Ponchos out??

I have a question: Do you think ponchos are "out"? Or would you like to see more patterns for ponchos and shawls? If so, what kind of patterns would you like to see? And what age group? Babies, children, teens, adults? Just curious. I'm trying to think of something new to design. Any ideas? Thanks!! :hook

Hi Shelle!

I don't think ponchos are out - I teach high schoolers, and they still wear them pretty often. I think we'll see more of them as spring and summer comes - I know *I* will be wearing them.

Personally, I am a sucker for a design that is assymmetrical and lacey - very summery, you know?

I always love to see your designs!

I reckon crochet vests have to come back soon. I still dont think ponchos are out, and Shawls will be arround forever. Not that I am a fashion expert, but I do remember vaguely that crochet vests were a hit way back then..

like this:

http://web.archive.org/web/20011117183035/www.cei.net/~vchisam/groovy/7502.html

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/cms-vest.html

or this sort of jazzy number:

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/cce-grannySquareVest.html

I sure hope they aren't out! I have almost 40 ready for the craft show I am doing the end of the month!:lol

I am so relieved to hear your comments so far. I was told by a publisher that ponchos are on the way out (or words to that effect). I thought to myself - I don't think so!! She should visit Crochetville and read what people 'in the know' say. I am disappointed that they didn't want to publish my baby ponchos. There aren't any books or leaflets for baby ponchos - that I have found anyway. Of course there are other publishers, and I will submit them elsewhere. I'm convinced people will still buy poncho patterns, as long as they're 'different' and interesting. I just wanted your opinions. I will post more pics later when I get them loaded onto Photobucket, but here's the Newborn Poncho. I posted it previously, but in case you missed it, here it is. It's made with 2 skeins of Lion Brand Velvet Spun and half a skein of Bernat's Baby Eyelash. Our grand-daughter, Kendal, was 1 & 1/2 weeks old in this pic. She felt so good, holding her in this super-soft poncho. It's quick and easy to make too.

Kendal1.jpgVelvetspunnewbornponcho.jpg

I sure hope they aren't out! I have almost 40 ready for the craft show I am doing the end of the month!:lol

I wish you all the luck! I'm sure you'll do well. You have sure been a busy lady!! Are they all alike, different colors, or all different patterns? If you don't mind my asking, what kind of price to you get for yours? (Don't answer if you don't want to! I'm just curious) I get anywhere from $75 to $125, depending on the design, yarns used, etc. At one craft show, I had just set up, and a young woman grabbed this poncho, and bought without a second thought. I had $100 on it. I call it Wearable Art Poncho

WearableArtPoncho.jpg

This picture does not do the poncho justice. It's prettier and more colorful than this IMO.

No way!!! The trend for the spring (from what I've seen) is that ponchos, shawls and wraps are definitely in! I also am seeing spring scarves.

hope this helps...

:wangel

Ack, that is SO cute I almost can't stand it!!!

:lol Thanks! I need to load my lacey, summery ponchos and post them! :hook I'm like you, I love the asymetrical (sp, one s or two?) raggy, shaggy, scraggly look. :D

No way!!! The trend for the spring (from what I've seen) is that ponchos, shawls and wraps are definitely in! I also am seeing spring scarves.

hope this helps...

:wangel

Definitely!!! Thanks. I knew my C-ville buddies would tell it like it is. I want honest opinions, cause I don't want to waste my time & energy designing things nobody wants! :( I am totally not done with designing ponchos and shawls!! :lol

I don't think ponchos are out either, particularly among the younger groups (since that's what I'm most likely to see - lol) - the girls at my dd's school still wear them (she's in second grade). I am seeing more funky (not freaky funky, just not the plain jane granny poncho, kwim?) stuff than I did a year ago.

I would love to see more utilitarian but quick to make, pretty shawls and/or stoles (for me :D). I'm still not sure about ponchos but that's more because I need lots of movement (I get trapped in the sides) and I am super clumsy so they just don't work well for me (I frogged the one I actually made myself).

I reckon crochet vests have to come back soon. I still dont think ponchos are out, and Shawls will be arround forever. Not that I am a fashion expert, but I do remember vaguely that crochet vests were a hit way back then..

like this:

http://web.archive.org/web/20011117183035/www.cei.net/~vchisam/groovy/7502.html

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/cms-vest.html

or this sort of jazzy number:

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/cce-grannySquareVest.html

Oh, I love that Gypsy vest. Where's my crochet hook I must get busy!!! Ha!

Shelle, I LOVE that poncho - what yarn did you use? It is BEAUTIFUL!!

I would love to see some of your summer poncho patterns!

Just wanted to add - I don't mean necessarily classic pretty, that can be funky, unique, etc - it would be fun to have a stole/shawl to wear in lieu of a coat (I hate wearing coats) when we start hitting the cooler days of spring, or in the cooler summer evenings.

Kendal1.jpgVelvetspunnewbornponcho.jpg

Shelleden,

will you be posting or selling the above pattern for the ponchos you showed in the earlier post? That is a really cute poncho, and THAT BABY IS ADORABLE!!!!!!! OHMYGAWSH!!!! You are so lucky!!!! I could just hug her and hold her all day! She is precious... To be honest, she steals the shot! Glad you put the picture of the yellow one, 'cause I couldn't take my eyes off the little Princess in Pink!

Shelle, I LOVE that poncho - what yarn did you use? It is BEAUTIFUL!! It's Lion Brand Velvet Spun, and Bernat's Baby Eyelash.

I would love to see some of your summer poncho patterns!

Thanks, I will get my camera out & post some pics!

Guest Catlizg
:eekOh no, they can't be out, they just can't (read with a whine). I just completed my very first project for myself - a version of the "Coming Home" poncho using Homespun fuschia and then made a mini-version for the little girl my daughter is a nanny for. I'm so proud of them and being rather vain, THEY HAVE TO STILL BE IN STYLE - LOL. Plus, I just made a striped variety for my SIL's birthday present.

IMO Ponchos aren't as "hip" as they were when Martha got out of prison but they are still in style. Personally I think Shrugs are what's in nowadays. I don't know that I'm right or not but seeing some of the amazing patterns for shrugs that are coming out and seeing them everywhere I believe they are the hot item.

As for me, I have never been a slave to fashion and could care less if it's the middle of winter and I'm caught wearing white shoes. Now of course I'm not going to leave the house looking like an idiot, but the only time I ever really followed fashions was when I was in High School. That was the 80's so I wore the hole Madonna theme, had a lot of friends who were punk so I shaved 1/2 my head and dyed my black hair purple. I always wore leg warmers over the bottoms of my jeans even if it was incredibly hot outside, oh, and of course the over the shoulder Jennifer Beals sweatshirts. Even so, if I didn't have the name brands it wasn't a biggie for me and I had big hair even way past the 80's so I think I'll be wearing ponchos for a long time to come. The "Be Mine Poncho" I made is my fave thing to wear when it's chilly and I have several "dress" and "casual" ponchos I just love to throw over regular clothes.

That being said, if ponchos are out, then you'll see me coming a mile away wearing mine! :devil

I am in the midwest and I've noticed that "ponchos" are just NOW showing up in the general population. I don't see a great many of the longer ones with fringe (other than on me). Mostly I have seen the short ones and the ones that look like a continuous stoll....is that what you mean by shrug???? I think those are pretty cool and may even try my hand at a "shrug". Also, I've noticed the use of more textured yarns and accent yarns.

IMO Ponchos aren't as "hip" as they were when Martha got out of prison but they are still in style. Personally I think Shrugs are what's in nowadays. I don't know that I'm right or not but seeing some of the amazing patterns for shrugs that are coming out and seeing them everywhere I believe they are the hot item.

As for me, I have never been a slave to fashion and could care less if it's the middle of winter and I'm caught wearing white shoes. Now of course I'm not going to leave the house looking like an idiot, but the only time I ever really followed fashions was when I was in High School. That was the 80's so I wore the hole Madonna theme, had a lot of friends who were punk so I shaved 1/2 my head and dyed my black hair purple. I always wore leg warmers over the bottoms of my jeans even if it was incredibly hot outside, oh, and of course the over the shoulder Jennifer Beals sweatshirts. Even so, if I didn't have the name brands it wasn't a biggie for me and I had big hair even way past the 80's so I think I'll be wearing ponchos for a long time to come. The "Be Mine Poncho" I made is my fave thing to wear when it's chilly and I have several "dress" and "casual" ponchos I just love to throw over regular clothes.

That being said, if ponchos are out, then you'll see me coming a mile away wearing mine! :devil

I love a gal who marches to the beat of her own drummer! :hook

I also think ponchos are not out yet. They are still being worn on TV by actresses. The girls at my sons' school are still wearing them.

I also agree that shrugs are really big right now and I'm seeing a lot of them. In stores, at schools...everywhere...

I think there is a difference between "trend" and "fashion". Publishers are going to go with what sells...they look at the bottom line (the dollar sign).

Many people will still love your beautiful baby ponchos, so don't give up. Try some other place. Good luck!:hug

Thanks for the good advice. I was disappointed at first, but then thought - well there are lots of other publications..... I think I'll try Crochet World, or maybe Crochet Fantasy. Here's a hug back:hug :D

Don't think ponchos are going anywhere for awhile except maybe more of them out there. With the new textures of yarn you see more and more patterns using a combo of yarns for different effects with the ponchos. They just keep getting better..

:manyheart

Archived