Newbie Crochet along?

yarnart

Well, I got to round 5 and undid the whole thing again. I don't know how I keep mis counting. Tomorrow afternoon, I am going to keep doing it until I get it right.

:think

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw you managed to get the button on your blog IthinkICan yay!:clap I was thinking I wasn't making any sence and that I was explaining it wrong heehee:blush

btw do you have to use the pattern you're using? because I've found another one I'd really like to use:)

It seems as though people are doing mostly what they are comfortable with. I have been steady trying the pattern I picked out, but come time to make corners from the circle, I mess up. Getting farther every time though. Use whichever pattern you want, I picked this one because it is "easy" yet challenging for a beginner.

Well I changed my mind I'm going to try and do the one from the pattern you picked, because that way if I do something wrong I can come on here and ask for help:)

I got my camera back, so will be posting my work soon. I hope everyone is having fun with this. Personally, I find this pattern a bit challenging, but fun.

Wow! I'm not a beginner, but I'd like to commend all of you who make this square. :) It looks like a tricky but fun one! I don't know about what you all think, but if you can make these, then I think you've risen from the status of newbie! Great going everyone!

This may help some of you with Granny Squares. I teach crochet classes at one of the local colleges and require all my students to purchase a book entitled: Crochet Made Easy. It is a book that is about the size of a pc of paper folded in half and cost generally less than $5. It can be purchased generally at Wal-Mart and Hobby Lobby. In this book is a pattern for a baby blanket (which can be adjusted with more squares to accomodate the size you like) made with granny squares using a puff stiff. I use this one for teaching purposes for my classes. This is a great book for beginners with some really good patterns in it.

If you need help I will be happy to help! Good Luck to all. (I would love to join in but can't right now - work full-time, school full-time, kids, family....you get the picture.)

Good Luck!

Have A Great Week!

Midds

Hi. Thanks for the advise. I, for one, already have a book entitled "I taught myself to crochet" even though my grandmother taught me when I was young. I am not having a problem at all with the stitches...it seems to be the counting in this particular pattern. I have redone the same square probably 15 times. I count, recount, and am beginning to think the pattern has a flaw..lol. I have already stated people can do whatever square they like, but the pattern I found I thought was challenging, but fun and pretty.

Others may be interested in the book you mentioned though, and advise is always welcome. I am very frustrated right now because I just can't end up with the number of spaces and stitches I am supposed to according to the pattern.

I finished my first square! It's kinda lopsided though because I miscounted and so one side is missing quite a few stitches. Also, it's more of a 5.5 in. square than a 6 in. one... I need to learn how to join colors so I can make one with 2 colors instead of just one. I'll post a pic later when I have my camera.

Thanks for the book suggestion too, Midds! I'm going to try to find a copy at my local Hobby Lobby.

hi! I want to join ! I have been crocheting for a few months,but have trouble finishing anything.I started the flower-cal and that took me hours to figure out the pattern,so this sounds more my speed.

Barb, You may want to try a smaller crochet hook.It is amazing the difference it can make.(please,no laughing-I just figured that out.)

After I finish my housework-I will try the pattern. Leslie

I've decided just to use a basic granny square pattern instead of the original one. I was on my 2nd square but it was taking forever to make because I kept on messing up and starting over. I want to be able to finish this CAL before school starts in August because then I won't have any more time to crochet until December and with a more basic pattern, I've already finished 5 squares. I have a question though... How do you join granny squares together once you are done with them?

Ok, this looks way too fun! Am I too late to join in? It might take me awhile since I have NEVER done a granny square and I have two boys under the age of two, :eek ! But I'd love to try!

Also, Knitted Painting, those buttons are too cool! I can't wait to use one on my site after I get started!

Ok, Just say when!

:hook

Hi all,

I love :manyheart the lacy granny square, but right now it takes too much concentration for me to do :no . I think :think , for now, I'm going to go with a basic granny square for this CAL. But, I'll keep plugging away on the other square as well.

Barb

Okay, even I am having problems with this pattern that I posted. Particularly when it comes to the last two rounds. Lets say you (we) all find a pattern that is "do-able" for ourselves, and work on it. Anyone is still welcome to join, and don't worry about time...we are newbies, and it may take us a while. Some of the more advanced may finish first and that is okay...they can tell us if/where they had a problem and show us their work! Still should be lots of fun and Welcome to all those just joining!!

Yep, I'll post another one in case no one else does, and I'll do one with you. Give me until the end of the day to decide on one, unless there is one you would like to do?

Veronica

There are several methods to attach the granny squares. One is simply to whip-stitch them together with your yarn and a needle. I know the crochet Dude ( :nworthy ) has a method that looks cool on his site, but honestly, it looked a bit advanced. I'll get you some links later today for some methods, unless someone else posts some.

Veronica

:cheer :cheer :cheer

I'm on a roll now! I've finished 2 squares, and plan to finish several more before the end of the evening. It may or may not help you, but if I visualize what the stitch or space will be on the next round, it helps to make sense of it all, and I remember the pattern better.

Archived