Best friend's twin son has brain cancer

mason204

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

angelfire: Nope, I haven't received them yet. Not to worry - my hubby suspects that the mailperson doesn't deliver on Fridays. I expect I'll see something on Monday. I'll let you know asap!

froggy: Thank you for your concern.:hug I'll definitely let you know if I'm short squares. :)

Thanks to all who have sent squares.:manyheart I'll keep everyone updated as soon as I receive them.

I sent mine global express and they said that you would have them in two or three days........and that is already past. I think you would have gotten them by now. I hope nothing happened to them.

One of the problems I have when I receive or send packages via regular mail to/from the U.S. is the sporadic nature of delivery. I suspect that, for some reason, the packages sit at customs and are then usually delivered all at once. Sometimes the packages arrive in 3 days, sometimes they arrive 2 weeks later. My husband and I have noticed that we never seem to get much mail (if any at all) on Fridays. We jokingly think that someone at the postoffice just decides not to work too hard on that day. Our maillady is super prompt in her delivery schedule and is a hard worker. I think the problem stems higher up.

On a positive note, the packages always arrive - I haven't had any lost in the mail yet. Unfortunately, they seem to take their own time. If anyone sent me packages and used a tracking # (do you get that with global express?), please check it online as I haven't received the packages. I'm not sure if you get your money back if the packages aren't delivered as promised. I'm a newbie in that area.

Please rest assured that as soon as I receive the packages, I'll post the information here immediately. I'll also ask the maillady when I see her what the holdup might be.

Thank you everyone for your patience.

Cheryl.

Hey did you receive the three squares I sent last week? Just curious. Let me know if you don't get them by this week and I will follow-up with post office.

Laurine

Daisy:

Great news! The Purolator truck came about 30 minutes ago and delivered your generously-sized box!! Inside were 3 squares (orange, yellow and purple). The colours were so bright my daughters went "ooooh" when I opened the box. Also inside were 8 (count 'em) 8 balls of Caron Simply Soft in various bright shades. Lots of yarn for joining the squares. :manyheart

I can't express in words how much your generosity will mean to my friend and her family. :hug

God bless you!

An update to this thread:

The mail lady just arrived. I received:

*2 squares from Theworm (one blue and one bright red) - I just love the colours.

*4 squares from Jamie (beautifully multi-coloured)

*2 squares (one orange and one puple) from Chainofools (kiki). Wonderful!

Boy, you ladies do great work!!

The square count is now at 15! I'll be starting the first comfortghan and will divide the squares amongst the two comfortghans when appropriate. I did notice that some of you who donated made a square for each boy.

Cheryl.

Delivery Update...

Angelfire (Bonnie): The squares sent by you and your daughter arrived today. They are absolutely gorgeous. Thanks to both of you, the square count is now at 21.

I have to say that I'm overwhelmed by the generosity of this group. :manyheart I've started placement of the squares for the first comfortghan and am well on my way to do the same for the other one as well.

I think it's safe to say that no more squares will be required. I believe that the remaining squares in transit will fulfil the need for squares for the second comfortghan.

I'll keep you posted as I receive squares and on the progress of the comfortghans. I'll also give you periodic updates on my friend's son.

Cheers. :hook

I do hope everything will be okay for the boys and their mother. They are all in my prayers. My mom just went through treatment for breast cancer all this past year and I know that the chemo takes a LOT out of a person. Bless his heart! :heart

cshort (Carol): I received your lovely two blue aqua squares today plus some yarn for joining. Thank you very much.

I'm now at 23 squares. :manyheart

Thanks all!!

Update to post on July 28th:

Dragonfli: I received your box of 3 squares plus yarn today. Also hidden inside were two Backyardigans readers for the boys. My friend will go "nuts" when she sees these as Backyardigans stuff is really hard to come by in Toronto. Thank you so much for your kind gift. I knew your squares were coming so I saved a special spot for your squares in the comfortghans.

Update to post on July 28th:

Dragonfli: I received your box of 3 squares plus yarn today. Also hidden inside were two Backyardigans readers for the boys. My friend will go "nuts" when she sees these as Backyardigans stuff is really hard to come by in Toronto. Thank you so much for your kind gift. I knew your squares were coming so I saved a special spot for your squares in the comfortghans.

My 8 year old picked out the readers to enclose. She wanted to do a square (she crochets pretty good), but has not yet mastered the granny square so the readers were her contribution and made her feel like she was helping. Thanks for mentioning, when she wakes up this morning I will show her your post. Can't wait to see your comfortgans!!! We are sending lot's of positive thoughts and prayers your way.

Laurine

Hello all:

Guess what I did over the weekend???

I finished the first comfortghan! :clap

Here are some photos:

th_comfortghan1-b.jpg

You can click to see a larger photo

th_comfortghan1-a.jpg

You can click to see a larger photo

Yup, if you think the squares look bright in the photo, you should see them in person! :sun Especially when standing in the sunshine as I did for the phototaking.

When I sewed all the squares together, my daughters said "mommy, I'm not sure if they all go together". After I added the edging, my girls were delighted with the results. It's amazing how edging on an afghan can bring so many assorted colours together!! :yes

I tagged each square so I would remember who sent each square and to help me with placement. I tried to evenly distribute squares I received between both afghans. That's what those ratty little tags are for that you see in the photos. I intend to replace them with nicer tags once I'm finished.

I also have to thank everyone for making perfect 12" squares. You ladies certainly know how to crochet. My last experience with joining squares took way longer because I had to crochet extra rows to make smaller squares exactly 12" and in some cases, I had to rip out rows from squares because they were too big. In every case, each square was "just right" which made the joining go by so quickly.

I hope you like the end result.:ty

I'm waiting another day or two before starting the second comfortghan as there are squares from two ladies that haven't arrived yet.

Oooh, I'm so excited. My friend and her boys will :manyheart these.

:hug -- Cheryl.

Absolutely adorable!! Soooooo colorful and cheerful. I showed my 8 year old and (I couldn't believe it) she cried!!! She said, "Mommy those boys are going to just smile and smile"!! Beautiful work!! Everyone!!

Those are beautiful, I'm sorry I didn't see this post sooner! My daughter has autism, so they have a special place in my heart. :heart I will be praying for them. Please keep us posted how they are doing.

Cheryl, I am in absolute AWE! The afghan turned out gorgeous! I can't wait to see the 2nd one. You have done a beautiful job with the squares....and they look GREAT! Bless your heart for doing this beautiful and comforting deed. :hug

What a beautiful afghan! you did a great job and surely will make the boy's day! I am proud to say that i participated in such a wonderful project and it makes me want to do more. also, thank you for the kind words about our squares! i was worried that they wouldnt be good enough or the right size!:cheer:clap:c9

The afghan is gorgeous? Oh my, let me say that again.....it's GORGEOUS!

You did a fantastic job on it! The colors are just beautiful......and again,

It's absolutely GORGEOUS!

Archived