Newbie Crochet along?

yarnart

Ok, so I'm sitting here in my computer chair, rocking my 4 mth old in his bouncer with my foot while I practice crocheting my squares...my 2 yr old is running around playing when all the sudden he stops, picks up one of my squares and says "mommy, look, fishy"....lol...guessing it doesn't look much like a square...lol.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aww, don't give up though! My first couple of squares when I just started looked like crap. Even with my first one for this CAL, I think I started over about 8 times! From the pics you posted earlier, you're not doing bad at all...

I have no idea why they are called granny squares!:think I've decided to use the Basic Granny Square pattern that I found in this thread, instead of the Lacy pattern. I haven't tried it out yet, but I'm hoping it'll work better then the other one hehe:) I just want to get my first ever granny square finished then I can maybe step up the ladder from being a newbie to being a little more advanced:hook

Wow, those look great! What size hook are you using? You may want to loosen up a bit on the hook, but I think that too comes with practice.

Keep on "Keepin on" :cheer

I've done 3 squares so far after doing 2 squares wrong so in theory I've done 5 hehe :P I forgot that the uk term for the dc is a treble so I was basically doing sc instead of dc! :oops I wish everybody would write their patterns in US anddd European terms :sigh

I have to be honest I'm already bored with making just squares (it's become so easy I don't even need to read the pattern anymore! I'm not bragging or anything I just feel like I need a bit more of a challenge:)) and I don't know what to do with all of them:think I guess I'm just not a newbie anymore:)

anyway here is a picture of them:)

dscf2209ok5.th.jpgdscf2210yy2.th.jpg(clickable)

I think everyone is doing great. Petra, why don't you try joining your squares now to make a blanket, even a baby blanket. Or, try the more difficult lacy square I had posted, as it has some other stitches you may find challenging.

I think everyone's squares look great! Don't give up!

:cheer

Petra and Veronica

your squares look great!

On the joining of squares note: Veronica, I crochet my squares together. Right now, thought, my dd has my digital camera so I can't take any photos of the method my grandmother taught me.

Barb

I'm not quite ready to join yet. I tried whip-stitching on a pet bed I am making for my incredibly spoiled chihuahua, and...well, I am looking forward to learning your method. No hurry though, whenever you get a chance.

I just learned how to do granny squares (thank you crochetcabana.com) and am making an afghan to match my new wall to wall carpet. Have 7 squares joined together to make a panel. So far have 2 panels joined and ready with 2 more. This is fun!

I single crochet mt squares together through the back loops only. They lay nice and flat, and you can hardly tell where you joined them.

here's a picture of one of the first squares I made (that's why it looks pretty terrible - I don't have my camera with me to take pictures of the other ones I've made):

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m267/ankey1110/misc001-1.jpg

I used scrap yarn until I realized that I didn't have any other yarn to match so now I have 10 squares of red heart super saver baby print yarn.

Ankey, if your square looks terrible then mine is off the charts horrible! LOL! I think it's nice! I need some tips here, I'm struggling with this...I mean, I know it should be easy but I just can't seem to get a hold on it. Does anyone have any advice/tips for me?

Thanks girls

Archived