Early Christmas present ideas

Yep, I'm already starting to think about Christmas. I have 10 women and 8 men in my family that I want to make gifts for. Ranging from a preteen (girl), teenager (girl) to my 65 year old MIL.

I would consider myself an advanced beginner, I have decent speed, but I'm not super fast which is why I need to start working on stuff now. This past Christmas all the women in the family received pashmina style wraps, so I don't think I want to do any shawls/wraps this year, (although the two young girls might like something like that).

Anyone have any suggestions for good Christmas presents? I'm mostly looking for women gifts. If I don't have time for the men, they'll be happy with yummy Christmas treats.

Thanks!

you could do hat/scarf/mittens or glove sets. Or you could do handbags with matching cell phone holders. If you do thread, doilies are always a hit, a set of three with matching coasters. Towel toppers with dishrags are fast too. maybe a kitchen or bathroom theme for something different.

My vote is for felted bags! You could make them small in funky, bright colors with attached flowers for the younger girls to carry as purses. For the older women, you could use some toned down colors and make them a bit larger for either a purse or a tote bag (makes a yarn yarn tote!). I recently made my grandmother one and she LOVES it!! I can make a small one out of one ball of Paton's Merino!! It's a gift, easy, and always a favorite kind of gift.

Donna

That's exactly when I was going to say: felted bags. the skills needing to produce the bag are minimal, the process fun to undertake, and the results suprisingly classy and timeless.

Here's a how I recently made a nice "bucket bag." I used a K hook, 1.5 100g skeins of Naturespun (around 400 yds, Color 1) and 1. 5 50g skeins of Knitpicks Wool of the Andes (around 170 yds, Color 2). Total yarn cost $15 with a lot leftover (enough to make a small purse out of the same colors).

First, I made a rectangle for a base:

Ch 47, hdc in 3rd loop from hook, hdc across, chain 2, turn work, continue in hdc rows until you have 12 rows.

Then, the body:

Continue around the corner by putting 3 hdc in the corner stitch and putting hdc in your turning chains on the short side, 3 hdc in the next corner, hdc in your chain, 3 hdc in the next corner, hdc in your turning chains on the other short side, and 3 hdc in the last corner. Don't worry if your stitches are slightly unevenly spaced on the short sides -- the felting will make all these stitches invivible anyways.

Continue going around and around your rectangle without increasing in the corners (just put on stitch into every one stitch you've already made.)

When you have 10 rows, switch colors and do 12 rows of your second color. Then another 10 rows of your first color.

To finish off, slip st the last 3 stitches and tie off.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm doing granny square bags.. putting two together and put fabric on the inside i'm also making matching cell phone covers to attact to it and a chapstick or lighter cover keychain along with a mad money keychain purse for the girls on my christmas list the older ladies are going to get 10 or 12 " granny square bags and the girls are going to get 7 " Flower granny square bags :)

Just an idea

Tami:hook

I vote for the felted bags. My nieces and SILs loved them for Christmas last year! :manyheart

My sisters are both getting felted totes (different Marlo patterns) for Christmas--one is 3/4 done already. I also have plans to make them both Christmas tree skirts because I linked to a couple from Rachel's CPC site that I liked, but I haven't bought the yarn for these yet. One sister's birthday is just before Christmas, so I asked her how she felt about doilies (Katchkan inspired me with her gorgeous creations!), and she'd love some for her 2 end tables and coffee table. Last year they got scarves, and one and her hubby also got a lapghan, while the other and her daughter got scrunchies (so much fun to make!). If I have time, I may fool around with some decorations, too--stockings, for example. I've already made 3 small red/green/white wreaths for me to hang somewhere. Thank goodness (and Rachel) for CPC!! It's so easy to find so many great patterns on so many different websites this way! Patty

ETA My friend M wants a felted tea cosy that was in one of the crochet mags late last year or early this year. That might be a good idea, too.

Thanks for all those great ideas! Last year our family did a 'Secret Santa' exchange, and it went really well. Looks like we're doing it again this year. So I'm going to wait to find out whose name I pull, and then I'll make that person something special. I hope its a woman though, I have a bunch of stuff I'd like to do! But now that I won't be doing something for everyone, I can start some of those ideas for me :hook

:dance

I like to crochet pot holders, rosette fashion pins, kitchen hanging towels, door knob hangers, candy caddies, pincushions, scarf & hat sets and purses for gifts. Check ebay and "crochet pattern central" for unusal patterns and ideas.

:hook

How about sachets, as many as you want for each loved one. How about a decorative pillow?

My super wonderful MIL makes one or two gift afghans per year, and you just have to wait til your year comes up to receive yours. They're worth waiting for.

• 9 months later...

felted bags....they are great! I am thinking of making those for next year too! all my female and male rellies got hats and scalves this year....so bags are good for the females but not sure what to do for the men...father inlaws are hard to find gifts for! :)

Archived