Shrug Along!!

paulette, i really like victorian style stuff. get going, girl. we'll encourage/bully you to finish it.:cheer

tina, if you got the sleeves done, the worst part is over. do like i did and use a more open stitch so it goes quicker. i think mine was done with a V stitch for the sleeves and the stitch on the pattern for the body of it.

welcome everybody that has decided to join us. we'll have some fun. i need to get to the store and check out the yarns. something soft and breezy for a young adult. go figure, i buy 9 skeins of yarn last week and none of them are right for this.:blush:yarn

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, do I qualify? I am making a bolero, which is just a fancy word for a shrug with the pattern I am using. I have finished everything but the trim on the sleeves. I have put it down because I got tired of looking at the yarn. I am in the middle of making 4 top type things for my grand nieces and after two completed, and this third one, I just got tired of looking at the yarn. I think this would make me finish it...

I would love to partecipate! I've wanted to do a mrs. who shrug ever since I saw her pattern, so this is a great occasion to spur me on on my first ever shrug and first ever CAL!

I hope I'll find a yarn as soft as yours, dazy!

i love the feel of it. like wearing a hug.:hug

...and I also need to find an open-ish stitch...

tina, i learn most of my stitches from annie's attic's stitching help section. but today, my computer is acting up and everytime i try to go there, it shuts down my IE and goes back to my desktop.:angry i've seen it somewhere else too. if i find it, i'll let you know.

cool, we've got more shrug buddies. knicknac, anytime i've looked at pattern sites, they always lump shrugs, sweaters, and boleros together. it's all the same to me. adri, the mrs. who is simple and pretty. it's more of a general way of making it and then you can decide what stitches you want to use depending on if you want it looser and more airy, or heavier and more sweater-y. it's the first wearable i ever made and now i've made 2. one with RH and one with SS. i REALLY need to go yarn shopping:blink .

Welcome Flybabytina - Just think you can join two (2) CALs for the price of one! You can also use this same project to join the UFO CAL! :D I know what you mean about single crochets taking so long. I just finished a 63" long x 48" wide blanket with the body comprised solely of single crochet! :eek I think it'll be a while before I do a large SC project again! Sounds like your shrug color is very close to mine. Mine is orchid by Simply Soft. :)

Welcome Twoqtgirls - Sure! It's ok if you can't join in right away! So long as there are shrugs to be crocheted, people will likely come and go thru this CAL. You're welcome to join in whenever you can. :)

Dazy - If I ever do another shrug for myself personally, I think I may go with something like a V-Stitch. It's simple, yet pretty. This spider lace is very pretty, but takes a lot of pattern reading! :lol

Welcome KnicKnac - Sure, I don't see why a bolero wouldn't qualify! I noticed in looking at some shrug patterns that some look like boleros. I think technically shrugs are all one piece, whereas a bolero may have set in sleeves? I'm not sure what the difference really is, but it's close enough in my humble opinion! (Don't forget the 2 for 1 CAL because it's a UFO too) ;) CALs are so addictive!!

Welcome Adri! - Any particular color you're thinking of going with?

Cool! I qualify!!!

Ok Lady of Roses - this bolero does have set in sleeves. But it was actually made in one piece, kind of like the Mrs Who shrug.

I will get it out and CAL!!!

Tamar - Does that mean you're sewing it up today? Then starting the 'edging'? :clap

I finished up one sleeve last night and I sort of tried it on for size. It's a tight fit but would look good over T-shirts. However, I figured that if I want it to look like the picture, it needs more give. So I added the pattern I left out before on the other side and am starting on the second sleeve.

I'm hoping to get circular knitting needles on Friday so that I can do the cuffs and collar with them instead of by crocheting them.

LADY~i can't even fathom doing a 63" x 48" in single crochet. my hands would snap off.

MARDAR~ with summer coming on, i think 3/4 sleeves would be nice.

SHRUG BUDDIES~everybody seems very enthusiastic. we're gonna knock these things out in no-time at all. :cheer:clap

If anyone is looking for different patterns, I have purchased a LOT of patterns from this designer on eBay. She sends them via e-mail and I've had no problems with printing them. They are very well-written and easy to follow patterns and I think they are very creative. Just thought I'd throw this in here since it fits the topic!

http://stores.ebay.com/Celebrity-Crochet-And-Crafts_Crochet-SHRUG-Patterns_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ3QQftidZ2QQtZkm

lol well can past shrugs count lol... I have already whipped up 3 1/2 shrugs this year working on that other half and started a 4th one here for my dds. And have 3 or 4 more on my list here.

For someone who wants to make a shrug and is a tad afraid of trying them.. The Lion Brand site has a great easy one done in Homespun yarn it only takes 2 skeins of yarn.. I did one for one for my dds and they loved it where she works.. I just added some more detailing on the edging of it... You know us hookers got to add something lol...

:manyheart:hook:manyheart

Paulette

But why buy a pattern when there are so many of them free online??

Lol I say that but have bought several books because of some shrugs in them lol.. Lisa Gentry also has some very nice shrug patterns on her website to buy by e-pattern

http://www.caneyladyscreations.com/

I have bought some of her patterns and they are very easy to read and have great pics of the stitches for those newbes to crocheting. Or just so you know if your work looks like it should.

:manyheart

Tamar - Does that mean you're sewing it up today? Then starting the 'edging'?

Yep, I sewed the sleeves and now am working on the ruffle on the sleeves.

lol well can past shrugs count lol... I have already whipped up 3 1/2 shrugs this year working on that other half and started a 4th one here for my dds. And have 3 or 4 more on my list here.

For someone who wants to make a shrug and is a tad afraid of trying them.. The Lion Brand site has a great easy one done in Homespun yarn it only takes 2 skeins of yarn.. I did one for one for my dds and they loved it where she works.. I just added some more detailing on the edging of it... You know us hookers got to add something lol...

:manyheart:hook:manyheart

is there a name for the shrug or is it easy to find on the site? i :manyheart easy patterns.

way to go, mardar.:cheer you work fast.

hummy, you've already done 3 and 1/2? wow! are they different patterns or the same one in different colors? i've done 2, but the first one i had to do pretty quick cause daughter was breathing on my neck waiting for it.

paulette, i've never bought an e pattern, but i've seen them on ebay. the prices are really pretty reasonable considering you don't have to buy a whole book or magazine for one pattern that ya like. i'm just not very good yet and i'm always afraid i'll buy something and then not be able to do it.

my keyboard is driving me nuts. the spacebar is sticking or something. my words keep running together. i guess you could say "i need my space".:P

Dazy - Yea, it sucked doing that much SC. It took me from 3/27 to 4/23. (Granted I worked on my husband's knitted ghan on the sly while he was at work as well :D )

Paulette - Thanks for the suggestion for an e-bay store with shrug patterns that are instant gratification purchases!

Darlene - I think it'd be hard to Crochet-Along with an item that's already done. ;) The 1/2 and 4th shrugs definately would be CAL-able. *grins* Thanks as well for another option for e-patterns.

Tamar - Yay! You're whipping that Shrug out mega fast! :cheer How long are you going to make the ruffles?

Shrug Buddies - I got the added pattern and my second sleeve done today. I sewed it up (made a boo-boo there, but unpicked the oversewn area). Now I've got to wait until Friday to get my circular needles to complete it. :yarn

DAZY

The shrugs I have done are all differnt patterns and different yarns... ONE I am working on I am winging the pattern on my own it has a fancy shell type edging around the body opening. Should be finished by the weekend.. I never have just one project going here lol.. And one I am working on is for dd's birthday which is the first part of May.. so been trying to do it without her knowing it.

Will take pics. I have some pics of the other ones I have done but don't know who to post a picture here yet...

:manyheart

Hi! I'd be willing to give it a go, but don't know if a shrug would look good on me. I'm 5'10" with, well, ahem, a larger size chest than the runway models. :blush Is there a "shrug", that would go down past waist level to maybe the hips? I saw the shrug-a-licious, but am also looking for something a bit different, too. :think Just don't want to look like someone wrestled and armband on a watermelon. :D I'm being selfish right now, and making things for me. I'm taking a break from crocheting for family and friends. Thanks for any suggestions. :)

Hello all!

I really want to be in this CAL but I have so many other UFO's I need to wrap up right now so I'll have to see how things go. However, I wanted to let you in on a little secret about that Who shrug. :hook (I love that shrug!)

I made one for my daughter around Christmas and these are the adjustments I made to save my sanity...

1. Instead of crocheting across the short side of the rectangle part of the shrug, I crocheted the longer side of the rectangle. I found that my rectangle was much more even (for some reason it seemed faster for me) that way.

2. Instead of using sc, I used a hdc. I even considered using the v stitch. I bet this shrug would look good with just about any stitch.

3. I will never make another Who shrug using Joann's Angelhair yarn. I kept having to go back and buy more yarn and the shrug ended up being sooooo heavy! Next time I'll go with a sport weight yarn for that thing.

One of these days I'll get the pic of the shrug up on my blog. :blush (It's been 5 mos already!)

I hope this is helpful to someone in some way. Happy shrug making!

Hi! I'd be willing to give it a go, but don't know if a shrug would look good on me. I'm 5'10" with, well, ahem, a larger size chest than the runway models. :blush Is there a "shrug", that would go down past waist level to maybe the hips? I saw the shrug-a-licious, but am also looking for something a bit different, too. :think Just don't want to look like someone wrestled and armband on a watermelon. :D I'm being selfish right now, and making things for me. I'm taking a break from crocheting for family and friends. Thanks for any suggestions. :)

I'll be honest Suzee, I'm not very good with "fashion" as a whole. I tend to wear simple stuff, and pratically have to be hand-held to get a specific type of item. So I'm afraid I won't be much use in suggesting a pattern type for you.

You may want to post an ISO thread on the patterns wanted forum. One of the more veteran members of the board with a much better eye than myself may have some great suggestions for you. :)

Lady of Roses...I don't follow the fashion either. Since I have 4 dogs, my usual attire is jeans and a shirt. :) It's just that sometimes things don't fit across my bustline and I get discouraged. I appreciate the tip, though. :ty

Well, don't feel bad. I'm not exactly 'normal' shaped either. At least you don't have to climb on chairs to reach stuff. :lol

I'm 5'2, have an actual hourglass figure (some sand is stuck in the middle these days tho ;) ) and let's just say I would've preferred if nature had made my hourglass a bit smaller. Oh, plus I have a narrow back, so it's hard to get a good fit, especially since I'm front-heavy. :blush

I say let's revolt! Next fashion show in New York, all of us will jump on the runway! :D Don't mind me...feeling rowdy and sleep-deprived. :yawn (giggle) Maybe I'd better put the mower away and take a nap? :think Lady of Roses...it is very nice to meet you. :yay

Archived