Does anyone else take crochet with you everywhere?

I often wonder if I'm the only one who takes crochet with me everywhere.

I carry a larger purse just to hold a skein of yarn, scissors, and a crochet hook.

If all else fails, I take granny squares or hats with me. I can do them mindlessly....

I take crochet with me to church, in the car, waiting at doctor's offices or even waiting to pick up my boys after school.

My family is so used to it, that if I forget...they think I'm sick.:hook

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bring some sort of knitting or crochet with me about 50% of the time.

I work on it waiting at the doctor's, waiting to pick up my daughter from school, and I always make sure I have something for long car rides. One of the sickest examples, I think, is when my husband and I were ushers for a friend's wedding. Being that I was one of the groomsmen, I was invited to the bachelor's party and I was sitting there, in the middle of a strip club with a bunch of guys... knitting.

I do the same.

I always bring crochet with me to work as I usually have at least 3 hours of downtime throughout the day (spread apart of course) and need something to do!

I also try to always bring something I'm working on with me where-ever I go. If I'll be in the car for awhile I bring small projects. I haven't yet brought them to Dr. offices but I always have a crochet mag with me to look through while waiting.

2 weeks ago when my DH's oldest niece got married I was crocheting in the car during the 2 hour drive. When we got to his uncles house (we were following him to the wedding from his house) I was itching to get my crochet as we were about 45 mins early and were forced to sit in the living room while we waited for him to get ready. DH would not let me go out to the car to get my crochet because he said it was rude. Please! We're just sitting there doing nothing!

Whenever we go over the In-Laws I ALWAYS have my WIP tote with me. You never know when you'll need something to do.

I have a skein of cotton yarn and a hook in the car, I've frogged it a few times trying to figure out what to make, but I got a granny square going with it now. Maybe it will be a cotton throw when I am thru, lol! I crochet when I am waiting to get my daughter or whatever. :hook

I think this is a good time to defend why I have so many WIPs. I keep a bag in the car so that if I find myself waiting somewhere I have something to keep me busy. I keep a small project at work to play with at lunchtime. I even take a project to work on in Sunday School. And there's usually something very small that can fit into my purse, so that if I'm standing in line somwhere I can still knit or crochet. Eventually, everything gets done, so I don't feel the least bit guilty about having so many things going at once.

Guest Catlizg

LOL - I can tell I'm now "hooked" on crochet. We went across the border to Fort Erie, Canada this weekend - about a 45 minute ride each way. I brought some new cotton yarn I had picked up and worked on crocheting some dishcloths. In fact, the border guards were laughing at me cause I never put my work down while we were talking to them. God, I love this habit, er, I mean, craft!

I was crocheting in the travel agency yesterday while my husband was setting up arrangements for our trips to the states next month. Got a square for the 63 More Crochet Afghan in the time we were there...

I'm sure I'll be crocheting in the airport and on the 10 hour flight to the west coast at some point.

I always have several projects going at one time. At least one is always a "to go" project with motif's or mile a minute. LOL I almost NEVER leave the house without at least one project, my only lament is that I often drive myself where I need to go and cannot drive and crochet! Ha ha!

Katie:cat

I always carry a project with me. I do hair, so in between clients, or while their color is processing, I get in a few stitches. If I forget my crochet at home, I wont know what to do with myself.

I usually carry my project or a book to read with me. I have anxiety attacks when I have to wait or caught in traffic. I find that if I can keep my mind busy with something else it helps.

I take my crocheting with me to doctors visits, in the car in case I'm not driving. I take it with me unless I'm going to get grocerys. If we go over night some where I take it in with me. I can crochet and visit to.

Marlene

i crocheted my way through my mom's brain surgery and hospital stay. i don't know what i'd have done with my hands otherwise. probably crammed them inmy pockets and paced a hole in the floor.

I take my crochet or knitting almost everywhere. When we head out on an hour and a half drive to the zoo, one small project goes with me. For long road trips, I have at least three or four with me, and usually come home with one or two more...:blush I took my knitting needles and scarf yarn to the dr's office today. That's a change from my usually hook and yarn--and my dr says, "I thought you were perfectly happy crocheting." My reply: "I still am, but I like knitting, too." :D

When I visit my mom's or my sister's, I usually take a big WIP along to work on while we visit. My aunt and I compared projects, yarns, and stitches while visiting my mom in the hospital about a month ago!

Oh, yeah, almost forgot. For my youngest two kids, I crocheted in L&D and in my room while recovering. Talk about hooked!! :lol

I take crochet with me everywhere. Anytime I go anywhere I take it---to Reno, to Disneyland, to the doctor, I even crochet while my dh takes me to Walmart or JoAnn's to but more yarn( if I can con him into taking me! :devil ) My daughter FINALLY had her baby (a little girl they named Emma Annmarie) and while at the hospital while she labored away I made 4 dishcloths! I even had extra cotton and hooks so her mother-in-law crocheted a few also. There we were crocheting while Karlena managed to get through 23 hours of natural childbirth. She did roll her eyes at us a few times. And we did stop while she actually pushed. :)

Absolutely! Everywhere I go. Whatever I'm working on; except for the huge chenille afghan I made for a friend, but I was also working on a poncho & hat set for my niece at the time, so I took it around instead.:heehee

I used to carry a book wherever I went. But crocheting tends to start conversations with strangers a litttle better, which I enjoy. They always want to know what it is, if its knitting or crocheting, etc.

Yes, I take my crochet every where. I take easy stuff along for waiting rooms, like dishcloths or squares. I tend to talk to people in waiting rooms, and I would get confused if I was crocheting harder stuff there. I plan ahead for vacations and planes. We are going to visit relatives in Florida next week, and I am bringing along yarn to make easy booties and baby hats. I can't stand just sitting doing nothing. I read at bedtime, the rest of the time I crochet away. I could never read in a car, but crocheting doesn't make me feel car sick.

OF COURSE!!!! :lol Sometimes life is so busy the only time I get to crochet is in the doctor's office, car trip, etc. When I look at some of my completed projects they remind me of a certain trip or being in a specific place since I crocheted so much of the project while there. Probably the only place I've NOT crocheted is while standing in line. I have to be sitting.

:hook:hook

You know you are "home", when you aren't the only one who takes crochet everywhere.:c9

This is great hearing everyone's stories. Keep it up.:cheer

My dh always knows I get "disappointed/frustrated" in the car when the afghan is too large to turn anymore. So sometimes on long car trips, I start another afghan...just because I can't turn the first one anymore and I have to finish it at home.

I too love to hear people's comments. What are you making? Is that knitting?

But my favorite is my dh...he watches me while we are watching TV. He laughs and says "You aren't even watching where your fingers are." I'll be watching TV and my fingers are flying along. He gets a kick out of that.

My hubby asks me if I want to "watch TV" (translation: do you want to listen to what I'm watching while you crochet/knit) or if I want to play a game (PS2 or X-Box) after the kids go to bed.

I love my hubby! :c9 He not only recognizes my need to relax with yarn and hook or needles, but he also knows the difference between the two!

Archived