Doubled Wool with tartan inlay

Lawless

Hi everyone... this is my first attempt at showing a pattern, so be gentle with me... (this is also the second attempt at this thread ! GRRRR ! I lost the first one!..)

I would like to show you a recently completed blanket of mine...

new-blanket0606.jpg

this is the blanket - before the edging is applied - note the tied off pieces of wool at the bottom of the blanket. .. I'll explain this for you soon.

Materials:

8 PLY wool / yarn

- Royal Blue

- Mouldy / frosty greeny-bluey colour...

these two are crocheted together to form the majority of the base of the blanket above..

Contrasts:

Orange and Red Wool - crocheted together

Gold and Lemon Wool - crocheted together

Pale aqua & strong Aqua wool - crocheted together

Green and Mint Green wool - crocheted together

These form the contrast strips you see in the blanket

Hook: 5.5

The Pattern:

Do a row of chain - in the case above - 141 chain - which was enough to encompas the pattern of 5 treble, 1 chain (forming a gap in the pattern) 10 treble, 1 chain and so on... so - in total 141 chain.. you can adapt the pattern depending on the numbers of woven contrasts you require, and the numbers of treble between each weave.

row 1.. Do 141 chain

row 2.. do 2 chain , turn your work, do a treble into the 3rd chain from your hook, and a further 3 treble into the next three chain. ### Do 1 chain, miss 1 chain in Row 1, and place 10 treble into the next 10 chain respectively. Do 1 chain, miss the next chain in row 1, and do 5 treble into the next 5 chain in the first row. Repeat from ### to the end of the row

Row 3. do 2 chain - turn your work, place a treble into the last treble of row 2. Do a further 3 treble, and then 1 chain. Do trebles into the tops of every treble in row 2, and do chains where you see the 1 x chain gap appear. Remember to put your last treble in each row into the top of the 2nd chain from where you turned your work to begin your previous row...

rows 4 - end - repeat row 3 until you reach the desired length of your blanket, and tie off at the end of the last row - & crochet tie off back through the stitches to hide.

Take the contrast colours, crochet long rows of chain - enough to measure the length of the blanket 4 x times.

weave them through the gaps in the blanket, making sure they all start & finish the same way - i.e. the rows look even.

At the end of each row - stretch the blanket gently to make sure the woven lines fit with the stretch capability of the blanket, and when all look even - cut the row of chain, and pull the threads to seal each thread. The threads should be slightly inside the confines of the blanket, & not outside. split the 2 threads you've crocheted the rows of chain with, and tie securely to the blanket at each end... as per picture 1 & the threads you see hanging.

okay..

the edging:

take the original colour, and start at 1 corner.

For the sides of the blanket - do 2 x double crochet into the side of each treble along the length of each side. At the end of each side, do 1 chain, and move onto the top & bottom edges. Do 1 double crochet into the top of every treble, and chain at the end of each woven strip along the top & bottom edges, making sure to catch in the ends of each woven thread underneath the double crochet stitches.

blanket-finished0606001.jpg

blanket-finished0606002.jpg

the next row.

change to your chosen contrast colour. do a double crochet into the beginning double crochet of any of the sides.

for the sides of the blanket - do three double treble into the space between the 2nd & 3rd double crochet from your hook, then do 3 chain, & 1 further double crochet into that same space. Repeat all the way along each edge.

For the top & bottom do the same grouping into every 3rd double crochet and finish off by joining to the top of the very first double treble by a slip stitch - tie off....

hope you like it...

Lawless :)

copyright M.Brown 2006 blah blah... :)

Hi!

Welcome to the forum from India!

I was just wondering...are you using US terminology or international? In other words, is your double crochet = US single crochet, your treble = US double and so on?

Thanks for the pattern!

Thanks for that beautiful pattern! I don't make afghans but appreciate the work that went into developing and writing this up, as well as the photos. Your explanation is very clear.:hug

Roli - thank you for your kind words ... :).. I didn't know the "style" of the blankets was called Afghan, so I have learned something today !.. :)..

Swapnae... I have no idea about the type of terminology I use... I didn't know there was American -v- International differences... wow!. To do a double crochet, I put my hook through the stitch, catch the wool & draw it back through to form 2 loops on my hook, then put wool over hook once & pull that thread back through the two loops to form the stitch.....

A treble for me is where I start out with a thread of wool over my hook, put hook through stitch, catch a thread & back through to form 3 loops over hook, & then put wool over hook & pull that thread through two loops, & repeat through last two loops....

which terminology am I using ?... can you tell me ?

I think you're using British terminology. Your treble crochet sounds like our double crochet. It's ok, though, it's a nice afghan and now that we're alerted to the difference, it shouldn't be much of an issue. :)

Thank you for your very very kind words....

reading the pattern again - just now - in the light of day (6.03 a.m.) - I just picked up an error...

on the sides of the blanket while doing the edging - for row 1 of edging - do

2 x double crochet into the side of every treble along the sides !..

please forgive me... :)..

I was preparing for a Lions Handover meeting yesterday writing speeches, but also playing hookey in this wonderland as well, so my brain wasn't fully engaged... :)..

Swapnae... I have no idea about the type of terminology I use... I didn't know there was American -v- International differences... wow!. To do a double crochet, I put my hook through the stitch, catch the wool & draw it back through to form 2 loops on my hook, then put wool over hook once & pull that thread back through the two loops to form the stitch.....

A treble for me is where I start out with a thread of wool over my hook, put hook through stitch, catch a thread & back through to form 3 loops over hook, & then put wool over hook & pull that thread through two loops, & repeat through last two loops....

which terminology am I using ?... can you tell me ?

British or International. Everyone except the US (and maybe the Canadians) uses the terminology that you use. For a lot of us, with the huge number of American patterns available free on the net, that means we can switch effortlessly between the two, just need to know which. :hook

In the end, all that matters is that you have the talent to design something and the kindness to share it.:hug

I am find it easy to swap between the two different terminologies. Sometimes it gets confusing if I forget where I found the pattern.

Lawless - if you are interested have a look at

http://www.crochetaustralia.com.au/webcontent3.htm

This is a really good site that I use often, it also helps when working out hook sizes on American patterns to what we use here

This site is not only good for us Aussies but for those in other Countries as well to help with conversions

PS - I love the blanket/afghan

Thank you so much for sharing the pattern! I use American stitch directions, but what you said is easy to follow.

I do have one question. After you weave the chain through the blanket, you cut the chain and then tie them around the last row of the blanket to keep them in place? That's the only part I'm not sure of.

Can't wait to try this! Yours is so pretty!

I am find it easy to swap between the two different terminologies. Sometimes it gets confusing if I forget where I found the pattern.

Lawless - if you are interested have a look at

http://www.crochetaustralia.com.au/webcontent3.htm

This is a really good site that I use often, it also helps when working out hook sizes on American patterns to what we use here

This site is not only good for us Aussies but for those in other Countries as well to help with conversions

PS - I love the blanket/afghan

thank you !... I greatly appreciate this !.. I must admit I"ve read patterns on the net, and because its been like 30 years since I learned first to crochet, I have no idea how to read them any more so this is just the best ! thank you!.

I do have one question. After you weave the chain through the blanket, you cut the chain and then tie them around the last row of the blanket to keep them in place? That's the only part I'm not sure of.

:)..

when I wrote that, I wrote & rewrote that bit heaps, and I still wasn't happy with it... I'm sorry for confusing you....

I'll try again... :)... When you crochet a row of chain, & cut through it - no matter which end - what you end up with is 3 "loose" endings..

1 is anchored back to the row of chain, and 2 of them are actually the dead portion of the stitch you've just cut.

Gently remove the un-anchored bit (a little piece about 1/4 inch or 4 mm long)... and pull firmly on the bit still attached to the work. You will see that it closes back up the row of chains, and creates a little fringey type ending of approximately 1 - 1/14 inches, or say - 25mm - 30 mm - for the aussies.

When you tie this off... remember your 2nd row and your last row of the blanket..

you have blocks of trebles, with chains in between, which form a "bar" for you to split that doubled thread in the woven chain, and to tie the weave row securely to the end of the blanket.. I hope this helps..

crochet a row of say - 20 chain with 2 pieces of wool together, and tie off - then practice cutting them - at each end - you will see you can re-seal the threads at each end... :).. its easy - I promise.. :)..

also - by counting your numbers of stitches across the blanket - you can fit whatever edging your heart desires - for little girls you can go lacey - for little boys - you can do the same stitch I showed you - but to heavy it up -you can go around a second time.. there are SO many options..

best of luck guys..

I love the afghan. It is very colorful and looks very warm.

We can use it down here when it hits 70 degrees F.lol:lol

Beautiful work and thanks for the pattern.:hook

check out the blanket for the baby girl thread for a full tartan woven version.....

later in the thread - I put a close up of the weaving.. & you'll see how amazing rows & rows of weaving look side by side...

the most amazing thing about the woven blankets, is the fact that they're not finished until you get to tie them off... i.e... you get to change your mind countlessly until you're happy - which is a luxury you don't have with a lot of craftwork without losing the thread, or weakening the work by unpicking & redoing..

hehe..

it is SO exciting to have the ability to choose & refine as you go along...

can you guess I love to crochet :)...

I have a really really different design started at the moment...

but its not big enough to show you how it will look...

soon though.. I'll get some pics & show you..

I did, I did (go check out your baby blanket thread!) I loved the pics of the weaving and how different colors can go together - and your bedspread is simply gorgeous! :nworthy:clap:yay Thanks for sharing :manyheart

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow missed this the other week. The blanket looks fabulous! The colours are very effective.

Archived