Best friend's twin son has brain cancer

mason204

This is one of the hardest posts I've had to write...

I just found out that that one of my best friend's twin boys has been diagnosed with brain cancer. The tumour is fused with the nervous system and is inoperable because of placement. Only 10% of all children diagnosed with this type of cancer live beyond 1 year.

He's just turned 5 and it's a real shock to everyone.

Her boys are everything to her. Both boys were diagnosed with autism about a year ago and she's been dealing with their special needs pretty much single-handedly. To make matters worse, my friend lost her mom to breast cancer about 5 years ago and her sister to breast cancer about 3 years ago. She was also caregiver to her MIL who also died of cancer about 7 years ago. My friend was a huge support for me when I went through my treatment for breast cancer about 3 years ago.

Cancer is a [very bad thing] and somehow always seems to strike the ones you love.

As I type this it sounds surreal. Like one of those e-mails you see but can't quite believe because the facts sound unbelievable.

I would like to put together a comfortghan for both boys and would gladly appreciate donated squares. My friend is a very social person and knowing that a group of people cared enough to put two "blankies" together for her boys would provide her with so much comfort. Not to mention that the boys would have something to cuddle with. She's feeling quite alone right now.

The boys love the Backyardigans. I'm thinking that bright colours might grab their attention (yellow, pink, purple, blue, orange). Here is an example of their colour scheme. If you can send 12" squares, I'll put them together and deliver the comfortghans to the family. Please be sure to include your name and addy with your square (for thank yous). Please feel free to PM me if you need more information. My snail mail addy is:

Cheryl Mason

204 Coleridge Avenue

Toronto, ON M4C 4H9

CANADA.

I realize I'm in Canada and hope that this isn't too inconvenient. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this. I hope you can help.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How wonderful...

I think a good quality knitting worsted would be fine - something that can be machine washed...

Caron SS (we don't have that here in Canada but I've felt it before and it's great), Bernat Berella "4"....

Thank you!!!

Oh Cheryl, I feel so bad for you and your friend! That helpless feeling, noone understands it until they've been there, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I'll get a couple squares made and out to you before the end of the week. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Hi Cheryl,

I will pray for your friend and her boys. I will also send you a couple of squares, I have some RedHeart worsted weight in bright variegated colors if that is ok.

Carol

Is it okay if I use the Caron SS? I checked out the colors of the Bernat Berella "4", but they don't have the bright colors that you are looking for. Sorry, but I do have just one more question......would you like the squares to be solid in color or squares with multiple colors in it? Knowing this, will help me to get started....I will make as many as I can. :hug :hug

KnicKnac, I am aware of the yarn preferences, but I wanted to let her know, because she said that she can't get the Caron SS where she is....and I thought it would be a good idea to keep the yarns as similar as possible....even when she has to join and border it.

Sorry Daisy, I misread your post and completely understood it a different way. I totally see where you were going with your statement now.

Sorry if I sounded rude.

KnicKnac......that's okay....we're good :D It's just hard to guess what someone is looking for when we're trying to help out with an afghan....especially when we are all miles and miles away from each other and the only means to communicate is via the "Ville. I guess I just like lots of details....so I don't have to guess in order to please. It would be a shame to make something....and it gets tossed aside because it wasn't right or made from the right yarn or color. All is well :cheer Have a great day! :hug

Daisy.

Thank you everyone for your overwhelming response!!

I've just finished stitching two comfortghans together for members of our congregation. Although the squares were made with about 3 different types of knitting worsted yarn, the colour scheme was the same (blues) and the comfortghans kinda "came together" in the end. The end result was quite stunning. I'm not sure about washability though as it relates to mixing knitting worsted yarn brands. Perhaps someone more experienced in this area could comment on this. :think

I didn't want to be too specific on the yarn brand so as to make this project prohibitive to those who want to assist. :hug I think acrylics are pretty bulletproof in the washing machine...

As for colour combinations, solid coloured squares may be easier to blend into the overall comfortghan than variegated squares - I always manage to get squares to blend....so I'm not quite sure on this one.

Sorry for the hesitation in decision making--I'm pretty upset about the situation and not thinking too straight...

Thank you everyone..:hug

would love to send in one or two! anyone know where to find the carron yarn? I dont think I have seen it at michael's or AC mooe

Michael's does carry carron. I bought two brightly colored skeins there last night so I can make a square for this family. :)

188760282_3a58c1c9aa_m.jpg

This is what I have on hand, I know the yellow, orange and purple are cool for the Backyardigans. I thought my blue and green were a little darker,I wanted to make a blue one, but that's ok. I'll make 2 12" squares using the others and get them out as soon as possible.

would love to send in one or two! anyone know where to find the carron yarn? I dont think I have seen it at michael's or AC mooe

My AC Moore carries it, they had it stocked next to the RED HEART Light and Lofty..take a look, and if you can find an associate, ask them. They seem to scatter when I need one.

Archived