Shrug Along!!

very pretty, mason. when i made mine, i chained the lenghth of my arms, then made it as long as i needed it for the back. and i used a more open stitch so i didn't have as much to do. i've seen some patterns where you had to start at one wrist and make short rows to the other end. thats way too much turning for me. or you could do like i'm doing this time. i'm making a short sleeved one to go over a tanktop. come on, you know you want to jump in with us.:yes:cheer

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For a similar shrug pattern that is extremely well-written and very easy to make size adjustments to, they Eileen's Shrug-a-licious! http://www.hometown.aol.com/tepperleen/page6.html

Thanks so much sherry. Someone had mentioned it earlier or I might have said something. The hat-along never used any of my hat patterns, and I thought about saying something but chickened out.

Mason, you can try my pattern, but do trebles instead of dc. Not sure if that would help.

Ok, I decided to make the Polish sweater, or cocoon sweater. It is almost like a shrug. I have the back almost finished, and I am doing it in SS, in a light beige. It will have some black accents. I haven't made this before, so will see how big it is or small. Then go from there.

I feel better now that I have started at least!!

Berni :lol

the deciding is the hard part, berni. now you can get to work and have fun. can't wait to see it.

i started my short sleeved version of the mrs. who yesterday. i'm using RH plush in a denim color and a plain DC with a K hook. it's coming right along. i have about half of the rectangle done. then i'm going to put a narrow trim around it to just sorta finish it off. i'm thinking maybe a shell stitch trim. if it turns out right, i may make one for my daughter. this one is probably going to son's girlfriend.

have a glorious crochet day!!:cheer

OK, I'm having a bit of a dilemma. I wanted to work the Mrs. Who shrug cuz I think it's very cute, but...I want the shrug to have a ruffly bottom, but not the collar...I just want it to be plain, like this one-

http://www.modadea.com/patterns/LM0218.htm

But I'd like to make it long-sleeved. Does that make sense? So, what I'm wondering is...is there a way to work up the Mrs. Who shrug, with the ruffly thing at the bottom but not around the collar? :think

It's ok, Olga...I haven't even started on mine yet, either. I have the yarn in mind, and, if I end up not needing it for my daughter's Care Bears graph-ghan, then I can start this weekend. But if not, I'll have to wait until payday (which is thankfully next week!) to pick out my yarn. :blush

Yahoo!! Today I went :yarn shopping and found a great light green yarn for my shrug!! AND I found my crochet book full of stitches in one of my moving boxes!! So much luck, I'm so happy! Now I can start! :jumpyay

I'm putting my Mrs. Who shrug on hold for a while. I didn't sew the sleeves enough so it was too big in the back. I frogged 4 rows of ruffles. I find after I frog I like to take a break and come back to a project with fresh eyes and a fresh mood. I've started the lacey spider shrug, so I'm still in the CAL.

mardar~ sorry mrs. who gave you a hard time. give it a day or 2 and see if you like spiders better. glad you're still with us. :hug

adri~ wow, you had a great crochet day. found your book and got new yarn. how cool is that? :tup

olga~ i know how it is waiting to get yarn. and when you get to the yarn store, you are gonna have to make a decision :eek . thats always the hardest part for me.

stacy~ gee, i don't know anything about changing patterns. maybe instead of going around the neck, you could just go across the bottom part and then turn and go back. or something to that effect.:shrug

i only got a row or so done on mine today. had errands to run and other stuff to do.:( i guess slow is better than no progress at all.

I frogged my way-too-big shrug and am almost finished with the Moda Dea shrug (http://www.modadea.com/patterns/LM0202.htm). Have the body and sleeves made, the seams sewn, and am weaving in ends before I add the 4 rows of sc edge.....

Here's a pic of the finished item! http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sherryzzz/detail?.dir=74e5&.dnm=c1bdscd.jpg&.src=ph

I made it following the 34"/36" size instructions. I didn't really check the gauge before I started. I thought that the Light & Lofty would closely approximate the bulk of the two ModaDea yarns held together. Also, as I was running out of yarn, I only did two rows of sc crochet around the edges instead of the 4 rows called for in the pattern. It's a bit wide for me through the body (I wear a US S/M on top), but it will fit one of my two DDs or my DIL, so am quite happy with it! :yes

As for the Light & Lofty, I don't think I would do anything but the simplest of patterns with it if I used it again. It's too hard to see the stitches even using a large size hook.

very pretty, sherry. i know what you mean about the light and lofty. i made a shawl and if it had been anything but a "DC in the next space, chain 3" situation, i'd have pulled out my hair. that fuzzy stuff makes me nutz!:thair

way to go :clap:yay

Thanks, Dazy, that's what I was thinking, too. I guess all I can do is try and see how it turns out. :yes

I used Light and Lofty for a blanet once and I will never, never use that yarn again. It was so fuzzy and difficult to see the stitches. I am amazed that you used it for a wearable! :2rock

Ginger - That's a cute shrug! I rather like it myself and am eyeing it for a future project. I do hope Dazy was able to give you the kick in the pants you needed. ;) Welcome!

Welcome Knit-errant (Leigh)!

KnickKnac - Congratulations on finishing your shrug/bolero! It looks nice!! :clap

Welcome Antara! Shell stitch is very classic and pretty. :)

Cheryl - You're so tall and skinny! Lucky! If you used an open stitch like V-stitch, or maybe shells, perhaps the rectangle would go a lot faster for you?

Berni - Congratulations on finding your pattern and starting! It's always so agonizing deciding what project is most worth your time and money, isn't it?? I know it's rough for me!

Stacy - My only suggestion for if you only want ruffles at the bottom would be to sew up your shrug, do the ruffles as rows, and then maybe do at least a row or two of border around the top of the collar to make it have a finished appearance. Just how I think I would do it, I'm sure there are better suggestions out there.

Olga - You'll get started yet! I'm sure there will be some of us left when you're creating your shrug. I'm pretty sure I will be!!

Tamar - Frogging long rows sucks, I tend to want to take a break after frogging myself. How are you finding the spider lace shrug? I found that after I got the hang of it, I only needed to look at the pattern for the edges.

Sherry - What a cute shrug! I really like the colors. I made an afghan with very similar colors!

Shrug buddies - I finished my shrug on Monday night. I haven't gotten any pictures yet because I need my husband to snap a couple of shots of it when I'm wearing it. Onwards to shrug #2! (Same pattern, but in victorian rose simply soft).

way to go, lady on finishing number 1. :yay you are doing a total of 3, right? i'll still be working on my same one. i didn't work on mine today. it was WAY to pretty outside and we got my mower fixed (finally) and i spent the whole day outside mowing, weeding, and burning leaves and sticks in the firepit. got the cloth cover on my yard swing, too. now i have a place to crochet in the shade.:D in the summer, i have an awful problem with the out of doors. once i go out for something, i can't find my way back in. :devil

i promise to work on my shrug tonight during survivor and CSI.

Ok, having some trouble with the cocoon sweater. I finished the back, but then it says to bring up the corners and start crocheting. That is confusing, and there is no picture :( Will try to get back on this maybe over the weekend.

Berni

Way to go, Lady. :yay

Good luck with your sweater, Berni.

As for mine...I've decided to use Lustersheen. :eek I must be crazy...but I think it will be really pretty when it's finished. So, don't mind me...I'll be holding up the end of this shrug-along, seeing as how I won't be done until the end of the year. LoL :devil

berni, where is the pattern for your sweater? i can't imagine what they would mean by that, either.:think maybe someone more experienced could help you. we've got lots of those around here.

stacy, congrats on picking your yarn. i'm not familiar with lustersheen. i'll have to look at it next time i'm at a real yarn store. wallyworld doesn't have much of a selection, and with the price of gas, my trips 30 minutes north are few and far between. don't worry about bringing up the rear on this CAL. there are still some of us picking out yarns and patterns and finishing up other projects first, so we're gonna be here awhile.:cheer

Ok ...so I finally got started on the shrug...the only problem is I wanted to make it for me but guess who stepped in:think ..yeap...the one and only Kelyana...my grandaughter....since she lost the first one I made her. Her parents took her to the circus and it fell behind the bleachers and she found out too late...lol..oh well...I chose Bernat softee baby in baby denim and pale blue....lets see what happens...:hook

Aww Olga, that's so sweet of you to make another for her. The colors sound very pretty. I love blues. :c9

Thanks for the reassurance, Dazy. Our Walmart has a pretty dinky selection as well. Lucky for me, there is a Jo-ann's 2 doors down. LoL Lustersheen is more of a thread, I think....it's classed as 2-Fine. I'm doing the body in a v-stitch, though, so hopefully it won't take as much time or yarn! Hee hee :hook And I'll have plenty of time to work on it in the car this weekend- we're going to my niece's first communion, and they live 4 hours away. :eek You can bet I'm taking plenty of projects with me. LoL

Here is a photo of the yarn I bought for my mrs. who shrug:

141445717_b759f588b2_m.jpg

It is a thick-and-thin yarn (slubby?), which I've never used before. I made a swatch of double crochet but it was very airy. I think a simple stitch will be better than a complicated one, to show off the natural texture of the yarn, I'm thinking of single or half double crochet. Any suggestions on using this type of yarn combined with different stitches?

Hi, the website for the pattern is www.gramma.tiker.net/cocoon_sweater

I am stuck on row 17. AGH!!

I was on a roll too! Anyways, can't work on it right now, got to wash our cabients in the kitchen. WE are painting them soon.

Talk to you all later

Berni :D

here is a piece i found explaining it a little better (i think) here's the explanation and the link:

The sweater is crocheted in one piece, starting with the back. You crochet a rectangle for the back, then you bring the corners together at the underarms and join them. You then crochet in rounds to make the shawl collar, the sides, and the bottom. After you finish this portion, you attach yarn at one of the underarms and crochet the sleeve in rounds, then repeat for the other sleeve.

http://ledzeplisa.blogspot.com/2005/04/cocoon-sweater-aka-polish-sweater.html

hope this helps. it even gives some pictures.

Here is a photo of the yarn I bought for my mrs. who shrug:

141445717_b759f588b2_m.jpg

It is a thick-and-thin yarn (slubby?), which I've never used before. I made a swatch of double crochet but it was very airy. I think a simple stitch will be better than a complicated one, to show off the natural texture of the yarn, I'm thinking of single or half double crochet. Any suggestions on using this type of yarn combined with different stitches?

wow, thats some little stuff. thats almost thread. it would take alot of single crochets. if you don't want it too airy, either of them would look nice. how's that for no help at all?:think it's going to look delicate when you get it done.:cheer

Archived