Does anyone else take crochet with you everywhere?

I usually take crochet with me on most road trips and to work. I bring my lunch to work just to be able to sneak in at least 30 minutes of crochet-time. :)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not only do i take it EVERYWHERE...i usually have more than one bag of WIPs!!! i even take sweaters i'm recycling!

in reply to crochetting in line...i can totally do that! and my hubby totally doesn't get it...how i can crochet and watch tv, he swares it's not possible, even tho i've totally proved him wrong!

This thread has me laughing tonight. Due to the fact that I had an old hook and some yarn in my desk, a co-worker made an original design baby sweater one night. She was working late on a project and about to bounce off walls. (I don't remember the details now, but they had to wait a long period for information.) I handed her yarn and a hook. I found a baby sweater on my desk the next evening.

I always have crochet projects with me. I can't walk out the door and not have a project. I don't care if it's the doctor's office, school parking lot, speech therapy or anywhere else... I must crochet! :hook

**Storytime**

When I was in labor with my son my blood pressure was really high (I was induced and it went badly) and the doctor was getting nervous about my stress/blood pressure level :thair. So I told my hubby to go home and grab my crochet binder and my tote bag of yarn/crochet supplies. My hubby came back half hour later and 10 minutes after I started crocheting my blood pressure was normal :manyheart. The power of crochet.... btw my son is now 2 1/2 years old and one heck of a handful!:D

>> I wonder if they'll let me take my crochet in pre-op? I'm telling them no IV's where it will interfere with my hooking. <<

LOL -- that is exactly what I did last Wednesday when I was checked into day surgery for my cataract surgery (I was going under full anesthesia because of Meniere's disease). There I was, in bed, crocheting while the nurse took my vitals and put the bracelets on. Then there was a bit of confusion when they had to put me at the end of the list for that morning due to waiting on one last test result. All the while, I kept on crocheting. :-D

I did have to put my hook and yarn away when they finally came for me to take me into the OR.

But, from the time I first checked in to when they came for me, I was able to start and finish the Tahitian Poncho for my DD using Caron Cozi. That had to be the fastest I have ever done any project. But, it came out perfectly.

I am also one of those who never leave the house without my crochet tote. It is only big enough for one skein of yarn and a hook and a copy of the pattern being worked on, and goes everywhere I go. (I use one of those pendant yarn cutters). My DH even picks it up and carries it for me into and out of the van and any location we go inside that will have waiting time. :-)

I had to reply here:) I too carry a ball of thread , a hook and the pattern in my bag/purse:) My bag is falling apart read as the main snap button is off and the zips in the inner compartment is not working but I still carry it cause it has tons of space for my crochet! I will try to post a pic of it later. My hubby tried to get me another bag but I haven't seen anything even remotely close as this bag! Yesterday while at the PO waiting for my hubby to grab some philatelic stamps I brought out my granny square and started working on it and sure enough a lady sat beside me watching at first and then taking the square from me and examining it:) She said "oh granny square" and I was thrilled that she knew it was a granny square! I never leave home without my crochet!!

hugs

Vims

well funny that i'd log on right now and see this post. I was just packing some stuff to take with me tomorrow to work 'cause I found myself with an hour and a half lunch today and NOTHING to do... I was cursing that I didn't have my crochet with me - or a book to read - nothing. I was ready to go grab a stick and whittle it into a crude crochet hook and unravel my own sweater just so I could use the yarn and have something to do. I just packed three books, a full set of hooks, and enough yarn to make a nice... a nice whatever it is I decidet o make tomorrow 'cause I'm going back to the same place...

So, no, I don't take my crochet everywhere but I'm gonna start!

I usually take a project with me if we're visiting family- I can crochet and talk so I don't see it as rude. Also if we're going to be travelling anywhere for more than half an hour I will take a small project in the car with me.

When I go to other places I usually have the kids with me and since they need a lot of watching I don't tend to take a project with me.

I also always carry whatever I am working on around the house with me- if I'm watching the kids in the bath I will be sat on the bathroom floor crocheting. My husband is so used to seeing me with a project in hand that when I'd left in in my bedroom the other day he was asking where me where my yarn was :lol

That's why I skipped up to Square #61 for the 63 Square crochet along <g>. I was bringing my crocheting with me somewhere and needed a simple square to do while yakking with friends. I find bringing crocheting with me is a life-saver for those long waits at the doctor's office. I've brought it in the car for long rides. I've even brought it to work with me for long waits while running programs after hours. I was working on a sweater at the time and I ended up using the boss' large meeting table to measure my progress <LOL>.

Count me in.

I have a bag that I take or I have a couple of large sized ziplocks that carry different projects in them that I can grab and go with them.

I took a bag full of yarn to the hospital with me a few weeks ago when I went in to have the baby. My husband laughed but it helped pass the time once he was born.

I even take a project to work on in Sunday School.

Mudpie, what sort of reaction do you get to this?

My husband is my SS teacher, and I asked him if he would be offended if I crocheted during class. He said no, but he worried that the others would be distracted by my activity. I still haven't tried it yet, but I'm thinking about it!

I'm wondering if I could get away with crocheting during the sermon. That's bad, isn't it? I feel terrible about it, but my mind often wanders to crochet anyway.

losingmymind2, that's great! :lol

I didn't used to take my crochet stuff when I go places, but these days I usually have a plastic bag with yarn, pattern and a couple of hooks with me wherever I go. It's easier that way. And like denny said earlier, it does help combat anxiety. :hook

Mudpie, what sort of reaction do you get to this?

My husband is my SS teacher, and I asked him if he would be offended if I crocheted during class. He said no, but he worried that the others would be distracted by my activity. I still haven't tried it yet, but I'm thinking about it!

I'm wondering if I could get away with crocheting during the sermon. That's bad, isn't it? I feel terrible about it, but my mind often wanders to crochet anyway.

Natasha, I totally crochet during church services. That way I'm not as sleepy, and I actually listen more. The only thing is that I don't take something where I have to look at the pattern often. Because then I can't listen to what whoever-is-on-the-pulpit is saying.

I have gotten a few comments, but only 1 has been disparaging. The rest are usually: oh that's neat. :lol

Not having to watch the TV while my husband has the clicker in his hands, is one of the great things about crochet. I can be in the same room with him, but not have to watch as he surfs from one sporting event, war movie, etc. to another. I can happily be there making baby sweaters, holiday-themed decorations or afghans. Life is good.

not only do I take a project with me every where I go,:D I leave one in the car at all times, :hook(part of my stash is in the car to), three at my camp,:devil 2 at work:) I also carry a case of hooks and some yarn:manyheart

I crochet everywhere I go, I even take it to work with me and because of that all the nurses wanted to learn how to crochet so I told everyone what to get and started them all off with learning the chain and now 2 months later, everyone finished there first project (scarf's) and we have our own crochet corner everyday at lunch.

So great to be among friends....Keep it going everyone!

I totally forgot about in the house...Yep, when my dd is playing in the tub, I crochet sitting on the "closed throne" watching her.

When my kids are playing at a park, I sit at the bench and crochet while keeping an eye on them. I'm blessed with 2 older boys and a little girl and my boys are great about watching their sister and playing with her at the park play equipment.

Church: I crochet before Sunday School and before the sermon. I'm usually busy helping my kids sit still, so I'm not able to crochet during.

But many people can't hold still...my middle child has Asperger's Syndrome (high-functioning autism). The school gives him a squeeshy ball to play with while he listens in class. He gets bored since he's very smart. The ball occupies his hands.

I know I'm completely addicted to crochet because I keep a project in my car (usually one for Project Linus) just in case I have to sit in traffic or at an appt., I have a project next to my bed, just in case I wake up and can't go back to sleep, I also have a project in the living room to to while I'm watching TV. These don't take into account the many UFO's I have just waiting for me to finish them!:hook

I've only had one older woman say something derogatory. Most comments are positive. We get an outline of the sermon in our bulletins with some blanks to fill in during the sermon. The pastor thinks it reinforces ideas when we participate. I just use a different kind of participation. Like another said, I usually take something that doesn't require looking back and forth at a pattern. I don't think I'm much of a distraction for others, although my mother tsk tsks and says that she taught me better. At least I don't make calls on my cell phone during church - yes, I sat next to a young girl who did just that.

I too take my crochet everywhere with me. I would feel absolutely lost without it and would not know what to do with my hands:hook Crocheting and knitting is what keeps my sanity:laughroll :jumpyay:woo Believe me I need something to help.

I try to remember to take a small project bag with me, usually a gallon ziplock of scraps and hair bands so that I can make scrunchies. But my 20 month old makes it too hard to really do much, and my DH makes me drive everywhere, so I'm getting tired of lugging it around.

Question: Some of you mentioned being able to crochet without looking at your hands. Can you REALLY hook along without looking at your hands?!? I've been crocheting off and on for the last 10 years and can't do it. I'd LOVE to learn how!!!

I take a project with me any time I go anywhere that I might have to wait ... if I'm just running to the grocery store then no, but bank? doctor's office? any type of road trip, even just to the outlet mall in the next town? You betcha! I'm a dreadfully impatient person so it really helps me to have something to do with my hands, and it's amazing how much you can accomplish a few stitches at a time.

I do! (Much to my mom's embarrassment: if we are sitting in a doctor's waiting room the only way I can keep reasonably still is if I am crocheting. She has told me that people will think I am an old lady:lol )

Archived