Newbie Crochet along?

yarnart

Well I think I joined them all with the same kind of thightness that doesn't seem to be the problem it's just that mostly the mutli coloured squares I've made are bigger then the other ones..:sigh well I'll ask on the "help" thread and then see what they say:)

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Petra, :eek let us know if you get it figured out! How did you join your squares?

I think I will only be making 12 squares instead of 25, I hope that's ok. I've decided to attempt a handbag with the squares! I couldn't find a pattern so I'll be winging it, lol. I think I'm using the slip stitch method of joining, I was going to do the lacy one from crochet cabana but I think it's too girlie for a Harry Potter handbagm lol.

How is everyone else doing?

:manyheart

Well here is my blanket...I washed it but I rememberd that I used 100% acrylic :sigh so it didn't felt and now it's all wonky still...ohwell at least it smells nice now:think

dscf2241ce6.th.jpg

Is it as bad as I'm thinking it is?:blush

Aww thanks guys! :hug:manyheart yeah that's a good idea I'm thinking of putting a sc edge around it and hopefully it will straighten it out a little:hook there might be hope afterall:yay lol Thank you for the idea HazleCreek:D

Petra...I think that looks fantastic, and especially since it's your first crochet project. Lucky Kitty. I know he'll love it and he won't care if you think it looks "wonky" :lol

Good job!!! :cheer :cheer :clap

Thank you Veronica!:hug it's actually my 3rd project but who's counting:P I'm deffinatly going to put the border on though...I guess I'm just a perfectionist...even though it's for the cats I still want it to be "purrfect":lol

dscf2250ak9.th.jpg

Look one of the cats already likes it hehe:)

I finished the border last night and it does look better, but still a bit bent. I was thinking...maybe I should add a second border...or maybe I'm just being a perfectionist and I should consider this blanket done and know I'll do better next time?:think

dscf2252uo7.th.jpg

cute kitty! the blanket does look better with that border... if you still want to spend time on it, I think it would look better with a thicker border but it's up to you if you want to move on to another project.

Thank you ankey:D what stitch would you use for a thicker border? I just used a treble (dc in US terms):)

and to VAPeaches..I don't think there is a real time limit to you can always join:D you'll just have to read back a little through the thread and you'll see that the main goal is to make 25 granny squares of 6" and there are also several links to patterns that you can use.

It looks really good with the boarder. I agree, thought, if you want to spend time on it then go ahead and add another border, but if I was you I would just move on to your next project and call that one finished. Anyway you cat doesn't seem to mind one way or another.:lol (what a cutie cat!)

BTW was all your yarn the same brand and size?:think When you use different brands you tend to get different twist in the yarn making some tighter and some looser. I've even seen it in the same brands.

BTW was all your yarn the same brand and size?:think When you use different brands you tend to get different twist in the yarn making some tighter and some looser. I've even seen it in the same brands.

well the pink and the brown were from the same brand and the same size but the grey was a different brand but the same size...that might have been one of the problems aswell:)

I'll see if I'm going to add another border I'm not sure yet...it's a cat blanket and I'm sure they don't really care weather it's wonky or not:think I mean they even lay or plastic carrier bags :lol

Petra,

I think your blanket looks great with the border! I am a perfectionist too...don't you just hate that?!? LOL, I find myself doing things over and over again until "I" think it's perfect, LOL!

Well, I managed to finish my Gryffindor colors and am now on to my Slytherin colors, only 5 more to go and then I can join them! woo hoo! Wish me luck, not sure I have a clue what I am doing :lol .

lol yeah I do hate being a perfectionist :sigh but on the other hand it's a good thing because I always force myself to do the best I can with everything and I like a challenge so that way I always end up learning new things:hook

Jeanie your bag will look great! I love everything Harry Potter aswell:D you should get the Stitch N Bitch: the Happy Hooker book it also has a granny square bag pattern in it! Good luck:manyheart

Thanks for the tip Petra! I have read so many mixed reviews on this book but I haven't checked it out...I checked with my local library and they have a copy of it, so I think I'll run down and grab it. I've read it has some hip patterns in it :lol , I posted a thread in the "patterns" section looking for sites with hip, funky crochet patterns :lol . It would be great to have a pattern to follow for this bag, I'm nervous about winging it, lol.

Thanks again,

:hug

your welcome Jeannie:hook that's really kool that you have a copy of it in yoru library in our library there are only old books and no knitting or crochet things:(

Well, Petra, I lied, my library DIDN'T have it, :lol ...However I did find it at Walmart.com for $8.45, .57 tax and only .97 to ship! Making it only $9.99 total! Just thought if any newbies wanted it, that this is the cheapest place I've seen! Even Amazon is asking $10 something WITHOUT shipping! I did post it in the "sales" forum!

Oh, and I only have 3 more squares to go! Woo hoo! :hook

yay let's just hope that the book arrives fast enough so you can finish your bag!:hook I got my book for £8 (15 dollars) something at www.play.com and I thought it was cheap but if you got it for 10 dollars then I guess not:eek

I finished all my granny squares while crochetville was down today! :D I had to buy 2 more skeins of the variegated red heart yarn I was using to make the squares because the yarn originally wasn't going to be used in this project and so I have 14 squares made with one dye lot and 11 squares made with a different dye lot that has kind of a different variation of colors. :eek They don't look too bad together though so I think I'm going to start joining them together soon... Wish me luck! :lol

Archived