O.k., one of my dearest friends just hurt me so deeply! :irked

Now that I'm learning how to make different kinds of crochet project I've been bitten rather hard by the "Hey, I wonder if I could crochet something for THAT?" bug. As in "Hey, that box of Kleenex looks kind of nekkid. I wonder if I could design a cover for it?!"

I'm not talking anything frilly or over the top either, I just meant a nice, simply designed cover for the box of Kleenex that sits on my nightstand.

So I share my ideas with my friend and she tells me I'm a step away from grannydom!

Hmpf!

So tell me, dear Crochetvillites, is this a phase I'm going through, me all giddy with my newfound knowledge and love for crochet or am I really headed for the day where I crochet a cozy for the toiletpaper?!

You know, that wouldn't be too hard to make either...:wink

Nah, you're not crazy. :) I am forever accused of being a "granny" crocheter by my husband. Just to show him that if he keeps up that attitude, I have the ability to make our house covered in silly crocheted items, I made a dress for my dish soap. :bad

I am forever tempted by the cute coverings for kleenex, hangers, etc.

Hon I have covers for my toilet paper and I'm far from Grannydom:)) I don't give a rats rearend what anybody thinks about what I crochet. I love it and I'm not about to change :irked

My kids 11, 13, 15, 17 ,20 and 25 all think I'm cool and that's all that matters to me.

You will try to crochet everything you see that's just part of the bug of creativity.She'd understand if she was one of us special individuals who try to cover the word with beautiful yarn. Just be proud you are 1 :bow

hahaha nah your not crazy at all.. my husband (before he was my husband LOL) wondered about my fascination with crochet.. but he's very supportive now.. says nothing about one living room corner being covered in yarn and bits and works in progress...

Even asked me to make him a scarf which he wears with pride :)h My kids just think it's well cool and I'm in the process now of making purses for my 18 year old college student and all her little minions ;)

Grannydom? For a moment I thought it was a compliment on your latest granny square creation. :)h

I'm actually surprised by how well accepted my crocheting is... my Sweety and our furry kids just love the afghans. Though my little Pooter (mini-doxie) is currently on the $#!t list as he decided to "play" with a work in progress while I was at work and now it's a mess of tangled yarn. :mad Even friends at work often comment on the scarves I've made to go with my uniform, one even suggested I sell them to fellow staff...:ideanot of course, he also said he'd look silly in a scarf. Go figure.

I say as long as you love what you're doing and those that live with you don't mind, then :nana to those who can't or don't because they think it's Granny. :bad

Proud to be "granny"

~Tricia

hmmmmmm just wondering.....if your friend thinks it's to grannydom..not so sure i would be quick to give her something i had made! Go ahead and cover your kleenex box, and when you write down the pattern, and make tons of money :rotfl , you can show that to her!

:artist

create and be creative

Lori

Geez, I thought all true crocheters had all those tissue boxes covered! You know what, so what if you are headed for Grannydom In my opinion I think we would all like to be a "granny" some day!

There is a lady that sells tiolet roll covers on ebay all the time!!!:))

My husband is very supportive of my crochet, even when I start a new project he picks who he thinks will like it the best lol

Has your friend ever admired something you made? did you give it to her? just wonder coz the day will probably come when she totally wants something you have made, or for you to make it for her....then the decision will be yours.....if you know what I mean:)

Chin up, you love what you do and thats the most important opinion of all!!

Luv Mandy

I crocheted dress's and put a 7 in doll in the tube of the toilet

paper, crocheted the bodice then put the skirt on the toilet paper and decorated it with pom poms.:bang

So there is nothing wrong with you/

Evelyn

I say who cares!!1

Although, here is my story...

No one I know really appreciates what I make. Sure, a nice afghan is always appreciated because it can be USED, but if I make something small, they never get taken seriously. I made a few hats but no one wants them. I made some ponchos and shawls, no one wants those. I made potholders but no one wants to use them. I did make some scarves but have yet to see anyone wearing them!!! It's rather frustrating. I've started only making afghans cuz that seems to be the only thing people around here appreciate!!! It's very depressing.

Even my live-in boyfriend likes my afghans but everything else, he's like, why did you make that? He likes em and thinks they are "cute" and thinks I'm talented but doesn't "appreciate" any of it.

It's tough :(

But we all gotta do what we love and forget about what others say!!!!

Crocheting is cool no matter what. If you like than that is all that matters. I'm 28 years old and I have purple hair and I wear strange clothing and people just get all weird when they find out I crochet.... Like I'm not the kind of person who would do such a "granny" thing.

My friends and I always tease that we are practicing for when we are old farts sititng around the asylum with our hooks and making toilet paper cozies.

Do it cuz ya love it. You all make such wonderful things here and I am just in awe of all the creativity that floats around.

*searches for kleenex box cozy pattern*

Everyone has given you such great advice! And yeah, one of these days, your friend is gonna want something....

Its very narrow minded...And HEY! I like grannies! They're the ones who taught me!!!!!!!

Apparently your friend isn't up on the trends because if you look in any magazine out right now, there is so much crochet in garments and accessories and home decor...jeez...not only is it a hobby for many, an income for some but it is a SKILL.

Someone should crochet her a muzzle.>:

Again I'm sorry I'm sounding so harsh, but some people can't stand to see other people enjoy themselves...

edited for content..:hug2

I can't add to what others have already said... It all applies =)

I'm sorry your friend was so insensitive though. :irked But you know you're not alone in your obseesion =) There are over 640 of us right here on C'ville alone :rotfl

I went to the store the other day and bought some of those little purse sized tissues, cuz it's winter and my nose drips when I'm outdoors... on the way home I was thinking "I wonder if I can make a little cover/pouch thingy for it... should be pretty easy to do" Then not two hours later hubby brought in the reveal package from my Winter secret pal... who it seems had that same thought bc she sent me one :rock

Yanno, there is a kinda ugly box of kleenex over yonder on the table... it probably needs a nifty green or purple cover for it (to match my pillows) :bad But we don't have a back of the toilet, so we're safe from those things for a while lol.

:hug2 We're all here for ya hun make your tissue box cover and share the pics with us :hug

So if crocheters are headed for 'grannydom' I have finally made it :danc After 35 years of crocheting/knitting I also became a granny. woooooo hooooooo:yay2 And my 24 year old daughter better get on the stick, she has been hanging around 'grannydom' for about 10 years. As I typed this she picked up her crocheting and said she was going to 'grannydom' :frog

my kiddos are making me wait darn it. oh well when they are ready and have their babies i will also be a crocheting granny, but now am just a:artist like i said thank god people want to learn and they aren't all grannies my friends. i signed up a girl that is 16 the yesterday. :woohoo :woohoo vicki

Not even close to being crazy!

I have a couple of friends that said the same type of things to me, but I then realized that these friends have no artistic talents whatsoever. They don't have any kind of craftiness to them.

Could this be what your friend is going through too?:?

So crocheting is a "granny" thing? I'm in trouble, in that case, since DH and I are "childfree" - so I'm not ever going to *be* a granny! LOL

Crochet is for any age - just roll your eyes when your friend makes comments like that, and try to ignore her ignorance (then show her your latest yarn stash addition). Or ask if she'd like to learn - I'm sure you'd be happy to teach her... ;-)

Bring her over to the dark side...

Re-reading this topic reminded me of a weekend my friend from across the state (MI) came for a visit. We decided it would be a quiet weekend. She brought her knitting and we spent all weekend basically chatting and crocheting and/or knitting. :knit It was a wonderful weekend. When I returned to work on Monday and told my co-worker what our weekend consisted of she said, "what are you a bunch of old fuddy-duddies". Some people just don't appreciate a good relaxing weekend.:frogwww.mllorf.blogspot.com

Archived