Another kind of Prejudice

I was sitting in the breakroom at work today on my lunch hour, working on a baby dress I'm trying to finish up so I can have a few to offer at my first fair. One of the other ladies in our office crochets as well, and as she walked by she stuck her head in and asked what I was making.. I told her with a smile and then the inevitable question came to her eyes and I had to quickly say "no.. I'm not pregnant lol" and explained that I was making them for a craft fair I was getting ready for in about 6 weeks. hooker.gif

With that information her whole demeanor changed and she looked down at me and told me she refused to sell her things, that she made them because she enjoyed doing them and that she would never sell.. then goes on to tell me all the latest things she's made and given away to people and family over the holidays. :blah

*Sigh* I love doing this too.. it's why I do it.. it's for sure not because I'm going to get rich doing it but I do enjoy it, and if you enjoy something and can make some sales and benefit from it both emotionally and financially.. is that wrong? :rolleyes

I have made tons.. literally.. of things over the years and just because someone saw me working on it, commented on it and seemed to like it I've been known to turn right around when it's done and give it to them with nothing asked for other than an appreciation for it. I really resented that she seemed to think I was lowering myself or my skill by selling my things.. as if I was less of a purist for this reason? Offering my services and my gift to others for a price doesn't cheapen it... not in any sense.. but it sure helps out my pocketbook when the van is broken down, the heating bill is due and the husband hasn't found work yet.. :help

Some people, I swear... I know this probably just rubbed me all wrong.. but good grief... the human animal sure confuses the heck out of me sometimes :shrug

"Offering my services and my gift to others for a price doesn't cheapen it... not in any sense.. but it sure helps out my pocketbook when the van is broken down, the heating bill is due and the husband hasn't found work yet.. "

Abso-posi-lutely.

Hang in there, baby.:grouphug

I hope your items sell quickly and you make tons of money!!

That was incredibly rude and judgemental of her.

Think about this: can you even begin to picture on woodworker saying to another, "oh, I'd never dream of selling something I made. I do this because I love it and not to make money." Or any other craft/skill. It's ridiculous, not to mention completely twisted, to think that people should only make money by doing things they *don't* enjoy.

You're doing something good by selling things IMO because so many people don't have access to beautiful handmade items unless they buy them.

Sorry for your experience. Ya know, I used to crochet at the B&B I worked at when I got bored (which was a LOT). Anyway, my boss loved my things so as a going away gift when I moved to Australia, I made her a shall that took me AGES!! Because of that, SHE was the one that suggested I sell my things and custom ordered more from me to give to her friends and family. I was (and still am) super poor so selling them allowed me to afford more yarn'n'things. I felt like it was a total win/win. And I still enjoy creating things for people as well.

All I have to say is this: I hope you sell sell sell at that market and make some extra cash so you can buy that woman some manners. (tee hee hee)

Bec

<span style="font-family:comic sans ms; color:purple;">Monetary compensation for beautiful work is neither selling out or cheapening your craft. The fact that you have the skills that people want and are willing to pay for is something to be proud of.

A lot of people feel that in order to be doing a craft for love, they mustn't sell them. I say why not? People go in and buy less attractive (mass produced) crocheted and knitted things from stores and spend twice the money they would for a more quality homemade gift. Why not get a little of that action?!

Try not to take what she said to heart. Everyone has their own reasons for how they feel...let her opinion roll off of you while you're making a little cash to get by on.</span>

I don't understand that reaction. Why would anyone think it was somehow distasteful to sell your work? Even the greatest artists in history got paid for their work. I've never sold anything I made (just give them to charity or to loved ones), but if I met someone who sold their work I'd just admire them for being that skilled. If I thought my work was good enough and someone was interested I'd sell too.

Maybe you tapped into some hidden insecurity in this woman. You know, like "Oh, she thinks she's hot stuff because people pay for her work. Well, I could get paid too if I wanted, but I'm not in it for the money. So there!" :irked Perhaps it's just sour grapes.

I wouldn't let it bother me. Some people are just like that. They'll ask you something about yourself but then somehow make it all about them. :wink

I actually think it's kind of selfish to look down on someone for selling their work. It's great that she gives her stuff away, but what about those people out there who don't know anyone who crochets? Where are they to get their crochetted items if they aren't the types to do it themselves?

I have to tell you, I crochet so much, if I didn't give them as gifts and sell some stuff my house would be over run with things. I love crocheting, just seeing the finished product makes me happy. Whether it hets given away or sold, it went to someone who will enjoy it!!

I wonder if Michaelangelo (spelling?) painted the Sistine Chapel for free? :thinking1

:artist I agree with all of those that have commented before me. Let it roll right off your back.

SHE's the one that has issues... NOT YOU.

(perhaps no one has ever WANTED to buy any of her things?) :hee

Gosh Rebecca.. not sure to be honest.. I feel weird pricing to someone that does the work because.. well.. dunno lol...

I was going to put the dress, a little hat, either booties or a diaper cover with it as a set and try to sell the set for $40 for the 6-9 month dresses, the newborn to 3 month probably for $25 or $30 for the same set and the bigger dresses (like the lilac one I did which is about a 24 month possibly or bigger I was thinking $50 or $60 for the dress / hat set.

Do you guys think that is too much? not enough? I don't want to over price but don't want to under price either especially with the time I have in them... I'm truly clueless but thought that was a good starting point...:?

Thanks :) I thought they were fair... I don't know what Joe Public will think.. but putting a baby hat with them that takes *maybe* an hour to make an dput together will help sell it to the masses.. as they will think they are getting a bargain for the set ;) I was hoping I wasn't underpricing but didn't really feel comfortable going alot higher.

I've started on some more dresses, these have white bodices and pastel skirts with hats to match.... as well as one that I think might turn into a top / bloomers set actually (will mean sewing elastic ugh) ... the little hats I'm doing actually look kind of like pill box hats and have turned out real cute. It's been a busy week here but I'll take some pictures this weekend and post them :clap

it just goes to show that HER work isn't good enough to sell:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl i ahd the same experience yesterday. i took my doily(the one on the currents list) to a person who i thought was a friend. she asked me how much i was charging and i told her $25.00, she goes for that "little thing" made me so mad, and of course that little thing took me 3 days to make and i think it is perfectly reasonable price and have sold 2 of them so far. you go girl and selllllllll your wonderful outfits. she is just jealous::nana :nana vicki:hug :coffee

I just finished up one of the dresses with white bodice, lilac skirt and matching hat.. complete with ribbons and roses... it turned out so good!!

I'll post pics when I can take some with good light.. I promise :)h

Wow. Some people...oy. Jeez, I feel sorry for that woman that she is that judgemental, and didn't take into account that quite possibly people do have to have side incomes to help suppliment their lives. She must have a laaaarge trust fund..(pfft!)

Don't EVER be ashamed for selling your handmade items at craft fairs or wherever. Many people desire what you are selling, especially because they are almost "automatic heirlooms" know what I mean? You're providing a service. Some people have no time to crochet...long hours at work, or lots of kids at home, or handicap or just don't have the patience to learn, BUT they still want the finished item.

I also think your prices are reasonable...

I agree, don't pay her any attention. :hug

I don't sell my stuff because I'm so s..l..o..o..o..w :shrug and still really learning the craft. If I could whip lovely designs out fast, I probably would though because I enjoy it so much more than the job I currently have.

Do you think she would have been so judgemental if you had been knitting or sewing? I doubt it.

~Tricia

Guest the other helen bach

Lovey, if you enjoy it and can make some $$$$ GO FOR IT!!!!!

I just wish I could be good enough to make stuff pretty enough that ppl would love to buy. :knit Don't let that oddball woman get you down. :hug

Archived