Do You "Yarn-over?"

Because actually, I don't. I "hook-over" by passing the hook across the stationary yarn. And whenever I have taught someone, I have given them the choice of "yarn-over" or "hook-over" approaches, they have always chosen "hook-over." I'm not sure why except that I think its easier to keep consistent tension, and makes the yo part of a neat swooping motion that creates the stitch. The hook jumps up, catches the yarn, the swoops down through the stitch with a nice little rhythm.

How about you? Do you "yarn-over" (pass the yarn across the hook with your left hand) or "hook-over" (pass the hook across the yarn with your right hand)?

(Lefties, vice versa)

I've never even heard of a crocheter doing a "yarn-over." Also, what you call a "hook-over" is what I and every book I have calls "yarn-over." Guess you learn something new all the time!

I am a "yarn over" type, but I figured this was because of how I hold my hook (like a butter knife). I wish I could get into the habit of holding my hook differently, and doing the hook-over, because after I have been crocheting for a few hours, my left wrist begins to make a snapping noise. Probably more information than what you really wanted to know with this question eh? :2blush

I hook over. I tried yarn over when I first learned to crochet but my tension would get all screwed up until I tried hook over. I thought I was the only one that did because all the patterns call for yarn over. I thought I was a crochet outcast. Now I know I am not the only one. :ghug

Hook over - as i started with a thread table cloth and the only way to keep tension was by keeping the thread tight in my left hand. I also hold my hook as a knife but have the butt end of the hook between my ring finger and over my pinkie. This allowed me to hold "tension" on my hook between the press of the pinkie and thumb.

I hook-over too. It's faster. I was just mentioning this in the review thread of the Happy Hooker book. Stoller mentions it on the back of her book, sort-of. But yes, I think most fast crocheters do it this way.

:think Do you mean that you actually move the yarn around the hook with the same hand you hold the hook with?:think

I move my hook, with my right hand, under the yarn which is held in my left hand, using the Pen grip and keeping my hands very close together.

I work with my thumb and index finger together, and work between that and the next finger. The other two fingers hold the yarn.

I notice that my left thumb moves up and down, keeping the tension on the work as I do each stitch.

Keeps a good tension if you keep your hands closer together and your fingers and thumb changing position a lot.

It becomes automatic so I had to really look at what I did with my hands to even try to explain how I crochet.

Seems like some are doing a mixture of knitting and crochet.

Interesting subject.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

I hook over.

I never thought about it either.

I haven't seen many using yarn over and when I tried it their way it was impossible.

Hook over is much faster IMO, too.

I find it nearly impossible to knit and am beginning to doubt I'll ever get it.

Archived