Newbie Crochet along?

yarnart

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone. Am I too late to sign up? Also, is everyone doing 25 squares, or are you looking for 25 warm bodies to crochet one square each? (Sorry, I didn't get a lot of sleep last night and I am nooooot with it today!) :)

Jennifer

I'll join too if I can, I tried granny squares a little bit ago and gave up, the pattern was to complicated. This one seems easier for me to understand. I just get so annoyed when my square isn't all that square LOL. This will enable me to practice and that is what I need. So count me in :)

I'll join. I'm a half newbie, but I find grannie squares fun. I like to make them with the leftover yarn from projects. I'll make as many as I can while working on other projects.

count me in too. I've been crocheting for years but i don't have a wide range of abilities and haven't done much with granny squares.

I also have to use an I hook...not for any real reason except that its the only hook i have right now lol. I have another one somewhere but i think it's an H so that doesn't help me anyway.

Okay, well, all I have right now is some purple (called grape, but looks purple) Caron SS, so I'm going to start with that, and hopefully in the next couple of days go and buy some pink. I'll probably do one color for each square.

:hook

Ok I came up with a few buttons so you can pick which one you want to use:manyheart

calbuttonja5.jpg

calbutton2qb5.gif

calbutton3cf8.jpg

I hope they are ok:)If you need help with how to put it on your blog then I'd be happy to help you with that:yes

I started tonight on my first square. I was going to take a picture, but discovered my daughter must have taken it with her to her big sister's house. Great. Anyway, it doesn't look right to me, and I've redone it several times, but I'm going to keep trying!

yay, a newbie CAL! count me in! I tried crocheting granny squares when I first learned to crochet but never got the hang of it. Maybe Ill get it this time. And just to check... we're making 25 6" squares right?

Here is a photo of my 1st square. I used the pattern posted, but I only used 1 color (:blush I hate to weave in ends) and I used a K hook.

I think I'm going to try to tweak the pattern a bit so it doesn't look so crowded.

newbiecrochetalong1stsquare002.jpg

Barb

Has anyone else gotten started? I started mine, and as soon as my DD (and the first D does not stand for Darling right now) I will snap a picture.

HOpe everyone is having a great weekend.

Wonderful job! I am using one color too, but am going to use a contrasting color to border.

Yes, we are doing 25 (6") squares. I am using a "G" hook, but as you can see, other people use their preference.

I am on pain meds right now....so counting is, well, lets just say, difficult...I start another round and end up with 10 instead of 15...hmmm, oh well, I think I have it right now.

I have been crocheting for a while and have learned some new stitches and can follow a pattern. My advice to you newbie's is to count, count and then count. I should listen to my own advice as I am making a shawl now and when I finally decided to count, I had to frog a number of rows because I was dropping stitches. Also double check and make sure that you didn't miss a stitch or that you are doing two stitches in one. Check every two rows to make sure you have it right, you will be happy you did this!!!

I hope it's not too late - I'm just finishing a baby jacket and need something to put in my bag for the train journey every morning to work. And I want to practice on some granny squares - I have purchased some cotton type thread to practice with and now I'll use this pattern. Don't know if what I have will make 25 but here goes.

Thanks ithinkican for the idea. :clap

Hi Seaburke...Welcome! Let us know how you're doing. I'm still waiting for my camera to come home with my daughter :D so I can take a picture of my work so far

Archived