Best friend's twin son has brain cancer

mason204

An update...

I received a beautiful orange square from Crochetlady100. Not to worry...the orange fits in quite nicely with the other squares. :)

It may be another week before I start the 2nd comfortghan.

In an almost unbelievable turn of events, my own cancer decided to recur at my routine checkup last Thursday. I knew this could happen but was still surprised when it did. I started chemo again last Friday (my 3rd time). I'm feeling better but one nasty side effect is extreme pain in my right arm that started two days ago. I'm typing with one finger (very frustrating to a girl who types about 120wpm). The most maddening of all is that I CAN'T CROCHET. I think that upsets me more than the cancer.

I just want a normal life!!! I'll keep everyone posted on the ghans. I may have difficulty with the edgings but I can probably sew the squares together in the meantime.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh Cheryl! I'm sorry to hear your news, but glad that you caught it and have gotten into treatment quickly. You've been so generous helping these boys and their family. Let me know if there is any way I can help you! With something for you or more things for the boys! It must be very frustrating for you, but lots of wishes and prayers are going out for you!!! :hug:

An update...

I received a beautiful orange square from Crochetlady100. Not to worry...the orange fits in quite nicely with the other squares. :)

It may be another week before I start the 2nd comfortghan.

In an almost unbelievable turn of events, my own cancer decided to recur at my routine checkup last Thursday. I knew this could happen but was still surprised when it did. I started chemo again last Friday (my 3rd time). I'm feeling better but one nasty side effect is extreme pain in my right arm that started two days ago. I'm typing with one finger (very frustrating to a girl who types about 120wpm). The most maddening of all is that I CAN'T CROCHET. I think that upsets me more than the cancer.

I just want a normal life!!! I'll keep everyone posted on the ghans. I may have difficulty with the edgings but I can probably sew the squares together in the meantime.

Oh Cheryl, I am so sorry. I hope things will get under control and you will start to feel better real soon. Sending a prayer up for you! :angel

I am so sorry to here your knews. I will say a prayer for you each day and pray for a speedy recovery and that soon you will be crocheting again.

Laurine

Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear of your cancer coming back. My prayers for you, are going straight up to the highest of places. Keep up your treatments and get better real soon! Do take good care of yourself! I care......I really do! Sending hugs and prayers your way! :hug :hug :hug :hug :hug :hug :hug :hug :hug :hug

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone....

Sorry for such a delay in posting. As you may remember, I was unable to crochet due to a chemotherapy side effect. I'm happy to report that in the past week I've been able to crochet again. I have no lingering pain in the arm. Thank goodness. :)

As a result, I finished the second comfortghan. Here's a photo:

th_comfortghan2.jpg

[please click for larger image]

Now comes the part where I package everything up for delivery to my friend. I'll keep you posted on the response from the boys....

Her son has finished radiation and is doing better than even the doctor had expected. Unfortunately, this is only a temporary measure until the tumour grows again but my friend intends to spend every moment she can with her son until then.

I can't thank you all enough for the hard work and support you've given this project. I had every intention of finishing this way sooner but, as you know, life doesn't always work out the way you want it to.

I was thinking about you, Cheryl! Glad that you are doing better! Are you finished with your chemo, now?

The afghans for the boys came out beautiful! Such cheery colors! I'm sure they'll love them. It's so nice of you to do this for your friend!

I have been thinking of you often and looking for your posts! glad you can crochet again! Your work is beautiful and so are you for doing this for your friend and her family! take plenty of tissues with you when you see her and give the blankets...................hope you continue to feel better

I have been wondering how you are feeling and while I had subscribed to the thread and hadn't gotten any notices of new postings, I checked it once a week just in case. I am so glad you are feeling well enough to crochet. I know that crocheting certainly makes me feel better. The comfortghans worked up beautifully, you did such a great job. I know they will be snuggly and comforting for the twins. Thank you for the update and you are in my thoughts and my prayers.

Laurine

• 9 months later...

It is with a heavy heart that I write this post. The little boy with the brain tumour passed away last Saturday after a year-long struggle with cancer.

His funeral was held today and I wanted everyone who contributed to his comfortghan to know that his mom cherished the blanket. During the service, his twin brother helped to lay the blanket over his casket. As you can imagine, it was a heartbreaking moment. To my surprise, the priest wrote his homily around the blanket and remarked at how each square was made by people located across North America and how there was so much love and support surrounding this family.

Although the doctors told my friend at diagnosis that at most he had a few months to live and probably a year at best, his quality of life was pretty good up until a month ago. He was able to attend his pre-school graduation and celebrate his birthday.

Attending the funeral was one of the most difficult things I have ever had to do. We are all saddened here but I wanted to thank everyone again at Crochetville who contributed for your generosity and support.

God bless.

Cheryl.

:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry I am so sorry. This is so sad that I can't even come up with words to express my feelings. I just want to take a pillow and cry my heart out into it. Blessings to all those who feel the loss.

Archived