Shrug Along!!

I realized in retrospect that I should create this CAL so that more of us can participate and have fun! In that light, it's a general Shrug Crochet Along! :manyheart

So, here's my first attempt at starting a CAL. I'm not a pro like Julie, and I don't have her charisma, but I figured I'd do my best. :D

I need to make 3 of these! One for my mom for her birthday in June, one for my soon to be sis-in-law for Christmas, and one for myself (I'm last priority).

So here's a big shout out to everyone who want to make a shrug! C'mon and join in the fun!! :cheer

Some Links for Shrug Patterns:

fayettesmom (Robyn) has a pattern in our the links forum for a Spider Lace Shrug. $3/5 goes to the Susan G. Komen breast cancer awareness. I know a number of members here have purchased it, and one suggested that making a CAL out of it would be fun.

mrs who made up a set of schematics for making a shrug as well as an alternative version made from the same basic schematics! You can use any type of yarn, and any decorative stitch you want!

Fluffy Pink Shrug Schematics and Fluffy Blue Shrug

Empress Busy Bee kindly provided these links to shrugs for C'villers ISO shrug patterns

http://www.dianelangan.com/CrochetPatternFiles/websafenames/pinkshrug.html

http://hometown.aol.com/crochetmaryellen/page6.html

[/url]http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/projects/mar99_crochet.html

http://www.freepatterns.com/fp_pdfs/Other/Crochet/Chenille_Shrug.pdf

http://www.maggiescrochet.com/pages/Fashion/K365_color_waves_shrug_main.htm

http://www.dianelangan.com/free.html 3 here

flybabytina found the Holey Squares Shrug in response to a C'ville shrug pattern request

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

let me see what i can find that would strike my fancy. i did the mrs. who shrug for the crochet olympics and then had to make another one cause my daughter snatched it. my son has a new tiny pocket-sized girlfriend. i could always make something for her. it certainly wouldn't take much yarn.;) maybe one of the short sleeved ones this time around.:scrachin

:welcomeYay! Dazy you're my first shrug-buddy! :manyheart

I'm stuck trying to get my guage right. I send a private message to the designer, but haven't heard back yet. Perhaps someone else who has made the spider shrug knows the answer.

Does anyone know if the 4" x 4.5" is width x height, or height x width? Also, does anyone know if that measurement should include what appears to be a 10th row (first row repeating)?

I just started a Mrs. Who shrug last week. I'm using the stitches she used with a jewel tone varigated red heart yarn. So far I'm about 2/3 of the way done with the inititial rectangle.

.....I'm stuck trying to get my guage right.....
Hi, Enid! I'm still trying to get my stitch consistency down in the things I'm working, *then* maybe I'll be able to tell whether I even have a gauge, much less trouble with it! :rofl

But more seriously, I'd love to do one of these - they look so cute, and I've got several tween/teen friends who'd love 'em. JulieKay keeps us hoppin', so who knows when I'll get that shrug off my WIMind list and onto my WIProgress list, but in the meantime, I'll gladly follow your progress!:hug

Best of luck! (and how 'bout moving your shrug to the middle priority slot? could be good motivation......:c9 )

Welcome Mardar! Post some pictures for us when you get your rectangle done if you can! :)

Pplcrochets - You're very welcome to join in anytime you want to. :yes I'm actually thinking I may do mine first to work any self-inflicted bugs out. I'm hoping that it won't be too time-consuming.

I got an answer from the lovely author of the spider shrug. She says that the gauge is supposed to be 4" wide by 4.5" tall. Also the complete stitch diagram is used for the gauge. I miscounted the rows. :blush

Hi Jenskie! :)

There's a great post about what Crochet-Alongs (CALs) are here

The general gist is that a theme of some sort is picked and anyone who wants to make something in that theme can join in if they want to. Sometimes the same item can belong in 2 CALs. Like if you made a shrug in red/white/blue and were American you could join the Shrug CAL and the Patriotic CAL. We all cheer each other on, and some folks post pictures of their work in progress. The post describes it better than I can. :blush

Warning! CALs are addictive but fun!!! :hook

Ok, darnit! I'm in. It may be a little while before I start but I'm in if that's ok. I've been wanting to do one of Mrs. Who's shrugs for awhile now..so I guess this is it! I may be turning into a cal-aholic!:yarn

Theresa

I'm so in!! :hook I did a shrug-a-licious for the Crochet Olympics but the back turned out all funky and I wasn't happy with it at all. So this time around I'm going to do the Mrs. Who shrug, which is what I originally had intended for the CO. Now, to find the perfect yarn...:c9

Welcome Theresa! Welcome Stacy!

I'm very glad to have you both join in!

It's ok if you have to delay a while to start Theresa. I'm in the same boat with the Quilt CAL -- gotta find yarn on sale so I can start it!

I'm in for 3 shrugs myself, so I'm in for a long haul! :hook

I've been unusually lucky today with getting lots of time to crochet. :hook

This is my first project using simply soft, and my first shaped wearable. The only other wearable that I can remember that I've made from crochet was a scarf for my husband for christmas.

I'm doing the Spider Lace Shrug by Robyn. Other than some problems I've had because I was too tired and not paying attention, for the most part it's been fairly easy because she wrote out such nice clear instructions. Getting the gauge right was the trickiest part for me.

Here is a picture of the three colors I'll be using. The Victorian Rose is for mom, Orchid is for me, and Berry Blue is for my soon to be Sis-in-law.

Cville_SLS_Colors.jpg

I've gotten the back done (I think) prior to the sleeve shaping. I'm not 100% certain how it will come out, but I removed one repetition of the pattern because I have a narrow back. I'm hoping that when I finish the first sleeve it'll be clear if I boo-booed. Time will tell if a'froggin I will go! :2frog

Ok, darnit! I'm in. It may be a little while before I start but I'm in if that's ok. I've been wanting to do one of Mrs. Who's shrugs for awhile now..so I guess this is it! I may be turning into a cal-aholic!:yarn

Theresa

TOO LATE!! :D

very pretty colors, lady. i'm a sucker for the victorian rose.

i've decided on making the mrs. who, but with short sleeves and a narrow trim. i think it would be cute for summer to go over a tanktop. son has a new girlfriend, so i may see what color she likes and measure her. she's tiny like my daughter, so i could probably make one for each of them.

i made the original mrs. who when my MIL got sick and was in the process of passing. it kept me busy and i got it done in just a week and a half. of course that was working on it quite steadily. i did it in SS charcoal. i love the feel of it. like wearing a hug.:hug and i got the yarn on sale, so it cost less than $10.

Dazy - Good find on the yarn! I felt fairly confident that my mom would like the color as well. I thought she'd also like having it in the color for the breast cancer foundation (pink) as it would give extra meaning to the project.

I'd have used the same color for myself, but I thought we may feel a little silly wearing the same color, same pattern if we went out together. :D

Ok, I am stoked!! I want to do this sooo bad. I just need a really simple shrug pattern. I have so many half completed items, but I want a shrug for myself soooo bad!!

Thanks for posting the links. Will take a look see and decide what to do.

Berni:yay

Gorgeous colors! :manyheart I love SS. I may make my shrug out of that, too...I really should go through my stash and see if there's something in there already to use, but honestly- who doesn't love to shop for new yarn, right? Hee hee hee :devil

Welcome Berni! Welcome Olga!

I'm glad you could join in! :hook

Everyone! Post what pattern you decide to go with (even if we can't see a picture) and what yarns you choose. It'll make it easier to visualize the end result and how lovely it will be! :c9

I'm IN! Just the inspiration I need for a shrug I started and got about 2% of it done before it became a UFO... and it's NOT a UFO - it's really pretty - in WoolEase, a gray color, and it's from a book something like Victorian Crochet for Today... designers replicated patterns from old pictures of crochet garments and they are lovely!

ALL RIGHT!!!!!!!

<sigh> I need to join you ladies... I started a Mrs. Who Shrug for the Crochet Olympics and I ummm never finished it (hangs head in shame) I got soooo sick of all the sc's for the sleeve/tube that I ended up putting it down once I got the sleeves done.... <sigh again> It's in a pretty lilac color (Caron One Pounder) so it's not like I don't like it.... anyway, I want to wear my sweater already!!!!! (stomps foot) (mad at self for not having it done yet) I have like 4 or 5 rows of the body/ruffle done......

Count me in!

Tina

Archived