustrated doing some patterns! As a matter of fact, i'm working on my first afghan now and I've been doing crochet for about 4 years now! Its took me that long to even attempt one!

So hang in there! It will come to you and the little 'light bulb' will pop on!!

Krystal

Ok, been working hard and it's paying off! I think I got my groove! WOO HOO! I only did 5 rounds, I think that's plenty big enough for me. My 5 rounds are measuring about 6 inches...is that ok? Whatcha think? I'm doing Harry Potter colors, hahaha, not sure what I'm making though...what is everyone else making with their squares?

HPColors.jpg

Hey Ladies -

I've finished my first square - well it was early last week - I decided to continue on with the lacey granny square pattern that was first suggested. It took me a while to get my head around the pattern - I think in my next project I'm going to try to use one of those patterns which are a collection of symbols instead of words and abreviations - at one point in the pattern the author says sk stitch - for the _life_ of me I could not figure out what sk meant - riffled through all of my books and found one which gave me instructions to do a "solomons knot" ----no that's not it - back to the photos of and _DUHhhhhhhh_ Skip a stitch! LOL - Once I got the rythm into my head the pattern was pretty easy. So - end of long story - I'm going to continue on with the lacey square - it is pretty - and I'll post a piccy when I empty my camera. My other goal this weekend is to get my blog up to date and put in the button for this CAL - this is fun! - Sorry for all the blither - It's Sunday morning and I'm avoiding the housecleaning that I have to do before the fun I am anticipating. Good work everyone else - I like seeing what you all are doing.

Cheerio - Catherine

Jeanie, they look great! By Jove, I think you've got it!! :D

5 rounds is fine, and if it measures 6", that's great too. If I remember, you said you were using a larger hook. I started using an "H" for mine, and I need less rows to get the 6".

I got in on the weekend CAL, so I've been pumpin them out. Well, on a newbie scale anyway. Got 21 done total.

Kittyandcrocheting016.jpg

Great idea! Where can you find those patterns? I do pretty well with the word patterns, but after a while, I swear it looks like I'm trying to read chinese! :lol

WOW you've got 21 done?!? I thought I was going fast but that's just:eek I've got 10 done so far and I'm only going to 20 because that's all I need for the cat blanket:) I'm going to felt it after I've joined all the squares aswell I think it'll be better as a cat blanket when the stitches aren't there asmuch to get caught on their claws:yes I'll post a pic of my squares later on:)

I am not sure what I'm going to do. My youngest daughter decided she really liked the Orange and she wants it with Pink. The Pink I had planned on putting with the purple for my unborn grand daughter. I do not know how to "join" the squares yet, but I was thinking I'd like to border them, then border the finished pieces. It looks like I'll be making a run to Wally world or somewhere for more yarn though!

Hi everyone, I am a little new to the Crochetville and love it already.

I would like to get in on the crochet along. I love this pattern. I made one about 2 years ago and it turned out very pretty. Mine will be done in dark plum and sage green. That is the colors of my living room. Will post pictures when I get more done. Again thanks alot for this. I love crochet alongs.

Have a blessed day,

crochetmimi

Hi crochetmimi! Welcome! This is a super fun crochet along! This is my first time doing grannies and it has really helped me to be part of the group, I've learned alot! Great motivation for me too! Glad you jumped on board, can't wait to see your squares!

Hugs :hug

I'm so happy with the response to this thread! I'm anxious to see your work, crochetmimi...everyone here is great, so just let us know how you're doing.

How are everyones squares coming along? I'm finishing up my last square and then later I'll be joining them all together finally:clap I'm still thinking about felting it all but I'll have to find some help with that first because I've never felted a thing in my life :lol:blush

Well sounds like everyone is doing well. I found several ways to join the squares on Cabana, under their tutorials. One, the slip stitch method seems super easy.

My squares are going into different projects, and I have to wait for more yarn to finish any one of them..:lol

well I don't know how I'm going to join mine yet but there is a tutorial in my SnB:HH book so I'll be trying that:) I've also seen some methods on this site maybe that helps a little?:)

I'm trying the crochet cabana techniques to see which one is the easiest and looks the best with my squares using 2 scrap test squares. I haven't decided which technique I'm going to use though.

Well I've joined all my squares but it looks all bent:think I did them all the same size so I don't understand why:( do you think it will be fixed if I try to block it? or felt it? I was going to felt it anyway and it can't possibly look worse then it does now lol:blush my camera batteries are low though so I have to recharge them first and I'll post a pic tomorrow so you can all see "it" :sigh I hope it'll end up looking better:think

Petra, maybe you just joined some of them a little tighter than the rest? I don't know any thing about felting, except it makes things shrink...but I am not sure you can fix anything after it is felted. You may want to ask someone more experienced, but in the end, do what you think is right. Let me know

Archived