I Felt My Felted Bag Had Problems!

Roli

Here are two pictures of my felted bag, before and after. I had Paton's Classic Merino Wool left over from Josi's Poncho and I used it for this bag. I went by the "Well-Traveled Bag" on CPC and made the boxy bottom, then crocheted around in spirals. I was sorry about not joining the yarn after each round because color changes showed up as an uneven place on the side. The flowers were by Dot and one was out of a magazine.

I have a double sink so I hand felted the bag by swishing it with my hand and dunking it alternately into hot and cold water. The problem was that the paprika and gold colors felted but did not shrink like the rest of the yarn. I ended up with a bag that tapered inward from the bottom to the top:eek ! Because of this, I had a flared sort of bit at the top and not enough in the sides to fold inward so I could attach the strap. I ended up folding down the top to make a cuff and sewing the inside of the strap to the lining for support. I also had to add a giant snap inside because it gaped.:blush

Before dimensions: 14"W x 10"H x 4 3/4"D

After Dimensions: 12 3/4"W x 7"H x 4 3/4"D

feltbag02300x400.jpg

Perhaps it's because of the way you felted it? My LYS owner told me if you didn't have a top loading washer you had to use boiling water and do it on the stove while stirring like a wild woman. But even when washing it it can take many times to actually felt. Still you recovered it nicely and it doesn't look bad at all.

Thanks for the encouragement! I actually did use boiling water and used about 6 or seven rounds of vigorous aggitation. The wool felted well, just out of proportion to the original. I find it strange that some colors don't shrink at all! I'd do it again, though this time I'd do an oval bottom and make a different strap.:hook

Were they different brands of wool? I have had that type of experience before with different brands and have also had to fold the top down. In my case, as in yours, it turned out just fine. I really like the way your bag came out!

How odd; I made a bag using the Paton's Classic Merino and actually used the paprika and gold colors along with a green, and they all felted equally well. I wonder if you just got a bad batch? But honestly I like the looks of your bag so I wouldn't call this a problem at all, just an unanticipated result!

Archived