Does anyone else take crochet with you everywhere?

Question: Some of you mentioned being able to crochet without looking at your hands. Can you REALLY hook along without looking at your hands?!? I've been crocheting off and on for the last 10 years and can't do it. I'd LOVE to learn how!!!

It depends on what it is. If I doing an sc potholder I can. If I am trying to follow some intricate pattern then I can't.:)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Guys

This has been a fun thread to read ,and never at a more perfect time . Today, i drove to an outlet mall that is quite a ways from our house . I get there at 9 AM . Guess what ? They didn't open til 10 . One hour to kill .

With the price of gas, I thought it'd be stupid to drive clear home, plus by the time I GOT home, I'd have to leave to come BACK to the mall .

No hook in the car. No yarn . No book to read .

This mall is out in the middle of NOWHERE . No store within miles that sells craft supplies .

Guess what I did ? I am very antsy when I have to sit still with NOTHING to do ... drives me BATTY .

I drove over to a big gas station ( this was right off the highway ) and annointed myself Official Welcome to Ohio Greeter .

It was pretty fun, telling all the out of state people WELCOME to Ohio .

Now get this : I am 48 . If I told my mom I did this, she'd STILL be yelling at me . THEY'RE GONNA FIND YOU DEAD IN A DITCH . DON 'T TALK TO STRANGERS .

I had fun . :D

But I learned my lesson .

An Emergency Crochet Bag is going to be in the car by morning . That's a little safer than gretting people along the highway I guess !

no, I can't say I take my crochet everywhere but usually when I go to pick up my grandchildren (they live 1 1/2 hr ferry ride away from me.) I love thread crochet the best and I used to take it on airplane trips but in recent years since 911, steel crochet hooks are now banned on airplanes and I've never been able to find any acceptable type small enough for thread. Any ideas??

I was just getting ready to post a message very similar to this topic. I take my crochet with me almost every where. In fact, my son is in 9th grade and played basketball this year. His team was always the second team to play. SO I had to sit through one game before I would get to see his team play. I always brought my crochet to kill time while I was watching the first game. My 11 year old son would not sit with me because it is embarrassing to him!! lol He said--you act like an old lady. :eek

Every Saturday I take my 11 year old to his bowling league. Usually I just drop him off, but his week I thought I'd come in to watch him. He said--you can come in but you can't crochet. LOL Poor kid! I went in to watch him--crochet bag stayed in the car.

no, I can't say I take my crochet everywhere but usually when I go to pick up my grandchildren (they live 1 1/2 hr ferry ride away from me.) I love thread crochet the best and I used to take it on airplane trips but in recent years since 911, steel crochet hooks are now banned on airplanes and I've never been able to find any acceptable type small enough for thread. Any ideas??

Oh my, that is a problem! Hmmmm! For thread, any other hook would be too big...

I'm afraid I'm no help....But you do have my sympathy!

Crochet books and magazines to the rescue.:yay

I was just getting ready to post a message very similar to this topic. I take my crochet with me almost every where. In fact, my son is in 9th grade and played basketball this year. His team was always the second team to play. SO I had to sit through one game before I would get to see his team play. I always brought my crochet to kill time while I was watching the first game. My 11 year old son would not sit with me because it is embarrassing to him!! lol He said--you act like an old lady. :eek

Every Saturday I take my 11 year old to his bowling league. Usually I just drop him off, but his week I thought I'd come in to watch him. He said--you can come in but you can't crochet. LOL Poor kid! I went in to watch him--crochet bag stayed in the car.

Now, that's rough...crochet or child???? Hmmmm!

My oldest is going to be 11 in June. He's been around it so long, that he doesn't even bat an eye. But he's also not a jock so that may make a difference. When his friends come over, they sit down with me to see what I"m making now. They usually express surprise when I've gotten so far on a project.

When I'm crocheting at school, I usually end up with a few kids around me asking me what I'm making.

When my 9 year old was in bowling at our old house last year, he also was so used to me bringing crochet...that it never bothered him. As long as I was watching when he made a strike, he didn't care if I watched anyone else.:manyheart

I try to remember to take a small project bag with me, usually a gallon ziplock of scraps and hair bands so that I can make scrunchies. But my 20 month old makes it too hard to really do much, and my DH makes me drive everywhere, so I'm getting tired of lugging it around.

Question: Some of you mentioned being able to crochet without looking at your hands. Can you REALLY hook along without looking at your hands?!? I've been crocheting off and on for the last 10 years and can't do it. I'd LOVE to learn how!!!

I can hook without watching my hands. But it has to be very easy patterns. Dc, sc, hdc patterns.... I don't even remember teaching myself how really. I just watch TV shows like CSI and got used to looking up at the screen instead of my hands.

I haven't gotten into making a lot of wearables. It would be hard to do that with wearables or thread doilies. Mostly it's just afghans and simple things like dishcloths or potholders.

LOL Everytime we get a new cop on the night patrol, I get "busted" as a suspicious vehicle (I tend some stray kitties at the apartments I moved out of, so I sit there in the semidark parking lot everynight, crocheting while they eat).

I keep an XL ziplock with the extra yarn, hooks, and the afghan I'm working on in the car. If I have to sit for hours somewhere (tending kitties, doctor's office, car repair, etc) I've got it ready and waiting.

I'm at that 'awkward age'. The kids in the ER waiting room think I'm old, the old people think I'm young and both watch me work. Apparently I'm more entertaining than the television ...

But many people can't hold still...my middle child has Asperger's Syndrome (high-functioning autism). The school gives him a squeeshy ball to play with while he listens in class. He gets bored since he's very smart. The ball occupies his hands.

My eldest child has AS too and I know what you mean about not being able to keep still. I might have to suggest the ball idea to his school- he is constantly coming home upset because he's been told off for playing with his pencil or fidgiting.

I definitely take a project or something crochet related everywhere I go! I don't always get to work on anything, but I hate to sit with nothing to do, so I always leave the house prepared!

Laurie:hook

ok, yeah, I'll admit it, I DO take my crochet with me...even camping. You can find me sitting at the camp fire crocheting my little heart out :D

I can't stand camping, so I can totally see where crocheting would make it so much more bearable <LOL>...

ok, yeah, I'll admit it, I DO take my crochet with me...even camping. You can find me sitting at the camp fire crocheting my little heart out :D

I do this too... I totally forgot about this one. I'm very careful to wash the smoke out. I also crochet on the river beach up camping while watching my husband play with my 3 kids. :manyheart

... At least I don't make calls on my cell phone during church - yes, I sat next to a young girl who did just that.

A guy did that in the row ahead of me last week. I about fell over from shock! :eek:lol

i always keep a WIP in the car to work on whenever i am just sitting in the car. i bought a snapware yarntainer just for that... it is big enough to hold a hook, a couple of skeins of yarn and sometimes the WIP itself. (i almost always have a yarncutter pendant around my neck!

and if i have an appt... i just take the yarntainer with me... i don't usually carry a purse... but if i did, it would probably have a WIP in it!:hook

I always take my crochet with me but it backfired once.

My husband and I were invited to another couple's home for drinks and dinner.

After dinner, while we were having coffee and talking, I started working on a sock. It was an easy pattern and I was keeping up with the conversation while crocheting.

Suddenly my yarn was ripped out of my hands by the female host telling me that I was very rude to do this in her home.

I sheepishly (hee! yarn...sheepish) put away my project and felt a little uneasy for the rest of the evening. Needless to tell you, I don't see these folks much these days.

Now I ask first if I am in someone's home but the majority of people say "Go ahead!"

Archived