Fabric Crochet Rug

Hello Again

This rug measures about 26" across, and was made of 4 yards of black, 2 yards of green, and about 6 yards of yellow (a Queen flat sheet plus most of a fitted sheet). The flourescent light washed out some of the color but it is a mustardy yellow and a mossy green. The pattern, known as a "Tiffany" pattern, comes out of the "Arts & Crafts" movement. It is all single crochet with a K hook.

I used general instructions from "Crochet and Fabric Tapestry Rugs" by Diana Blake Gray, which I highly recommend if you are interested in learning how to make "rag rugs". I did interpret the pattern to my own preference (it is not the exact pattern provided in the book)

Fabric prep took the majority of the time in making this rug; probably 10-12 hours all told (cutting, joining, double-folding/balling up); once all my fabric was prepared, it only took me 5-6 hours to complete.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e344/revemari/ruthsrug_1.jpg

My Great-grandma Bessie used to make Rag rugs. She died in 1982 but her rugs are still in use and going strong in my mom & grandma's house. These rugs are machine-washable and can last up to 40-50 years! So I decided to learn the craft (my mom and grandma don't know how to do it) to keep the tradition alive. :) Here's the ironic part, after I completed my first rug I took a good hard look at GGrandma Bessie's rugs and realized that I am not using nearly the same technique as her! Her rugs are the same front and back so they cannot be single crochet! I have no idea how they were made, aside from a crochet hook as the tool. Oh well, I know she'd be proud of me for keeping the craft alive even if I'm doing it differently. :hook

I like it! It's very nice! :yay How do you use it? In what room do you keep it?

Elena

Its in my living room, in front of a chair that doesn't get sat in very much (aside from the cats of course). This way I can see it all the time but it doesn't get excessively walked on :) It is machine washable should the need arise.

To the poster who was wondering about the fitted sheet, they are easy to use. Cut out the seam and the elastics. This will leave you with a big rectangle with a large notch out of each corner. Cut in strips and proceed. Just find another piece of fabric that matches or accents the sheet (the $1 section at Wal-Mart has some good stuff, just keep your eye out) to make up enough to finish a rug. Or you can say to yurself "what good is a flat sheet when the matching fitted is worn?" and use them both. :D Even using both sheets, you'll probably need an accent color anyway. It takes a lot of fabric.

A couple words of advice to anyone who aspires to rugmaking.

1. Run -- do not walk -- away from any pattern that advises cutting on the bias. This is a "fixit" for a increase pattern that is messed up.

2. Go to Rafter-Four Designs and buy either "Crocheted Rag Rugs for the Beginner" or "Crocheted and Fabric Tapestry Rugs." You will be glad you did. I have not seen any pattern on the internet that is written for the true rugmaking beginner as these are.

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I am still a bit amazed that *I* made that (even while I was making it I was kind of amazed, LOL).

Or you can say to yurself "what good is a flat sheet when the matching fitted is worn?" and use them both.

Like I said, not ready to cut the flat. My sheets were expensive and the top has scroll work on the top edge where you fold it down. It matches the pillow cases, shams, throw pillows and comfortor. I can probably find something to match or accent it for the fitted.

You're right about an accent color though and I already figured on that. :lol

This will leave you with a big rectangle with a large notch out of each corner.

Not my sheets. Both that one and another set I have actually have extended elastic. The worn one has elastic all along two sides. The one on my bed now, has it all around. ;)

Archived