Newbie Crochet along?

yarnart

Veronica: your square looks very nice. Keep up the good work.

Here's a photo of the basic granny I'm doing now. I'm going to use scrap yarn, do 6 rounds for an 8 inch square. I'm going to use these in blankets for underprivileged kids in my town. I'm not sure what color yarn I'll use to connect them yet. Then I'll connect them the way my grandmother taught me to 40 years ago.

misctesteditems2006.jpg

Barb

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That looks really nice Barb. It's very nice of you to donate the finished project. When it comes time, you'll have to share your joining technique with us. Is it hard to do?

Veronica

Ok, this is my first attempt EVER at a granny square...I think I did something wrong when I did the slip stitch. Can someone please look at where I have the hook laying...I think that's where I goofed but I'm not sure what I did! UGH!

100_3133400.jpg

100_3136ee.jpg

Thanks girls! I'm gonna get it, I swear I'm gonna get it, lol :hook

OK, first of all, are you doing a basic granny square -- like the one in my previous post?

If yes, then you need to put your double crochets ONLY in the chain spaces, not in the double crochets. (I'd post a link to a bigger photo of my square, but my dd logged me out of photo bucket and I don't know the password -- teenagers!:eek )

Here's a repost of a link that IthinkIcan posted to a basic granny. Is this the one you're using?:

http://www.jpfun.com/patterns/01gran...nysquare.shtml

I'd be happy to offer more help, just let me know if any of this made sense to you. I've been crocheting for more years than I care to count and sometimes it's hard to explain what I do from sheer habit.

Barb

OK. Found the PhotoBucker password. Here goes.

Here is a photo of round 1 of a basic granny where I have started round 2 in the chain space.

granny.jpg

I've worked in the 1st ch space and I've place pins in the other 3 chain spaces.

Here's a photo of the completed round 2. There are 8 chain spaces around this round -- 1 at each corner and 1 on each side.

granny2.jpg

The number of chain spaces will increase on the sides each round.

Clear as mud? Or is the mud settling and the water clearing up for you?

If you need more help, let me know.

Barb

Hey, looks pretty good for a first one!!! I think Barb was right, you are dc'ing in the dc's. Don't get frustrated...you just have to keep working at it. I FINALLY found the 'sweet stitch' at some point early this morning..and the hook just seemed to glide along. What a feeling! Anyway, keep trying and keep us posted!

:clap

Thanks for all the help girls, I appreciate it! :hug Ok, I actually think I am doing my sl st's incorrect too....So, I am finishing up RND 1 and the last step is to Ch 2, sl st in top of ch3...ch 3? Ok, can someone show me where ch 3 is? lol, I know, I must sound incredibly dumb here but since I am teaching myself this all seems greek to me! I think that's why I ended up with a big hole on one side of my last square, I think I sl st in the wrong place.

Thanks so much

Jeannie,

Here's some photos to help you with the slip stitch.

Photo 1: the first round of a granny square. The safety pin marks the when you join with a slip stitch.

granny3001.jpg

Photo 2: the hook in the chain to start the slip stitch

granny3002.jpg

If you need more help, let me know.

Barb

Photo 3: The slip stitch completed

granny3003.jpg

Hope this helps. If you need more help, let me know.

Barb

Ok, this one is looking worse than the first, lol. Is a sp the same thing as an lp? In RND 2, when it says to dc in ch 2 lp and then to dc in ch2 sp is that the same hole? Oh god, this is getting worse not better. I'm so sorry girls. I'm not gonna throw in the towel......YET, lol.

:think:think:think:think:think:think:think:think:think:think:think:think

Jeannie,

Breathe, take a deep breathe, and say to yourself: I can do this, I am doing my best, no one is mad at me, I'm not asking too many questions. Take another deep breath.

Better now?

OK. Look at Photo 1 in message #83. That's where the safety pins are in the ch2 space (loop). You crochet around -- not in -- the chains.

The pattern says: RND 2: Sl st in the first 2 dc's and in the first ch 2 lp. Ch3, 2 dc in ch 2 sp, ch2, work 3 dc in same sp. Work the following 3 times (Ch1, work 3 dc, ch2, 3 dc in next ch 2 lp.) Ch1, join with slst to top of ch 3.

What you do is: <Look at photo 1 message #86. Where the safety pin is, is where you'll slip stitch; then you will slip stitch in the next 2 dcs, the next sl st is either in the next st (a chain) or you can sl st around the chain. Rnd 2: sl st in the first 2 dc's and in the first chain (what I do is sl st around the chain), ch 3, and then follow the directions.

Does this help? Let me know if you need photos.

Barb

Ok, if you go back and look at my pics I am ending up with a bigger hole on the one side...help me out here..,in RND 1 I repeat the 3dc in rg, ch 3, 3 times, then I ch 2, slst in top of ch 3...so what I am basically doing is 3 dc in rg, ch 3 and then chaining another 2 on top of that? Is that wrong? or are the directions incorrect?

I think I am supposed to leave off the ch 3 the 3rd time...AHHHH, does this make any sense?

would anyone mind if i joined up with this cal? I just finished one square after seeing the pattern i decided i had to at least try it since it is TOOOO hot to work on my afgan today. It is really a fun pattern to do and was hoping to make the full 25 and then figure out what to do with the squares. If ya want I'll post a pic later of my first finished square, Acutally by time I get to posting it i might have 2 done hehe. It surprised me how quick it worked up I expected it to take a little longer.

Jeannie,

Try this link. It's a step by step tutorial for granny squares. I found it posted on another thread from someone looking for help. It looks really good.

http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutoria...nny_square.htm

The pics you have posted don't show what you're doing now. It sounds, however, like you're on the right track. Look at the tutorial and let me know if it makes sense to you.

Barb

Thanks for the link Barb! What a great tut. Ok, I think I understand now. I understand what I am supposed to do but getting it to look right is another story, lol. I just tried again and it's looking more like a square, however, it's kinda turning in..like curving in, maybe I'm doing it too tight, lol. Oh gosh, who knows! I could be doing the whole thing WRONG, lol. The sad part is I LOVE trying, lol...I love crocheting but understanding the patterns is TOUGH, lol. Maybe I think too much! Ok, I'm done rambling...as soon as my boys go to bed, I'm tryin' again, lol.

:hook

Ok, the link that Barb sent didn't work but I found what she was referring to! This link is excellent for beginners, it, to me, is much easier to read! So, here is the correct link in case anyone else is having trouble! My boys are asleep so I am going to work on the square...I'll post some pics tomorrow.

http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/ltc-granny_square.htm

Thanks so much Barb! :hug

Maybe this will help..when you have a part that says slip stitch, chain 3, then 2 dc, chain 3, 3 dc....that will end up being your corner. It is all done in the same space. sp. and lp are the same thing, I had the same problem with that part. In the second round (your first corner) you will have one space that seem big. It will work itself out, don't worry. Reading a pattern can be daunting, but you'll get it, just relax...grab some tea...you'll do fine

:cheer :cheer :cheer

Sure!!! The more the merrier. I am practicing mine to make my unborn Grand daughter a blanket. Please show us pics as you get things done! it is neat to see the colors and yarns everyone uses.

:hook

Once I get the 25 squares done I'm gonna figure out how to put them all together and it will be another blanket i've made for my unborn daughter. I'm working on a round ripple for her too its just been too hot to work on it even wtih the a/c so I'll practice these sinc I've never done them before.

This may be a dumb question but why are they called "Granny Squares"? I understand the square part but not the granny part. Just curious =o)

I started my first square last night with the "Lacy Granny Square" pattern, but I got confused when I got to round 6. it says: "RDN 6: with col B, join with sl in same st as joining" ...:think in what joining? I'm confused:blush and when it says "sl" do they mean slip stitch? If somebody could help me I'd really appreciate it because I'm :help lol

Yes, sl is slip stitch, just draw up the loop, yarn over and pull hook through all loops on hook. I PM'd you about the other problem

I'm not sure why they are called granny squares. Intersting question though, maybe someone knows the answer?

:think

Archived